Scope ?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by GREASEMONKEY, Dec 3, 2009.

1. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY New Member

I have a new mini 14 tactical LE model. I got it to serve as a hybrid weapon. It can be folded short for home protection, or full lenth for varmit shooting. My question is about the scope. I mounted a 3x9x32 scope on it for 75-100yd shots when hunting cyote/beaver. I also want to mount my red dot scope on it for shorter distance.

If I mount the red dot on the top of the fore end, and the rifle scope in the ruger mounts, will that work? I have seen tactical short range rifles with this setup before. I can't see any reason it would ceate a problem, as long as my red dot scope is not a magnified one. The rifle scope should peer directly through the unmagnified red dot scope, correct?

Yes I know that removing th erifle scope causes it to become out of adjustment, but not my mutch. I have been removing my scope on my ruger hunting rifle for years, with only minimal adjustment needed after. Nothing that would cause me to miss a cyote or small animal at 75-100yds. Ruger's ring mounts are machined close enugh, and I mark the tightening screws. That's not my issue, the red dot is!

2. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Well if you are talking about mounting the red dot on the fore end and the scope directly behind on the Ruger provided scope rings then your red dot will still be magnified so..... that doesn't really help you for close in work if you don't want the magnification. Am I reading it wrong?:confused: If you want an un magnified red dot you are going to have to take off that scope.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this correctly, it should work fine. When your scope is on the rifle, the red dot sight is turned off, allowing you to see through the sight. And when the red dot sight is turned on, the scope is off the rifle.

If it was me however, I'd just turn the scope to it's miminum setting (3x) instead of mounting a red dot sight and repeatedly removing/reinstalling the scope. At 3x, you should be able to still use the scope with both eyes open.

4. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

There you go Greasemonkey, guess I read it wrong:eek:

5. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY New Member

That's it! I just wanted to be sure it was gonna work. I have seen it before, but never had a weapon that would support both!

THANKS GUYS!!!

6. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Hey Grease nice job it looks great. How does it handle?

7. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY New Member

It's keeping consistant 2" groups at 80-100yds, and holds 12-15" groups rapid fire at 80-100yds. I consider that to be an amazing feat considering the rifle scope is a junk powerline that i got second hand for 10-15bucks.

I took it hunting with me last weekend. I did some damage to the otter & beaver population. Next trip I'm gonna try for a cyote or 2.

BTW: hip firing this beauty is friggin sweet! It's completely controllable, and consistant rapid firing from the hip. It's fun, but expensive. I can feather the trigger and empty a 20rnd mag in a few seconds. I rapid fired it shouldered, and from the hip @ 45yds. I was able to place 16+rds in a 5gal bucket both times.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  8. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

you don't need that unless you are going to take long distance shots i can hit the 10 ring and 9 ring, 28 in the 10 ring and 2 in the 9 ring at 300 meters with metal sights. i have seen over the years that the less u have on your rifle the better it shoots.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What type of rifle you use for 300meters using only open sights?
    Just wondering if it the same rifle you did this with?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Mighty impressive right there!

11. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

i used my mini 14 its real accurate it has the old m-1 type sights i love it i have shot the ar's and m-4's and m-16's and this is way more accurate, i shot all these in the ,marine corp and as a police officer.

12. Shihan

A Mini14 at 300 meters(328 yards), sure it is a nice rifle, not gonna shoot that well at 300 meters.

13. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

I KNOW ITS HARD FOR SOME PEOPLE TO BELIEVE IT BUT I DID IT ITS REALLY ACCURATE ILL POST a pic OF THE TARGET AS SOON AS I GET IT FROM MY UNCLES RANCH

14. Shihan

Were you shooting Standing, sitting or prone? Was it in a bench rest?
    Excuse my skepticism but you posted first about 28 shots in the 10 and 2 in the 9 at 100 yds, then in another thread the distance increased to 300 meters. I am sure you can hit the target, but 28 out of 30 in the 10 ring at 328 yds?

It is Corps, with an S.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  15. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

Don't worry ill post up the target as soon as i go back to the ranch to pick it up

16. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

I am sorry but i made a mistake on the post i meant 300 feet not 300 meters i will soon post up a target that i used just bear with me. I never intended to lie or make this up just a simple mistake.

17. Shihan

OK, 300 feet that sounds more like it. I was just having a hard time believing the 300 meter distance. It is all good.

18. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

here is a target i did earlier today at my gun club firing range this was done at 150 yards i was in the prone position metal sights

Attached Files: