Scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by CasperUSMC, Feb 1, 2014.

1. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

Sent from my PG06100 using Firearms Talk mobile app
    Anyone ever used a nikon monarch 3. Lookin for some user reviews. Heard lots of good things an the price is right. Plan to mount on a rem 700 sps tac

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have never bought the Monarch series, but have looked through them a few times. seems like a quality scope to me. i have had a couple of the Nikon ProStaff scopes and really like them and the Monarch series is suppose to be an even better scope than the ProStaff series.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

A hunting buddy mounted a monarh III on his newest rifle and we all have shot it. Seems like a very good scope. If I needed one today that would be my choice in the 2.5-10 x42 for a up to 308 class cartridge, 3-12x42 for a magnum.

4. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

Thanx guys. Imma go with the 4-16x42mm with bdc.

5. Axxe55

Casper, are you going to use the rifle for hunting or target shooting?

reason i ask is this. i have had a couple of the Nikon scopes and i strictly target shoot now and found for target shooting i prefered the regular crosshairs for target shooting over the BDC recticle. IMO, the BDC recticle would be more beneficial to a hunter than a shooter. just something i want to pass on.

6. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

they are great scopes and are compatable to varix 3s.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Firearms Talk mobile app

7. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

I plan on doin both. Target and hunt with it. I will do more target seems has rifle hunting not permitted in my state cept for coyote an hog

8. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

A couple of months ago, a range member showed up with a new Nikon Monarch III in the higher power range of optics. After zeroing in his new Nikon he will eventually have his target at 200yds. So happens, he had the same power range, but previous model Monarch scope on another rifle with him. He will comment to me after finishing shooting, that he thought the optics clarity on his Monarch III was "not as clear" as his older one. In short, he was kinda disappointed in his new Nikon. Sorry, he made no other comments about his Monarch III.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

He should have returned it. Glass cutting techniques and coatings are improving almost as fast as computer technology.

10. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

Well i got the scope. Seems real clear to me, but i not a scope expert. I compared it to a $1500 swaraski, prolly spelled that wrong, they looked bout the same to me. Havent got the rifle in yet. I will say how it goes on the range when i get it all set up.

11. Axxe55

lens and coating technology on scopes has come a long way in the last several years. what you can get now compares to scopes costing twice as much several years ago, and will suit the needs of most shooters and hunters. with the exception of very long distance precision target shooters, most us will be able to suffice with a quality scope in the $300-500 range, for most of our shooting needs.

12. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

Rifle arived at the dealer. Hopping to pick it up, get it all set up, an off to the range

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

congratulations. Take care of that scope and your grandchildren will enjoy using it!:)

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Where the really expensive scopes shine is when there is little light available.

And post some pics for us, we like pics :)

15. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

If i figure out how to put up pics. I will when i get is all dun. Wanna put a few other things on it

16. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

Few more small accessories an ill be good

Attached Files:

17. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

One thing i see thats seems off to me. Maybe optical illusion. My scope seems like its not aligned with rifle. Seems crooked to me. Anyone know why?

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Are you mounts straight? Maybe remove the mounts and carefully screw them back down, each screw at a time in turns until they are torqued down to specs.

19. CasperUSMC

CasperUSMC New Member

To me it seems like the way i see it that the bases r not straight. They have no play in them. This is my first scope setup

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Casper,
    Most has already been said! I have several different brands of scopes. But the bottom line for the money a guy can't beat NIKON! I have a few of them also and would with out reluctance buy another one if needed! You can't go Wrong! The only imorvement a guy could make to any scope is to go with a 30MM Tube. Once you use one you are spoiled! :D