Scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by sigman84, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Looking for a decent mildot scope for my 30-06 for around $400-$500. Range will be out to 500-600 yards.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

3. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

New scope!

Attached Files:

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What did you buy? I hope hope works, but I doubt it. Not sure what you want to do w/ the scope either. You have a short action scope on a long action rifle.

5. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

4-12 power should be plenty to shoot your 400-500yd requirement. And you can't go wrong with Leupold either.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya. The ballistic table is good for 500 yards which is about the farthest I can shoot. And not sure how its a short action scope either.

7. jpattersonnh

The 12.3" length and 5.6" of tube will make it difficult to mount on a long action.
    You may find you can not get it set back far enough to see correctly. You will most likely need an extended front ring. It will set over the open portion of the receiver, other wise w/ standard rings the front bell may make it impossible to mount and see correctly. You may be able to find a base that is a complete rail, that would help, but could cause issue loading and ejecting.

8. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

O OK. Well the bolt clears the scope fine. Won't have a chance to sight in or anything anytime soon due to snow.

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I beg to differ with that statement!

10. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Why is that? Never had a problem with Leupold.

11. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I'm also interested to know why. I have never had any problems with them, but hey.... people have their preferences.....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

12. jpattersonnh

I have an idea of what Tex is talking about. On there lower end scopes, they have an issue w/ repeatability as far as elevation a windage adjustments. The turrets have very sloppy. The eye relief also has been an issue when making the power higher. For a $300.00 scope they are way over priced. JMHO and what I've seen others experience.

An aquentence bought a VXIII 4-12x?? A few years ago, I bought a Sightron SII 3-12x42mmAO Big Sky. He was quite upset as he thought mine was a superior scope and cost less at the time. The turrets are easier, clarity seemed better, just not the same company they were.

13. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Take a look at Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 scopes. A couple of different reticle options,
    and pretty darned good glass for the price.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've got one leupold that works and its a rimfire. I will never buy another leupold optic.

Vx7 delaminated lens designed supposedly for dangerous game rifles mounted on my win mod70 458winmag
    Mk4 4.5-14 lrt m1 delaminated lens mounted rem 700 xcr 308
    Mk4 cqb broken reticle erectors wont hold zero. Mounted ar15 5.56

I think they are junk scopes.

Mileage varies

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Bad Luck or trend? Are yours newer ones or older ones?

What do you think beats them in quality for the price points/features.

I have an ER M8-2x from the 60's or 70's. Solid as a rock, still has great optics.

I recently picked up a VX-II (Model before the VX-2) and am happy with it.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

All were in the last 6-7 years.

Ive gone over to trijicon nightforce nikon and vortex.

I dont know if im just unlucky its a trend for a few years or if issues were fixed but im not risking more money to find out.

Nikons i use on firearms that are mainly backups or secondary things i dont use a lot but still need an optic or in the case of the no longer available african monarch a reallllly rugged cheaper optic.