scope twists when shooting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gary16, Sep 23, 2011.

1. gary16

gary16 New Member

my .270 scope recticle twists counter clockwise when shooting. after 20 rounds it seems to have rotated 5-10 degrees. Is this common and something I have to live with? I'm afraid of over tightening the rings on the scopes and damaging the scope somehow.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you considered putting some tape on the inside of the rings, against the tube?

Wait, do you meant the crosshairs rotate without the body of the scope rotating? If so, i think that is a fairly beat scope, sorry.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No, not right. Scope should remain fixed once properly torqued in place.

Did you lap rings, are mounts tightly mounted to receiver? Have you tried swapping out rings...the ones you are using may already be damaged.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Is the entire scope moving in the rings,or is the reticle moving inside the scope?

If the scope is moving in the rings,make sure you have the correct rings for the size of the scope tube-1" or 30mm are the most common.A 1" tube will fit inside a 30mm ring,but you won't be able to secure the scope in them.

If the reticle inside the scope is moving,you have a broke scope,and need to send it in for repair or replace it with a better scope.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What he said up there ^^^.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sounds like you just need to tighten the rings more.