scope sliding

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Obamardo, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Obamardo

Obamardo New Member

I have a scope mounted on my .22 and it keeps sliding back whenever I fire because of the recoil. I have tried tightening the screws on it all the way but it still slides back, does anyone know a way to deal with this problem easily?

Thanks

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It sounds like your rings are too loose. Is the ring screws bottoming out before they tighten on scope? Either get another set of rings,mill about .0020-0050 off ring,or get/make inserts to go between scope and rings,shorten screws slightly, assuming you have a 1" scope tube and 1" rings.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Your rings are no good. I`ve never heard of haveing recoil trouble with a .22 rimfire, but bad ring are the only thing it could be.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You could have the wrong rings on the rifle. Rimfire rifles with a intragal scope mount on them will have smaller dove tail than a centerfire rifle. Look midwayusa.com and you will see that there are special rings for the 22 and air rifles.

My dad made this mistake once. On a marlin in 22mag. I was out shooting and missed a jack at 25 yards 5 times before the scope fell off in my hand.

5. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

What kind of scope? What kind of rings? If it is a quality scope, call the manufacturer and ask their customer service folks. I once worked at Leupold, and that sounds like a quick fix.