Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an old friend who has been to Africa hunting several times. He is self-employed and is swamped with his work. He had asked from help setting up the CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. I do have a CZ 550 in 375 H&H with CZ rings. Those rings are made of steel. The new CZ rings look to be made of aluminum. I would have gone with the steel CZ rings. Problem there is this items no longer seems to be offered.

My question is does anybody here have any experience or comments on getting a scope onto a heavy recoiling CZ rifle. There's a world of difference between the 375 H&H and the 416 Rigby, I have zero experience mounting a scope on rifle of that size. Friend is looking at several Leupold scopes for his rifle. Comments on the scope are also appreciated.

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Terry,
I am aware of the 416 a friend of mine hunts Africa somewhat often. I have shot it "what a beast". Jokingly I wondered who got the worst of it the animal or the shooter! :p Last I knew he was planning on going for the big 5.
Anyway a couple of years ago I put a Leupold MK-4 Scope on my 338 Lapua Magnum Rifle. Since i trashed the first scope I had on it which was a Millett. But I also have Leupold Steel Rings on it.

Reactions: Mowgli Terry

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware of the 416 a friend of mine hunts Africa somewhat often. I have shot it "what a beast". Jokingly I wondered who got the worst of it the animal or the shooter! :p Last I knew he was planning on going for the big 5.

There was a Number One in 416 in a local pawn shop. I was interested enough to do some homework. On discovering the cost of bullets and brass stopped that line of thought. Also, the amount of powder this round uses is huge. Friend did his homework and was not surprised. He had serious problems getting all this together during this nutball famine. He does have a Leadsled. We're still working on getting the rifle scoped.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Do not fire that rifle in a lead sled !!!
That's a great way to either break the stock and or kill a scope on the first shot.

The best way to shoot / sight in any large caliber rifle would be from a standing position using a good set of shooting sticks. It's also a lot less painful to the shooters shoulder.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Friend has already fired this rifle off-hand. He has used the lead sled with other magnum rifles and is aware of the dangers. I'll pass along your suggestions. He does have several shooting sticks and is shopping for a tripod.

He has decided on a Leupold 1.5x5 (VX-3HD 1.5x-5X20 CDS-ZL Duplex). Which rings remains undecided. Friend has fired some factory ammo through the gun.

He is starting to reload for this rifle. His choice of bullets are Barnes solids at the suggestion of his PH. This is his fourth trip to Africa. Friend did take a cape buffalo on his last trip with a CZ 375, Thanks for your insights and suggestions. Info will be passed along.

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Terry
TEX is right! Do not fire that rifle in a Caldwell Lead Sled! If he has, he needs to stop. It can tear a good stock up, wallow out the Barrel Lug area of the Stock if it is bedded it will not be for long! :eek:
And yes, on the Powder! My 338 Lapua Magnum uses plenty enough!

Reactions: Mowgli Terry

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks....Nuff said on the sled.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are talking a look at the steel Leupold rings. The CZ's are aluminum. Steel would be a better choice. Comments?

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Terry

You cannot go wrong with the steel Leupold Rings. I have them on everything from my 338, Remington 40X 308 Sniper Rifle to my Deer Hunting Rifles including the 7mm Rem Mag. They have always performed excellently. Just be sure he uses the correct Inch Pound Torque specification and a little Blue Loctite.

Send us some pics and a range report if you can! We love pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He sent me a text. He's looking at a top end Leupold 1-6 scope. He's doing the right things. Right now it looks like he is going with Leupold rings.

He has fired a few rounds offhand. He has power, brass and bullets. I'll keep everybody up to speed; Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Word of the lead sled finally sunk in. Guy is ready to listen. I don't think he has much support for his shooting in his daily life. That makes a serious difference.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Rifle is together and will be shot in this weekend. Turns out friend did get a Vortex 1-6 scope with a 30mm tube. I happened to have a new set of Leupold rings for the 550 with 30mm tube. Trying to put together a conventional bolt action hunting rifle these days is hard. I had talked to Leupold and was assured that these ringmounts would work on the 416 caliber 550 CZ. The Vortex scope looked good. The only experience I had wtih Vortex products was with telescopes and binoculars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts