Scope on my SCAR - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Gloves, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Went to the range with the SCAR-17 the other day and shot at 50 yards with the new Hi-Lux CMR scope with a SSALT by SWFA mount.

THE PROBLEM:
    I didn't bore sight it before I got to the range and couldn't hit paper at 50 yards. Went to 25 and found it was putting the rounds a foot and a half right! Ended up cranking the windage as far as it could go (29 1/2 moa clicks). That put the rounds 6" wide right!!! GRRR!

So I took it home to see what the problem was and went to do some boar sighting.

1. 2 dots on the door 2.5" apart.
    2. I see the bottom dot clear as day through the barrel.
    3. The reticule lands way left (as seen in 3rd pic)

THE QUESTIONS:

What am I doing wrong?
    More importantly, how do I fix?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is at factory ZERO. When cranked all 29 1/2 MOAs puts
    it closer, but still left by 1/2" (11 yards down the hall).
    [​IMG]

Please excuse the crappy blackberry pictures.

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Have you lapped the scope mount? I would start with that first and see if there is any improvement

3. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I have to lap the what? I thought that was just for scope rings. this is a full mount.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWv7SiBheV0[/ame]

this whole scope thing is quite involved. I'm beginning to see why people just slap a red dot on it and call it a day.

Even with some lapping... I'll bet it's still off.. we are taking 15+ MOA!

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The mount has to be off then, have u removed it an re set the whole mount then place the scope back on an check

5. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I've re-placed the scope mount 3 times on different locations up/down the rail. same results.

IS IT THE MOUNT!?
    I just put the scope mount on backward. Expecting the reticule to be on the opposite side. SAME SIDE, SAME DISTANCE!

Could it be the scope has a manufacture defect?
    Keeping in mind i have the SAME exact scope on my AR-15 that works beautifully.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

7. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Overkill0084, i hope it doesn't come to Jerry rigging it. This is a 1lb. scope top a 7.62 NATO chambered rifle. Even if the shim holds, I will fear for the accuracy of the next trigger pull.

I saw a Leopold youtube a while back that uses a mirror in-front of the lens. Factory default will be cross-hairs over each other. Makes sense.

Here is what I found:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

IS IT THE SCOPE OR MOUNT?

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd send the scope back to the factory.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Do you have another mount to try it on? If the same error is occurring whether the mount be facing front or facing rear, that would imply the problem could be either the rails (god forbid) or the scope - can't be the mount. Being an FN SCAR I would bet my money it is not the rails either :p

Contact the scope manufacturer and talk with them, maybe it is something they have experience with :confused:

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

An easy way to see if it is the mount would be take the other one that you say is on your AR15,and see if you can boresight that setup (scope & mount from the AR15) on the SCAR.
    If you can boresight that setup on the SCAR,then either the mount or scope that now resides on the SCAR has a problem.To find out which it is,take the scope on the SCAR mount,and switch it with the one that you have on your AR15.If you can zero the scope on the AR mount,then the mount for the SCAR is out of spec.If the scope will not zero,then it is probably the scope with internal issues.

11. Gloves

Gloves New Member

"An easy way..."
    I've been avoiding just that. I have a very nice zero on my AR-15
    and would rather not take it off. =(
    Ah, what the hell. Might as well try it.

if the zombie apocalypse comes and I get bit because
    my trusty-musty-crusty AR isn't zeroed... Txhillbilly, you'll be the
    first one on my bite list! No hard feelings. I'm just sayin'

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Why wouldn't it hold? Just clamp a bit of shim in the ring to raise/lower the scope as needed. If it slips, it would have probably slipped anyway. I've seen shimming hold up well w/ pistol scopes on magnum applications. I doubt your SCAR is that harsh in the grand scheme of things.

13. Txhillbilly

If you can set you turrets to zero on the scope,then it is super easy to do.
    Just write down/mark/or take a picture of the exact location the mount is on the rail of your AR,and when you replace it in the same spot and reset the turrets to zero,it should be dead on if the scope has any kind of decent tracking ability.

Even if you cannot zero the turrets,just write down where they are,and then put them back to the same settings when your done.

This isn't too hard to do.

I did a little research,and see that your mounts are just a Burris PEPR mount with SWFA's private label.Those mounts should be good.
    I've never had or cared for Leatherwood scopes,not that they're not good,I just usually buy higher quality optics.

I would bet that the problem is in the scope,not the mount or rails on the rifle.

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I don't get it :confused: ... I Bing'd rosin and got this :p

Attached Files:

15. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Txhillbilly, I'll try the scope swap tomorrow. So far i love the working
    CMR. I also have to go through the manual on page 5 to see if that will
    fix the zero. (Hi-lux got back to my inquiry).

Off-topic: The other 3 scopes i own are all Nikon with BDC reticules.
    Not much more $$$ but that's a lot of $300 scopes.
    Soap-box time: People say, spend same amount of $ or more on your
    scope as you did your rife. Unnecessary. there are only a few things i'm
    looking for in a scope and they can all be achieved for around $300.
    • Zoom (i admire the fixed scopes but wouldn't settle for that)
    • Clear glass (not needed to be the clearest in the industry)
    • Hold a zero under high shock
    • Durable/waterproof
    • Bullet drop reticule
    • Weight (can't be too heavy, but not needed to be ultra-light)
    • Shouldn't include electronics (led reticule light is ok)

So my question is, what does a $1,000 scope have/do that a $300 scope doesn't?

16. Txhillbilly

First off Gloves,There's nothing wrong with $300 scopes,if they work for the job intended,and your happy with their performance.
    Nikon makes some great scopes also,I have had a couple Monarch's in the past on some hunting rifles.But the lense coatings that Nikon uses are dark,and you loose about an hour of useable hunting light because of it,in morning or evening hunting light.
    Not all of my optics are upper mid range priced,and I'm not a brand snob,but I have learned thru trial and error that you can't beat good optics.
    We all would love to have a safe full of S&B's,March,U.S.Optics,etc.,but not many have the funds to do so.

I personally could care less how much money a gun cost versus the price of optics,I try to put best optics on a rifle for whatever the purpose of the rifle will be used,and at what ranges the gun will most likely be used the most.
    Hell,I have a Swarovski PH scope on a $350 Savage 12 308 that I bought used.It's a great hunting scope on a great hunting rifle.Then I also have a couple cheap BSA scopes on 22lr's,but they are decent enough scopes for what the guns are used for-Rabbit's,Squirrel's,and target shooting 100yds or less.

To answer your question of a $1000 vs $300 scope,just go shoot with each of them.You'll find out the difference's yourself,and then you'll hate ever trying out the expensive one-because you'll be hooked on high quality optics,just like everyone else that has ever tried them out.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Huh? The guy's just trying to help you and, believe me, he knows what he's talking about.

18. Gloves

Gloves New Member

When I turn, I can't be held responsible for my zombie instincts. Fair warning. That being said... I did what Txhillbilly suggested and that what I was putting off. (shown in following post)

19. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Tex, I removed my other Hi-Lux CMR from the Safariland mounts on top of my AR-15. :eek:

Next I dropped the functional scope onto the the SWFA S.S.A.L.T. mount on the SCAR-17...

Without any scope adjustments this is how it looked:
    [​IMG]

PERFECT! the top sticker is set 2.5" above the bottom one. The scope on the SCAR sits
    3.5" above the barrel. So I'll be calling Hi-Lux at their next business hours to see if they
    have anything more to say. Otherwise I'll be calling them on their 'Limited Lifetime Warranty.'

Once zeroed with a working CMR scope I'll be quite happy.

Tex, I placed the working scope back onto my AR and like you said, I do expect that it'll be
    within 1MOA of when I took it off. No problem!

Thanks for the support guys! I'll let you know how the customer service is.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012