scope on my AR help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jon1992d, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

ForumRunner_20111210_234603.jpg

As you can se the scope on my ar 15 is sitting on the barrel. It is not pulling or stuck on there tightly it just fits perfectly on top. But im worried about it. Will it damage the scope when i fire or pit it off sight at all since it is touching? Sorry if i explaned yjis odd but im new (ish) to guns. I can more details if needed.

2. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

If your seeing the picture upside down its because i took it with my cell phone sideways i apologize

3. Scratch

Scratch New Member

What about getting a riser for it...?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

It can throw yoir shots off. It wont damage the scope shooting 223/556 but you should get a little higher set of rings

5. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Thats what i figured and i was planning on buying higher rings. I just wanted to make sure i wasnt gonna bust anything tomorow shooting. thanks to the so called expert at the local chain sporting store i got rings that dont fit for the ar. Thank you both for the help tho

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Won't it interfere w/ the barrel as it flexes? And if so is it even a problem?

7. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

It would probably be best for you to get a one piece scope mount that is designed for AR platforms. For about $60 you can get a high rise cantilever scope mount from RRA, or the Burris PEPR mount for about $90. It looks like you are using individual Weaver rings, which can cause problems such as what you are seeing, as well as possible eye relief problems.

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Jon, your set-up looks pretty low to me. I went with RRA mount mentioned above by VMkeith that I got at Joe Bob Outfitters for around $55. It fits perfect and is rock solid. It also places the scope at the perfect height that allows for very comfortable cheekweld and eye placement. It also comes in a 30mm tube size if you need.

Joe Bob's is a site vendor/sponser and I highly recomend them. Excellent service and quick shipping. Here's a link to the scope mount I bought from them:

Cantilever Scope Mount

They also have the Burris PEPR for around $70:

Burris AR-P.E.P.R Mount 1 Inch W/PTOP

I don't have the large aperture bell on the front of mine like you do, but you can see how it will work well with one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Ill definetly check them out. But if i just bought rings that raise the scope up would that work too?

10. ALS11

ALS11 New Member

Thanks for the Joe Bob link. I too am looking to mount a scope on my AR. Now..... what scope to buy?

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Jon, it looks like you are using "low" rings. They come in a variety of heights including medium, high and extra high. If you don't need the high or extra high to clear back-up irons maybe a set of good mediums might be just the ticket to get your scope up off your gun.

The big advantage of the one-piece AR scope mounts is that they can be dismounted and mounted easily without losing zero. That can happen with quick-dismount rings too I guess, but to a lesser degree I would think.

12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's a hard question to answer. What range are you going to be shooting most often and what budget do you have? Some scopes go up to $2,500 and beyond just for the scope alone. I'm not sure the average shooter needs anything like that though IMO.

I saw a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 today at amazon for $139 with free shipping. That's a good solid scope without going crazy on the price. I like the scopes that have low maginification for most shooting inside 100 yards, but also have some extra magnification for the longer shots. I find that I use 4 to 6 power most often.

The scopes that go to 16 & 24 power are for things like hunting coyotes and stuff at very long ranges. They're kind of big on an AR for my liking.

13. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Thanks for all the help. I just got back from shooting and everytime i shot it threw my zero off a bit i think ill go with the high rings and get the irons that fold down

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Best buy in an AR scope mount is from Larue Tactical. They're expensive but the best available.

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Better look again, the 1" cantilever mount we were talking about goes for $60 at the Rock River site where Joe Bob's goes for $55.95.................not so crazy!!!

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

joe bob shipping 6.75$ to wisconsin, rra shipping free over 25$.

shipping costs are often overlooked which is why some things appear cheaper than others

18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Jon, I bought mine with my MBUS sights, so I got free shipping for my order since it was over $90 AND I took advantage of the 5% Veterans discount offered by Joe Bob's, so I got my mount delivered to my door in just a couple of days for $53.15. :cool:

I can't ever seem to shop at Joe Bob's without running up a tab over $90, so I almost always get free shipping. ;)

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

ya shipping is where a lot of vendors get ya. i too seldom have to pay shipping by buying to little *sigh*

took me a hile to find that promag battery rail cover holder mbus2 sights at the same vendor in stock. ordered off are51 two weeks ago and its still not here yet *sigh*