scope mounts

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by austin125, Apr 8, 2012.

1. austin125

austin125 New Member

I just got a Nikon p-223 scope for my ar-15 and now I need scope mounts... I don't know what size I need or what kind or anything? Can someone lead me in the right direction please

2. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think it depends on what kind of upper you have on your ar-15. Do you have a handle? Is it a flat top? Etc.

3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Burris PEPR @ $70 or RRA Cantilever @ $56. I use the RRA and it works great. The one-piece mounts can be dismounted and re-installed quickly without losing zero. This is a huge advantage IMO.

Burris:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Burris_AR_P_E_P_R_Mount_1_Inch_W_PTOP_410343_p/bur410343.htm

RRA:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock_River_Arms_Hi_Rise_1_Cantilever_Scope_Mount_p/rra-ar0130t.htm

Both also come in 30mm size for same price.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I second the Burris PERP mount it's solid and looks the sleekest out of all of them... Here's what it looks like on my RRA.

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Attached Files:

5. austin125

austin125 New Member

Okay thanks guys! It seems like a really nice scope, I got it today for my 21st birthday. And does the front a2 sight show up in the scope?

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I use a 2-7X32 scope on my AR and even on 2-power you don't see the front sight at all.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Snakedriver and Ben, thanks for those links above, they were very helpful! I've been wanting to try a cantilever mount to gain a little more eye relief. Hard to decide between the three listed, the Nikon would match my Nikon 3-9x40 but it's listed at 12oz. The RRA is nice and lighter at 10oz while the Burris is 9oz and has the extra rail caps if you want. I finally ordered the Burris P.E.P.R. because I've always liked the design and wanted to try JoeBob's. Decent price at JoeBob's, the only cheaper price I found was used on Amazon (only $4 less).

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I like joebobs, and have ordered a lot from them. The best thing about them? If you know you're going to get a good bit of stuff, make any order over $90.00 and S&H is free, which, while the part may be a dollar or two cheaper and some other site, after adding in S&H, you wind up saving money by getting bulk shipped free.

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I think you made a good choice. The Burris PEPR is loaded with nice features.

Don't forget that Joe Bob's offers Veterans a 5% discount by adding THANKYOU to the coupon code. They also offer a 5% discount to Firearms Talk Forum folks by entering FT in the coupon code at checkout. Along with having really great prices, their shipping is super fast.

Quentin, when you get your scope rig all mounted-up, post a picture for us. :cool:

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Well, SH!T!! I did NOT know that. I've just been buying it and rolling along. If I entered both do I get ten percent off?

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It would be good if it worked that way! :) On small orders it doesn't make a huge difference, but it really helps when you get into the orders for several hundreds of dollars. Every little bit helps right? ;)

12. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I've spent a couple hundred at joebob's already. That could have saved me enough to buy another few toys to go with my AR!! At the very least I could have bought some ammunition.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I hope you at least got the cool free Joe Bob's t-shirt? :confused:

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

What t shirt? I got some stuff from BCM, a ball cap and some dvd's, posters and stickers, and a magazine, but nothing from Joebobs, other than what I bought.

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Here's the link to the Joe Bob's Free T-shirt deal: :D

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/category_s/70.htm

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Will do! I forgot about the Vet's discount too, thanks for the reminder for next time... :D

17. jharder0002

jharder0002 New Member

I got regular scope mounts and then just bought an inch riser [picatinny top] for $20 at a local gun shop. Amazon has them pretty cheap and they work fine

18. Car54

Car54 New Member

Quentin, give joebob (he's a vet also) a call, I'll bet he'll make the 5% adjustment being you ordered today.

I have had nothing but good service, quality merchandise, and fast shipping, from joebob.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Give RRA scope mounts a look over. great price, buy direct for cheap shipping and several sizes.