Scope mount question.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by StoneCat, Aug 19, 2012.

1. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

Iong story short, does anyone know of a set of scope rings that will fit a 1 inch scope with a 40mm objective, that mates up with a Remington 550-1?

(I already know "buy a 10/22 / drill and tap it for rails, etc..." But I'm dealing with an old timer who wants a modern scope on his old .22...)

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

3. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

That's not a bad idea. Thank you!

4. moron88

moron88 New Member

it appears any old medium rings will work.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

One option which is pretty good is the One-Piece rail mounts...like this GAMO for $14 ;)
    http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=200&product=One-Piece Mount

The Remmy 550-1 tends to have shallow cuts, so the GAMO or something similar would probably be best, and add a drop of Blue Loctite
    or some sticky goop or silicon that can come off later as due to the shallow cuts it is difficult for anything to get a good grip,
    unless you torque the heck out of it...which may bend/crack something...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Does the 550-1 in question HAVE dovetail cuts? I have 2 with, and 2 without.

7. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

Well we lucked out! It did have the dovetail cuts, and I was able to find mounts and the old girl now wears a bushnell banner scope. The old man's pleased as punch, though I did offer to buy him the .22 of his choosing to not alter this piece of history. But, for a man who hadn't shot for over 30 years, he's at the gun club every day. And that's worth a dump truck worth of rifles to me