scope mount for ar15 to sit above irons?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by greeney, Apr 24, 2013.

1. greeney

greeney New Member

I have an a2 style rear sight but without the handle. I am wondering if I can find a scope mount to mount on my flat top but still allow me to use the irons. I know it will be higher but untill I get rid of the front aframe and go with an mbus set I want to try to make it work .

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You don't need to get rid of your front sight base. Most scopes that are over 4x will effectively be looking past your front sight and you won't see it through the scope. Get a folding rear sight and a good standard height scope mount.

3. greeney

greeney New Member

So in that scenario I would remove the scope to use the irons? I actually have a scope I was fiddling with mounting and I did notice you barely see the front post. Would a better scope lessen that even more?

4. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Lotta stuff out there today. Some will sit high with the irons in the bottom of the FOV. Lotta electronic sights with some magnification that co-locate with the iron sights in the FOV and even if the dot is gone you can see thru the optics still using the irons. Maybe go to a gun shop that has some options mounted to gain some understanding, but don't buy till you come back and ask more questions.

6. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

...or a QD (Quick Detach) mount.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You will not realize the full accuracy potential without a good consistent cheek weld. Having sights set at 2 different heights defeats that. The front birdcage is easy to change out to a quad rail gas block or whatever you want. Mount your scope a the normal height and put 45 degree offset sights on if you want the fast back up. I use a 1-4x24 variable scope with no mounted back ups. I have back ups I can slap on if needed. you will need a forward offset scope mount to get proper eye relief.

8. CajunStyle

CajunStyle New Member

I had the same issue with my iron sight in front also. I got ahold of a BURRIS PEPR mount and it is amazing. Perfect for eye relief and only shows the sight on my 1-4 scope at the very bottom of the view.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That's the way to go, IMHO.:D

10. samnev

samnev New Member

I agree, that is the one I use on almost all of my AR's both in 556 and 308. You can get the QD model if you need to use your iron in a hurry. The fixed runs about $70+ the QD about $100.

11. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

OH GOD NO NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY See through rings. They are the worst thing this side of RUST and OBAMA.

with lower or no power optics you can Co-witness. With anything over 4x you are going to need a quick release type mount.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Here is my Vortex Scope 3x9x40 mounted with a LaRue QD mount. At any focal setting from 3 to 9, I do not see the front post. And if I want to use the Iron sight, flipping 2 levers removes the scope and mount, and then I can flip up the rear MBUS, and wah lah!
    [​IMG]

13. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Sightmark make a $100 tacpoint reddot (no magnification) copied after the aimpoint which allows you to co witness with your irons. Quick target acquisition, easy to zero.