Scope Mount for a semi-sporterized K98

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by JLesinski, May 17, 2011.

1. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

If you frequent the relic forum you may remember when I asked for information about a K98 that was left to me by a relative. I've decided I would like to hunt with the rifle and am wondering how I could mount a scope on it. Although it has been sporterized and historical value is all but gone from the rifle, it does have sentimental value and as such, I would like to avoid heavy permanent modification. The solution I believe I found is to get something like THIS. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used a system like this or has any information about it, how reliable it is, etc. Thanks

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Just be aware that if you use that mount it won't be as secure as drilled & tapped receiver and it will position the scope too far forward for proper eye relief unless you get a long eye relief scope.

3. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

Never used one on my Mausers but I tried something Very similar on a Mosin Nagant 91/30.

Just like bear pointed out, mine kept shooting loose, tried loctite and every trick I know of. Most I ever got was maybe 60 rds downrange before it moved.

They sell a lot of that style mount, must be working for somebody.

This was a high-end mount, around $40.00 and I could never keep it solid. I will say that it looks good in the drawer along with my other "good ideas" that didn't quite work out. You might have better luck than I had. :) Ken

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If the action still has the original bolt, Front and rear sight, barrel, and even the butt plate you may be suprised at what it is worth. I know a guy that has K98 stocks stacked like cord wood. Post a pic.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Let's see a pic.

6. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

Jpattersonnh, this is the same K98 that I posted up in relic/curio a month or so ago. The sporterized missing the front sight that was left to me by a family member who passed

EDIT:

Here is the original thread which has pictures right here

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

With the barrel cut down already, I don't think having the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount will hurt its value. That is, unless you want to restore it, then do not have it drilled and tapped and have a new barrel fitted. Then you can re-stock it and add all the correct parts.

Personally, I'd go for the D&T and fit a proper scope mount.

BTW, pretty good looking rifle. :cool:

8. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

How long would these barrels be originally? Holding it, I would have never guessed the barrel was shortened...

9. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Check with Sarco (SarcoInc.com) for a replacement barrel. You have an un-phucked K98 receiver, so restoring it would be worthwhile. A barrel and a stock with metal won't set you back too much, and once done will make for a nice, collectible Mauser. A piece of WW2 history.

So my vote is "Restore".

10. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

What would entail restoring it? Barrell, stock, what else? price estimates, value estimates?

11. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Check out this gunbroker auction. 229162922.

And this one. 231260769.

And this one. 230276124.

And this one. 230648228.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  12. jpattersonnh

13. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

Again, what makes you guys think the barrel has been cut down already?

14. CA357

The usual sign is that the front sight is gone. The barrel is generally cut right behind the military front sight to eliminate it so it doesn't interfere with a scope.

15. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

It appears to me that the front site has just been removed, not the barrel cut. There is an indent in the barrel for a screw or some way to attach the front site I believe so I'm under the impression that in order for me to restore it, I just need a front site and a stock... and of then some blueing touchup

[​IMG]

16. CA357

It sure looks that way. You may have gotten lucky. Someone with more expertise than me can tell you.

17. jpattersonnh

The front sight was silver soldered, It was heated and removed. The link I posted has the front sight.

18. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

So what I need to restore this then is a front site, a stock, and a gunsmith to silver solder the sight on?

Anything else?/where can I get a stock, how much will it cost me, ball park estimate on labor,etc.

Thanks for all the help guys

19. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

20. JLesinski

JLesinski New Member

Is that all I need? How exactly do I mount the blade to the barrel? It looks like it needs a band or something to attach to...