Scope Issues

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by rferguson61, Sep 17, 2012.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

So i picked up a Savage 110 last year that has a Tasco World Class 3.5-12x50 on it. My dad loves tasco and frankly it seems like a pretty nice scope. My problem tho is that i have to hit the stock in the exact perfect spot (slightly forward from where it feels natural) to get a good picture in the lens. If im to far back or forward it gets slightly obscured by blackness. Sorry if i sound ignorant but I really dont know technical terms lol. The scope is set in offset rings to that its moved back an extra half inch and I have the scope moved as far back in the rings as i can. It just seems like there should be a little more tolerance than a quarter inch window that gives you a decent picture. Thanks for the help!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

That is the focal point for your scope. You may need to adjust the mounting of the scope to physically slide the scope back a bit. TASCO is an OK vanilla sort of scope.

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Some scopes just don't have good eye relief. I've tried Tasco scopes and replaced them with CenterPoint. Also, I find that with scopes that mount high, like the 50mm, I need to have a stock pad to raise my eye level.

4. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I never thought of that...and it is mounted high; its in the tallest rings I could find. Im thinking about going to a 40mm when I get a new scope

5. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

So I put a pad on to see if that helped...nothing. It was still to far back...there was a black ring around the picture if that makes sense but once I moved forward the ring went away and it was clear and unobstructed

6. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

yessir, that is what is referred to as "eye-relief." better scopes have better eye-relief. if you are too far back, the black ring is apparent, and it "moves" as you move. if you are too far forward, the same happens. if you are too far up, it goes black, and the same as if you are too far down.

this is the only scope on the Tasco page that was close to yours........in the World Class drop-down tab:

World Class® Riflescopes - 3–9x 50mm

Oversized 50mm lens delivers maximum brightness. Features a 30/30 reticle and matte finish.

SPECIFICATIONS

Model: DWC39X50N

Power/Obj. Lens (mm): 3 - 9x 50mm
    Field of View (ft.@100yds./m@100m): 41' - 13' / 13.7 - 4.3

Exit Pupil (mm): 16.6mm @3x /5.6mm @9x
    Lens Coating: SC/ML FC

Focus Type: Eyebell
    Parallax Setting (yds./m): 100 / 91.4

Eye Relief (in./mm): 3" / 76
    Reticle Type: 30/30

Windage/Elevation: 1/4 M.O.A. Adjustments
    Tube Dia.: 1"

Weight (oz./g): 15.8 / 447.9
    Length (in./mm): 12.5 / 318

Finish: Matte

eye-relief is 3-inches.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

go buy a real scope, not a bb gun scope.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate to say it, but you need to start saving your money for a better scope.

9. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Thanks usebothhands. That was really helpful. I call BS on it being 3 inches...ive got like an inch before I have issues. What is a good amount of eye relief? Safe to assume the more the better?

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. the more the better. and the more expensive the scope.

11. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

HOLY HELL, an inch!!!

good thing you weren't shootin a rifle that kicked. u'dda prolly bn postin to us with stitches.........a "scope kiss" doesn't start hurtin til you feel warm liquid runnin down your face, reach to wipe the "sweat" away, and IT'S RED IN COLOR.......:eek:

12. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

It kicks some...its a .270. Its close to slamming into my eye. That's why im looking into a new one. Any idea what I could sell that one for? That's how im gonna supplement the funds to get a new scope.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

A used Tasco scope won't bring much.They're bottom shelf optics to begin with.
    Just put it on a 22lr,if you have one.They work fine on rimfire rifles.

One thing that will make a world of difference with your Savage 110 would be put a 1pc Weaver/Picatinny rail on it.You'll also need rings that fit on the rail,but you will be able to set back a short length scope on your gun.
    Long action rifles are difficult to mount short bodied scopes on without a rail mount.

If you have an older Savage with a flat rear receiver,you need this one-
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...e-110-through-116-flat-rear-long-action-matte

If you have a new style that is round in the rear,you need this one-
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...-110-through-116-round-rear-long-action-matte

14. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I was thinking about doing that. Like I said before I had to get step rings and it still wasn't far enough. I was told my scope was a "compact" scope but when the guy held a Leupold VX-1 next to mine it was 1/4-1/2" longer is all. Still he insisted mine was a compact. Mind you he was trying to sell me said Leupold.

15. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Post a pic and suggestions will come.

16. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

17. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

I have a world class scope 3-9 x 46 I think on a Ruger m77 7mm Remington magnum and im hitting the bullseye at 100 yards sooooo

18. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

Do a little research some scopes work best with certain type of guns? Brand is just how much money you wanna spend on one. They all have a limited lifetime warranty

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

A weaver or "tac" style railing would make it easier I've never liked fixed position mounts they don't give you room for the custom fit. The only tasco scope I own is on my 22 and it's ok, I might catch flake for this but I like ncstar scopes and BSA I put a ncstar on my 17HMR 30mm tube mil dot lighted reticle finger adjustable turrents I paid like 120 for it I don't really need it but I like how it works for the price.