Scope For R-25

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Cody, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

I recently got a great deal on a R-25. I've only ever hunted before with my pump action 30-30 savage. Or my Remington sportsman 12guage. Neither of my guns have ever had scopes.

What kind of scope can I get for this gun that's easy to use? Any recommendations?

How far does this gun shoot and is it as good shooting deer and hogs at close range as it is far away?

I've done some research on this gun but I'm not too keen on understanding numbers. I'm really kind of a beginner when it comes to guns. I grew up in the city and none of my family ever hunted or owned guns. I just recently started hunting two seasons ago.

I'll appreciate any helpful input you may have......Thanks

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Cody,

The Remington R-25 is a good rifle. With proper ammunition capable of reliable target shots in the 600 yard range. However that is not wild game range. For Deer and Pig I would say 200 yards at best. Talking clean kills here! Our next question for you is what kind of MONEY are you looking at spending? Then we can provide you with a better answer. And you need to be thinking of something that will offset the Scope Rings out toward the front of the rifle. Not just the picatinny rail on top of the Receiver. It is too short and you will usually not be able to get the proper eye relief If shooting it in the prone position. Several companies make these and I am sure the guys here on the forum can direct you to some. Each of us have our own likes and opinions. And that is what makes the FTF such a great Forum. Because we learn sometimes that those opinions makes since. And it is a better product/s or way of doing something! Otherwise put we learn form each other! Personally I like a 30MM Scope Tubes and for ARs I use the Rock River Scout Rail to provide me with that additional forward positioning of the scope. In my opinion for all around proper eye relief. The Eye Piece of the Scope should be located even with the Back Edge of the Charging Handle. But others never shoot prone with longer and larger scopes so they might prefer it closer to the rear! Good Luck and let us know what price range you are talking about,

3. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Any scope rings that says Picatinny or Weaver mount is going to fit the R-25. Depending on what caliber you have depends on how far the gun is able to shoot. So let us know and we can give you more info on that.
    First off, the R-25 is the bigger brother of the AR-15 which is synonymous with the M-16. Most often these bigger sized AR style rifles are referred to as the AR-10 or DPMS 308. The R-25 is a DPMS 308 with a camo finish pretty much.
    A 3-9x scope will do the job for a lot of people but there are others that just might fit you better. For example, I prefer the 6-24x kind of scope because I have the ability to keep it dialed back when close or crank it up for further out. Of course the higher the magnification the bigger the scope tends to be. My 6-24x has a 50mm forward lens, so its kinda thick compared to a 30mm which is pretty skinny compared to mine.

As for the ability for the gun to take deer and hogs...any of the calibers the gun is offered in will more than do the job.

4. Cody

Cody New Member

I'd say around $500 maybe. I just picked up the gun for $700. I'm not sure how much to expect to pay for a good scope. I don't want to cheap out and buy something that restrains the guns potential either. If it's necessary I will hold off and save my money to buy the right scope. I just really want something easy to see through. I fired other peoples guns before with scopes and have had a problem with seeing more black than the target. Also it may be embarrassing but I've popped myself in the forehead a couple times firing my friends gun so he suggested a forward grip...any ideas?

5. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I say put a Jesus scope on it.

If the military can aford them, we should have them too. Just because they look so darn cool :)

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What are you going to hunt with it?

What caliber is it 243, 7-08, 308 what?

How much do you want to spend?

If you are shooting deer at 200 or less a 6-24x is no good for that. If your shooting varmints at 500 a 3-9 isn't good for that...

You say simple to use. Simple would be to get a good high quality 4 or 6x and go deer hunting with that.

We need more info...

7. Cody

Cody New Member

It's a 308 and I mainly just plan on deer and hog hunting with it.

I'd deffiniatly say 200 or less.

I'd like to spend around $500 or less.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I myself would go for a fixed power 6x42mm...If you want a variable power then you are going to drop down in quality a little. Nothing drastic but fixed power is simple and rugged as all get out.

Leupold 6x42mm FX-3 http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Riflescope-P12755.aspx

For a variable I like 4-12x over 3-9x scopes. That is just me.

Nikon 4-16x42mm Nikon 4-16x42 Monarch Riflescope
    Burris 4.5-14x42mm Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
    Weaver 4.5-14x40mm Weaver 4.5-14x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
    Zeiss 3-9x40mm Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope

9. prkrgrp

prkrgrp New Member

scope

try the nikon varmint special with the bdc ret

10. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I like the Simmons scopes. There customer service is great and all of the rifle scopes from them I've used are clear. Most people who hunt in the brush (200 yards or less) are pretty happy with a 3-9x or a 4-12x. You'd be surprised what some of the cheaper scopes can hold up to. I never was a big Leupold fan though, guess I'm missing he big attraction of them somehow, just seemed like I would be paying for a name.
    What really matters is that you get what fits you best, kind of like how your friends gun didnt fit you, I'm sure it fit them though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There are good and bad Leupold scopes.

Take your simmons and place it next to a VX-III or VX-3 of the same power and you tell me your Simmons is bright and clear.

Sure some of the price of a Leupold is name but they do make some mighty fine scopes.

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I've always been one of those people who believe the glass should match the gun. I'm not going to put a $1.4K scope on a $700 dollar gun. I've never actually had the chance to compare Leupold side-by-side with a Simmons or Bushnell. I'm not saying they aren't good, I'm just saying I've never been a fan of the price tag, after all I dont have nearly the amount of funds most people that buy Leupold do.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Well I got $300 worth of simmons scopes sitting in my reloading room that are useless. Because they all broke. Leupold's may be more expensive but they break less and when they do customer service is TOP NOTCH. Unless your me that is. That is a different story though.

My three main guns are all topped with $500 scopes. Two Nikon monarch's and one Bushnell. My deer rifle has a Vortex Corssfire. Put that vortex next to a simmons and you will be amazed at the difference in clarity and brightness.

14. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Well I'm not quite sure why you would have $300 worth of broken scopes when you can get them replaced for close to nothing since they have a lifetime warranty. You practically have the chuck the scope across the room to void the warranty, but to each their own.
    All the shooters and hunters I know who use Simmons have never had to replace their scopes so I'll continue to use them. I've been trying to rattle my Bushnell Banner loose for several months now while its sitting on top of my 308 I've failed so far :D

15. Sniper03

Cody,

Do yourself a favor and buy a top quality scope. I have a lot of scopes that during good light and optimum environmental conditions are what I would consider Good Scopes! But you mentioned Deer and Hogs. There sets the scene! If you have not hunted then much it will not be long before you recognize that a lot of Hogs as well as Big Bucks appear like ghosts in that time period 1/2 Hour after sun set. Some of the good scopes I thought I had made it very difficult during this time period to detect if the buck had 6 or 10 points. And while it was still legal to shoot. So the ability of the particular scope to gather light at dawn and dusk is very important. Some of the best scopes I have found for this in the medium price bracket were Leupold and Nikon. I would also suggest you take a look at the 30mm Scope Tube Models before you buy. There are a lot of good scopes but when it comes down to it they have limits! It is all in the quality of the glass that is used. As we tell the guys at the rifle schools! You can not shoot what you can not see!

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Because 1 simmons (Top of the line when I bought it) laster all of 10 shots on my 19# 308. Take it off and chuck it. I don't have time to waste on them sorry.

17. Cody

Cody New Member

Just wanted to thank all of you guys for the help. Now I have a much better understanding of scopes than I've ever had before. Just one more question though...What do you mean by 30mm?

18. Sniper03

Cody,

I stand corrected! You will not need a Scout Rail on the R-25 you have enough room for proper eye relief by mounting the scope and rings directly to the Receiver. I had a mind set thinking of the 5.56 Receiver!:eek:

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

30mm is the diameter of the main tube of the scope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

30mm is a measurement, just like inches. It can refer to the measurement of the main scope tube, the part the rings actually grab onto or the objective lens of the scope. Some scopes come in 1 inch diameter scope tubes and are good but 30mm is larger in diameter and area and will gather more light.
    1" = 25.4mm diameter
    30mm = 1.181 inches diameter
    You might wonder why .181 inches might be better but you have to think of the area of the lens, those numbers there are simply daimeter.
    30mm diameter tube = 706.858mm (27.829 inches) area
    1 inch diameter tube = 506.707mm (19.949 inches) area

If you're hunting or long range shooting, go 30mm and dont look back is the common recommendation.
    Oh and dont forget to thank your high school math teacher. :D