Scope for Marlin 336

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Maxwell1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Maxwell1

Maxwell1 New Member

I'm looking for about a 2.5x fixed scope for my Marlin 336 SS. I've read briefly about the Leupold FXII Scout, which allows a mounting forward of the receiver. Is this a preferred location? Is it the only location this Leupold will work on? I think I'd like mine further back. Anything else I should be looking at? Purely for vanity, I'd like one to match the stainless. But mostly, I'd like one that sits low on the gun, is light, fixed power, and with a good field of view. Thank you for any thoughts.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Max- the scope that mounts well forward on the barrel is a "long eye relief" scope- similar to a handgun scope, intended to be far from your eyes to be in focus.

The flat closed top on a 336 cries out for a regular scope. A fixed 2.5 would be good for a 336 in most calibers. Have you been thru the Leupold website? While they are pricy, they DO have a VERY good rep.

3. Maxwell1

Maxwell1 New Member

Leupold for 336 Marlin

C3: Thanks for the reply. I found the Leupold FXII 2.5x28 IER Scout scope on Leupold's site. But it's meant to mount ahead of the receiver. I'm trying to find out if it can be mounted on the receiver, where I'd like it. Otherwise, it looks like a good scope. But if it only mounts forward, I'll keep looking. Thanks.

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Leupold also make the same scope that can be mounted on the reciever. The recever mounted scope will give you a much larger field of view. I have one on my muzzle loader and the last deer I killed with it was at 289 yrds. ( lazered) I would not have taken the shot, but the deer had already been hit.

5. Maxwell1

Maxwell1 New Member

Leupold scope for Marlin 336

Catfish--- Thank you for the reply. I scoured the Leupold website, and couldn't find a 2.5x with eye relief shorter than 9 inches. And I agree with c3shooter-- the 336 should have a scope on the receiver (if at all). It almost seems wrong to put a scope on it, but I want to be accurate if I'm hunting. If you have any idea what the scope is called, I'd love to know. Thank you for the response. And nice shot with your black powder. I appreciate your comment about not looking for long shots.

6. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member