Scope for a DPMS 308. (Long range)

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by safedman, Feb 10, 2012.

1. safedman

safedman New Member

Leuapold is just tooo pricey for the name.
    Any other suggestions. Looking in the 4.5 to 14 range

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a low-end Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire on my AR-45 (458SOCOM) hog gun.

I could not pass up the scope for the money.

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope

The Vortex fit and finish is excellent, the warranty* is unequaled and shooting with it I rarely use the high power, I am very happy so-far.

[​IMG]

* The Vortex VIP Warranty

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. The VIP stands for Very Important Promise to you (our customers) that we will do the following:

Repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.

Unlimited lifetime Warranty

Fully transferable

No warranty card to fill out

No receipt needed to hang on to​

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Sightron SII Big Sky,and Sightron SIII scopes are excellent optics as well as the Weaver Super Slam line.
    The Vortex Viper has a good following,as well as the Viper PST for a more $$$,but the Sightrons are better optically,IMO.

Without knowing how much you are wanting to spend,it's hard to suggest a scope.I tend to stay in the $500-1000 range with my optics.
    You get what you pay for in optics,99% of the time.

You can get some great deals on scopes if you spend the time looking.I have bought several higher priced scopes used for about half of what they sold for new.
    There are also several discontinued models on sale at different sites for great deals.

5. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Let's not forget about Leupold's "new" little brother, the Redfield Revolution in 4-12x40. Great optics and tough scope for the price. Won't get A/O for the price, but still outstanding for what you get. For even cheaper costs, Simmons 44Magnum scopes are also good.
    Del

6. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10x50 illuminated TMR reticle or mildot if you prefer.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

8. safedman

safedman New Member

That Burris looks right up my alley. I just can not see paying $1400 for a scope if I am not LEO or compeating in gun challenges.
    I would like clarity, solid internals to handle recoil and clear optics. Must have looked at 500 scopes :eek:

9. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I just put a Burris Fullfield II E1(4.5x14x42) on my .308 and I can't say enough good things about it. I still like a lot of other brands but I'll probably go with Burris from now on. It's been a long time since I've been that impressed with a scope.

10. xSTRIKERx

xSTRIKERx New Member

Don't get me wrong I like Burris,I have the 3-12x50 Tactical OD green but the scope is heavy as a cinder block.

11. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I think that's part of what I love about it? It's built like a brick s#!* house. I think if I dropped my gun from a tree the scope would break the gun. That's what I want from a scope.

12. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

13. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

14. falconstare

falconstare New Member

EDIT BY MODERATOR

Commercial sales activities here- including advertising- are limited to the folks that are registered here as VENDORS. If you would like Vendor Status, we will be happy to have staff contact you. Just drop us a message.

15. 762

762 Member

budget would be nice to know. i have a cheapo mueller on my LR308 while i save for a good optic.

the SWFA line is really good. i have a SS 10x for my remington. their customer service is awesome too. i had a problem with the elevation turret on mine, so i sent it back and they replaced it for free with their newer 10x version with mil/mil turrets.

for my LR308, i've narrowed it down to 3 scopes:

SS 3-15x for $699: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

Weaver 3-1x for $760: http://swfa.com/Weaver-3-15x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55482.aspx

Burris 3-15x: http://swfa.com/Burris-3-15x50-XTR-II-34mm-Rifle-Scope-P68067.aspx

i want something with a lot of adjustment in it so i dont have to buy a canted scope base. the weaver has the most out of all of those if i remember right. i've narrowed it down to the weaver and SS scope, but i cant decide for sure yet.

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Solid performers in a budget that I have found include Nikon in their Buckmaster line (very good glass, solid internals). Bushnell in their Elite Series. Redfield. I have not bought any of the Vortex optics, but several of my friends and relatives have them and swear by them.

17. BWM243

BWM243 Member

I have the Bushnell Elite 6-24x40mm for long range shooting on sale at Natchez for 360.00 reg 780.00 good luck O by the way I do like my scope

18. greenhornet-1

greenhornet-1 New Member

Like Doc said, It's hard to beat the Nikon Buckmaster for the money. I have 1 on my LR308 and love it!

19. Navigator

Navigator New Member

I've never understood the differences in scopes. I have an old Bushell 3x9 on my late 60s vintage Model 70 which is probably as old as the rifle and it is still crystal clear with no fogging. It has seen a lot of service over the years with my cousin hunting with it on horseback all through Montana, Oregon and Idaho.

I also have a fairly low end Redfield 2x7 (under $300) on another rifle and it too has clear as a bell optics. I also realize that I don't have the experience in long range scoped shooting as do most of you gents. Perhaps if I did the differences in a $300 scope and a $1000 one would be more apparent.

A couple of weeks ago while in Wisconsin I fired my friend's DPMS .308 and it was sweet. He had a Nikon scope on it that cost about a grand he said.

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

If he paid $1k for a Nikon scope, he really got screwed!