scope for a .22 rifle

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by mike1234, Sep 27, 2012.

1. mike1234

mike1234 New Member

Guys I'm looking to get a scope for me new .22 rimfire any suggestions and recommendations ??

Thanks

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What are you going to use it for?
    For general all-around plinking, I'd go with a 2-7x or a 3-9x designed for use with a .22, opinions vary of course.
    If you have more specialized needs, then you will need to be more specific.
    There are so many choices I don't really know where to begin with specific brands/models.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

4. mike1234

mike1234 New Member

I'll be using it for vermin hunting upto 120 yards ish .

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

120yds is pushing it a bit w/ a .22 LR, but it's probably doable with a good rifle shooting ammo it likes.
    Itty Bitty critters at longer ranges, I'd want at least 10-12X magnification.
    Something of this nature:
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/bush-rs-bnr-714124.html

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

stop by your LGS and take a look in the used section. i picked up a tasco 3x9. for 20 bucks. i bought it because after looking through it i couldnt believe the clarity. its on my bolt action .22 and so far so good. only hitting paper with it but hopefully soon i'll take some grey rats.

7. mdauben

mdauben New Member

If you are looking to really reach out there I would avoid cheap scopes. Clarity is at least as important as magnification for small targets at large distances.

I would start by looking at Nikon or Leupold rimfire scopes. I know Nikon has a nice 3-9x40 for around $150. I've had good luck with their products in the past.

8. TerminalE3

TerminalE3 New Member

Looking to put a red dot sight, like a small eotech or something on my .22 browning buck mark. Anybody have something set up Like that already or good suggestions? Not really looking for any magnification just a good sight.

9. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

When shooting Varmints, you never know at what distance they appear for each shot, so I would be looking at scopes with A/O(adjustable objective) or SF(side focus)to keep things clear. Don't know your price range, but Vortex, Nikon, Center Point, Mueller, Bushnell, Simmons have some good scopes to look at from $69 to $175 range. Above $200 look to Burris, Leupold, Nikon, Sightron, Bushnell(elite), and many others.
    Del

10. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Don't have anything like an EOTech type sight on my guns, but look to Burris, Mueller, Vortex. These 3 are very good Reflex Sights at a lower cost and will hold up over time and have very good Customer Service and can also answer any question you have.
    Del

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Good suggestion, I've also gotten a used, more expensive Nikon Buckmaster scope this way.
    I bet that Tasco says it was made in Japan by the sound of the glass you're describing. Those are some very good, tough scopes. Tasco 3-9, Redfield "Wideview", Weaver K-4 or V-9(?), and Bushnell "SuperChief"(?) scopes were very popular back in my day on hunting rifles, and are still very good scopes today if you can find them and their seals are still intact, with no loss of gas. However, the glass coatings on Today's cheapest scopes are better than Yesterday's higher end scopes if you think about it, but those older scopes are still good scopes.
    Del

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I use a 4x fixed power scope. I have no problems hitting the attached target at 50 yards. In fact, to challenge myself I often shoot it at 70 yards. I don't have a bench. My idea of a bench is shooting from a standing position using a tree for a rest. I have a box stock 10/22 with a cheap scope (Simmons 22 mag 4x32), a 25 shot magazine and a muzzle brake. The muzzle brake only serves to keep the barrel from getting stuffed with dirt. When I target shoot I do the best I can to emulate hunting.

Edit: the target is larger than in the image. I print targets out on regular 8.5" x 11" printer paper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012