Scope for .308

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by purehavoc, Jun 4, 2014.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im currently running a Nikon 4-12 bdc on my .308 . It get the job done out to 350 yards but im looking to stretch out to 500-600 and 12x isnt enough for shooting @ 1" dots on 12" targets at that distance for me and i really dont like the BDC for long distance . Im not looking to break the bank . I would like to stay under $600 since the wife is not working . Side focus is a must . Im looking to be in that 6-24 + range
    I have several I have on a list that falls in that range including Nikon Monarch 6-24, Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24 , Lucid L5 6-24 and the Millet LRS 6-26 . Dont get me wrong I would love to have a Night force or US optic but it aint happening right now .
    Anyone have any info to help on my choices of these specific optics ? I reaaly like the Nikon but at only 30 MOA of adjustment thats 15 up and 15 down , its not much . The Vortex has 65 MOA, Lucid 50 MOA and Millet at 140 MOA of adjustment . Im not interested in Sight mark or other like brands
    Help me out folks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The 308 is not a varmint gun, yet you are toying with putting a varmint scope onto it.

Big mistake.

2.5-8 or 3-9 x50 mm is perfect for the 308 in any configuration all the way up to 300 RUM.

Attached Files:

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I see what your saying , if I was shooting at just B27 torso targets I would leave it as is . Heres a peek through my current setup at 327 yards . As you can see its kind of hard to see what im actually looking for . Yes all 10 shots are on the paper but im trying to tighten up my groups a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Purehavoc,I'd suggest the Sightron SIII series scopes,but they are over $600. I have 4 of the 6-24x50 SIII's,and also a 4-16x42 SII.
    Do you have a 20 moa rail or scope rings on your set-up? That will give you enough range with your scope to reach out there. You may also want to increase the size of your bullseye a little when shooting longer ranges. Trying to see a 1" dot past 300-400 yards isn't easy,I paint a 2.5-3" bullseye on my 12" steel gong when shooting from 400-700 yards,and even bigger when shooting past that with my bigger gong.

5. rodl

rodl New Member

Swfa has a great deal going on vortex HS with a plain duplex reticle. I believe a they have a 6-24x44 for less than $400. I have the 4-16x44 on my long range AR and love it. If I had the extra money laying around, I'd buy the 6-24 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I looked at the sightrons and they would have been noted if they were in my price range but they are a little out of my budget right now . With a few of the scopes listed I dont believe I will need a 20 MOA rail for 500 -600 yards . Regardless if I do need it , no big deal . None of the listed scopes will fit in my current 1" rings anyway . I really like the L5 reticle but im not opposed to mil dot or MOA either , I just dont want another BDC for what Im using it for. Yes I will need to increase the bullseye size a bit for 500+ atleast visible anyway

7. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I am no sniper nor a scope expert, but I have read a bunch and can think. At a certain point scope performance and optics are totally dictated by physics. What you want to achieve and want to pay may not be equal. Science and economics don't always match up. If you are really looking for max performance save up and get what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just because the scope is higher powered doesn't automatically make it a varmint scope. as a matter of fact lots of people use very high powered scopes on many different calibers, even 308, that aren't considered varmint calibers for long range target shooting.

why do you have the bullet drops out to a 1000 yards on your rifle Shoobee?

do you ever shoot that far?

what is the longest distance you have ever taken game with that rifle?

i imagine the OP is looking for a scope for target shooting and not hunting given the distances he mentioned.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Axxe , you hit it right on the head , Im not capable of much more than 600 yards and I know that . I just dont practice with it enough be be efficient with it any further than that . Its not a precision gun but Its very accurate . I just feel that I can do a little better with a little more scope being able to see what Im aiming at . The BDC works well until you have to figure in windage and then your screwed . The BDC is great for hunting and general shorter range use , just not what Im looking for at this distance .

Here is my current load Im using

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  10. Axxe55

Havoc, i have had the Nikon Prostaff scopes with the BDC reticle and i would tend to go with the NikoPlex for target shooting instead. IMO, the BDC reticle was aimed, (pun intended!) at hunters mor than target shooters.

the Nikons i would suggest would be the Monach series. these seem to be in your price range and is the one i have my eye on for one of my rifles. they come in several different sizes that you can choose from.

some say the bad thing about Nikon scopes is that they are not as clear or don't pick up as much light at dusk or dawn, and they may be true and would apply more to hunting than target shooting.

my suggestion would be something in the 4-16 or 6-18 power for your suggested distance of shooting.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have one Monarch and I really like it , My complaint about the Monarchs is the limited adjustment of 34 MOA on the 6-24 and Im not sure that will get me enough adjustment for my distance . Im thinking Im going to need around 40 something MOA . Please correct me if I am wrong .

12. Axxe55

that is entirely possible. you could always modify the front base with shim material under it to move the scope up a bit. that use to be a method of long range shooters before they had scopes with more verticle adjustment many years ago. possibly even used before someone got the idea of building more MOA in the forward scope base too. just a thought.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Havoc,I sent you a PM.

14. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I saved up and put a Leupold VX6 1-6 Illuminated scope on my .308. It wasn't cheap, but it is really freaking nice. You could spend less and get a VXR that is still really nice.

15. bman940

bman940 Member

Pure, Check out Nikon's M-308 Nikoplex reticle. It'll let you dial out the distance if you use 168 gr. bullets at 2640 fps. I have shot this round to 500 yards and some buddies have taken it to 725 yards. This scope has 40 MOA adjustment and I always add a 20 MOA base just in case I get the opportunity to air it out past 600 yards. Make sure you check out NIkon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Yes, the BDC reticle is built for hunters but with Spot On I have hit soda cans at 500 yards. Here's my Remington 700 .308 with Nikon M-308 4-16

[​IMG]

16. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Nice target!!

17. bman940

bman940 Member

Thanks!

I wish I coud rake credit but it was a buddy who shot that group. I told him pretty rude to do that with someone else's rifle!
    Of course he's a LE trainer so I wasn't to disappointed.

18. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I have a .308 AR with a 4x12 VXR. It is a BDC but it is clear enough that I can see out to 600 which is my limit. I would go clarity over power. I have higher powered scopes but don't shoot them over 14. (Burris) The shake is just too much.

19. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

OP,
    Having ran the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil in a 4 day precision rifle course, I would recommend the Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 you have listed in your opening post. I just order another Vortex scope yesterday, for my 6.5 Grendel AR. I wouldn't have spent the money on another Vortex if I wasn't completely satisfied with my first purchase.

A target shot with my .308 bolt gun, a Savage 10 FCP HS-Precision. I was working up hand loads for it for the previously mentioned rifle course. These were 175 gr Sierra MatchKings over Varget powder.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  20. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Ok , after much more research and price shopping I have decided to step into a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24. I had a couple of other scopes recommended to me by others and they all fit close to my needs with a smaller price tag which was a bonus but after more research the vortex and monarch seem to have the clearest glass but the Monarch was limited on MOA adjustment and was a little over my budget also. The vortex no BS warranty is also attractive . Even if you unintentionally drop it and damage it or run it over with your truck they are going to send you a new one .
    I found the Vortex at Optics planet and they have a 10% off coupon and free shipping right now the total came up to $566.10 . I am ordering it tonight . When I get it I will post up some pics and give a honest review .
    Thank you everyone that helped with this decision with your offerings and opinions .
    PH

[​IMG]