Scope for 10/22 Ruger

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Brave, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Brave

Brave New Member

I am totally new to this kind of stuff and am somewhat of a senior citizen. I am wanting to put a scope on my 10/22. This would be completely for target shooting for fun. Do not want to have to rob my piggy bank for one. Any suggestions?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Had a similar question when I got my 10/22 a few years back. This is what I ultimately picked up for it. http://swfa.com/Simmons-22-Mag-Rifle-Scopes-C178.aspx

Here is my original thread with all the suggested scopes...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/drinking-10-22-kool-aid-24854/

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

How much is not breaking the bank?

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a simmons 8 point 4x fixed power scope on my 10/22 and my Marlin XT-22 MR. The first 8 point I bought was for a shotgun. It held up on the shotgun. Then I got a real shotgun scope. Once I got the shotgun scope I put the 8 point on my 10/22. When I bought the marlin I got another 8 point. Natchez shooting sports has simmons scopes on sale right now. Scopes that are over $100 at walmart are $60 at Natchez. They are not seconds. Simmons scopes have a lifetime warranty. I bought my shotgun scope at a yard sale for $5. I sent it to simmons with $10 for shipping. In a few weeks I had a new shotgun scope that is holding up very well. At 75 yards my shotgun consistently shoots 3" groups. When I am breathing well it will do better. I have COPD.

5. LeadSlanger

LeadSlanger New Member

Same thing I was fixing to ask. I have a Mueller APV on my Savage MKII FV-SR. It's a great scope for the money.

6. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I've got a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 4x32 on my 10/22 and I love it. Bright, clear and enough magnification for target, plinking or even squirrel hunting. I think you can pick them up for around $100 right now.

7. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

My advise - don't spend a lot of $$ on features your eyes can't take advantage of. (you mentioned that you were kind of a senior citizen). I am turning 50 this year, (not old in my book) and in my case my eyesight, I have noticed, is not as consistent as it used to be. I know a lot of older guys who have spent big dollars on optics, but optics do not make up for stigmatisms, dry eyes, other issues.

Mine has a very inexpensive (less than $40) scope (Simmons 4x fixed) on it, it came with the gun as part of a Gander Mountain package. I never intended to use it for much (the scope that is) but have always had a lot of fun with this cheap little scope. Not once tempted to upgrade.

On a good day I can shoot the face off a playing card at 25 yards with the ten round magazine. Can hit inside a 1 inch circle at 50 yds with every shot. Don't do a lot at 100 yards with my 10/22, I expect if I did the scope's limitations would be present. I only shoot at distances I hunt and I'd never shoot at anything in the field with a .22LR much beyond 40-50 yards. That's just me. I am by no means a sharpshooter. If I was going to put more $$ in my 10/22, it would be for a trigger.....

Attached Files:

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Bushnell makes a great inexpensive .22 scope. These sell for about $30.00 at Walmart. I have them on three 22s and have been very pleased with their performance.

9. Brave

Brave New Member

Thanks for all the input. You are right about these aging eyes but they are what I've got. Don't plan on slowing till I have to. I would be willing to put up to $150 if I have to. My eyes will not focus on the factory sights. That's the reason for wanting a scope. A friend mentioned Mueller APV.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Brave, if you want to even save more money on a nice scope, find one you like, then look for it on Amazon. By applying and filling out on line for the Amazon visa card, they automatically will give you from 30 to 50 dollars of free money to go towards whatever item you wish to purchase. This way if your budget is 150, you can even get ones in the 190 range, and with the bonus dollars get an even better deal. I did it for an Eotech 517 and ended up paying only 249.00 . That is ridiculously affordable.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I'm putting a TruGlo 2x42 on my Mossberg 702. It's an affordable red dot with some magnifying ability and multiple rectiles (sorry sp.) and both red & green views...a little over $100 from one of my local GS's but drop shipped from a 3rd party...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I put a Bushnell 3x9-30 on my 10/22. I can't remember what model it is, but I picked it up for about 40 dollars new. I can set it on 3 and hit anything within 20 yards, or I can crank it up to 9 for those hard to reach targets. My dad has always said that was overkill on a stock 10/22, but its funny how he complains when he can't see the target with his 4x fixed power.

13. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Best advice I can give you is go somewhere you can handle a bunch of different models and find what looks good for you. Buying too much scope is as much a problem as not buying enough. Find the model you want, write it down and check online prices. Some are quite a bit cheaper. Never pay the cabalas / bass pro price without some online shopping first.

Personally I use a 4x16-50 Leopold but I target shoot at longer ranges (100-200 yards) and don't want to bother with a spotting scope.

PS buy a good aftermarket mount and rings with the money you save. Leopold twist in base (I don't like Weaver) and good steel rings are well worth the price even on the 10/22.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I love mine with iron sights, but I used to have a centerpoint 4x30 scope,
    That is absolutely all you need and ever would want and their also pretty cheap

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

16. mboylan

mboylan New Member

At .22 distances parallax is a big problem. The Mueller APV is a perfect scope for a bull barreled 10/22. No matter what you do get a scope that can be set parallax free at 50 yards.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

My wife has the 10/22 custom that's using a short 16.250" clark barrel and Hogue stock , nice 2lb trigger and a scope bought as the budget was killed a centerpoint 4-16x40 from walmart It will focus down to 10 yards small enough to look fine on it and still allows for bug hole 25 yard groups. price is the same today as 4 years ago,
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-4-16x40mm-Scope/10248654

18. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I'll second the Simmons .22 Mag scope. Inexpensive and good enough for informal target shooting and plinking.

19. butterbones

butterbones New Member

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have a couple Bushnell sportview 4x12 scopes on two of my 10-22's. THey wqork pretty well and are not expensive. Simmons 3x9x40 on another one.