Scope and charging handle???

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Mossyoakman3006, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]Heres a couple of pics of my rifle and been having some troubles cycleing the rifle since the location of the rear end of the scope is so close to the charging handle is the best solution just to swap out the handle with one with a bigger latch and if so which one would be the best to go with and if there is another solution id like to here what others have done Thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

2. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nice looking rifle. How do you like that Nikon scope?

Is that where you want your rear sight?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the scope on my 458socom upper sits even closer than yours. i charge it left handed or just reach over with my right and hook the catch and yank. a tactical latch would be cool but i havent bothered since its primarily for hunting and dont really need it.

[​IMG]

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Its been a long time since Ive used a standard charging handle. Can you not just use the left side w/ your pointer and middle finger?

Get a medium CH from BCM and be done w/ it.

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Is the scope in the "perfect" distance away from your eye?

I would think you could turn the scope mounts 180deg and set the scope forward an inch or so, Just a thought.

EDIT...
    WOW, I dont know what I am thinking, Maybe just move it forward a bit.
    Best of luck

7. Mossyoakman3006

To be honest havent been to the range with the nikon on there yet I like the scope took it off my 30-30 turned it into a brush gun it worked very well on the 30-30 killed a pig with it very clear and the BDC was very helpful out at 200 yds, the rear sight well i just thought that was the best place to store it I keepin a allen key in the vertical foregrip just in case i need to take the scope off figured I can put it where I want it if I need it, back to the charging handle to be honest that thing just feels kinda flimsee dont really know how much side presure it could take always pulled straight back fingers on both sides of it, I might just be worrying about it to much. Should I be worried???

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Not unless you think you'll get into a combat situation. Otherwise, it might be inconvenient, but it works for you, right? An extended replacement handle is not real expensive and, like the others have said, would probably be an easy fix.

9. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

try a Badger Tactical Latch, or move scope forward a T-slot or 2.

10. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

That's the ticket I think, unless you just really want an extended latch. Right hand should always be on the grip, left hand manipulates everything (assuming you're right handed).

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yep, this probably is the best solution. Funny, I just ordered one a couple days ago. Don't forget the Model 3, you may want its larger latch. But it might be too much when the scope is removed.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

For me using one side instead of both is faster too.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have Badger Ord Tac Latches on two rifles and I love them. It would definitely ease your headaches in this area and they are a piece of cake to add. ;)

JD

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Same here. They're about half as much as a larger CH and it's one of those things that after you add it to one of your rifles, you'll end up putting them on several.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Oh boy, NOW you tell me. More money going out...

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mossyoak & Some of the guys!

Please do not take this post in negative light! It is only a suggestion! But what ever works for you works!!!!
    But I would like to start the Post by stating those are some FINE RIFLES!!!
    The suggestion is that you move the Scope forward until the eye piece is set forward until it is even with the rear of the Charging Handle. This will also let you shoot the rifle real comfortably in the prone position. If you haven't tried it with the scope mounted back please try it before you might become surprised when you do. Keeping in mind if whatever works for you that is great. But it will also help solve your Charging Handle problem. A Badger Tac Latch is a great idea either way. For those of you that have a Yankee Hill or Free Float Quad Rail on the rifle. There is nothing wrong with mounting the front sight ring or part of the rail on the Quad Rail as long as the Receiver and the top rail on the Quad Rail are on exactly the same plain!!!! You can check this by putting a straight edge ruler on the Receiver Flat top and see if makes level contact with the top picatinny rail on the Quad Rail. You can also use a small level with full contact with the Receiver Rail before checking the Quad Rail. I have an ATN 4X NV Scope that the front ring mount must be out on the Quad Rail. Also when pulling back of the Charging Handle with any of the extensions on them USE CAUTION! You can twist them if excess force is applied particularly in a fast motion! Just for information only! Great Rifles and Gear on all your rifles!

17. Mossyoakman3006

My only issue is that the top rail and the top of the receiver arent quite level, that is the reason I went with the mounts that I did since they move the scope forward alittle guess I'll just have to practice pulling the charging handle with my left hand. thanks for the help