Scooter for wife

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by NGIB, Nov 23, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While my wife is terrified of motorcycles, she's thinking of getting a scooter for fun. Want to keep it 50cc or below so she won't have to get a motorcycle license. I know Honda & Yamaha have them (at over 2 grand) and there's a bunch of chinese built available. Anyone with any experience in this area - please share...

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Get her the Vespa. They are the best scooters out there.

3. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Do NOT buy the Chinese made crap. Any of the Japanese, or Italian options are good.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Keep a couple of things in mind #1 the smaller diameter wheels on the scooter mean less stability at speed (falls over easier) than a full-sized bike. #2 a small vehicle can be VERY hard to see. One of my dad's buddies has ridden with his wife for years, mostly Goldwings; she lost a leg last year in an accident (dumb luck) and hasn't been the same.

I would consider a trike and a blindingly orange jacket for safety.

http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.php#/overview/Piaggio MP3 250 A bit more than you are looking for, but very cool.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This won't be for transportation - just for fun and riding around in our neighborhood. She loves to ride the jetskis so I figured she'd have a blast on a scooter...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  6. MichaelG

MichaelG New Member

Yeah.. What he said..

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I-ZIP Tricruiser Low Step (Unisex) Hybrid Electric Bicycle | Izip Tricruiser Red Electric Bike | Izip Electric Bicycle
    Maybe an electric bicycle would satisfy the need for neighborhood transport? The electric bikes are gaining in popularity. Wallyworld has a very basic introductory model for about $500 i bleve. Some people say it is good for fitness, because people can try longer rides & use the battery power to get home if they get too tired. The trike model is a bit more, but might be more useful for trips to the curb market & such (could prolly fit a nice shotgun holster ;) ).

I still recommend at least as much safety orange as the average deer hunter is required to wear. :)

8. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

My friend's mom was forced to buy a scooter after she wrecked one on the test drive. I don't know anything about scooters but people always talk about the Vespa. Or you could get the Faggio.

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Have you considered one of these :p , I rode one in Daytona and they are a blast!!
    [​IMG]

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Tango, I have to disagree. Vespa's are a very poor quality unit. I worked at a Vespa dealer(also a Yamaha, Suzuki, Victory, Aprillia, and Polaris dealer) and hated working on them. I worked on them constantly because they constantly had problems. The HANDS DOWN, BEST 50cc scooter out there is a Yamaha Zuma. I personally know a man who rode his over 10,000 miles(original everything outside of wear items) and traded it in on new one. Go Zuma, all the way!

Oh yeah, stay away from Phaggio! They're worst then Vespa!! People's are OK and I stress OK.

11. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

If that is the case get her a quad and tighten down the screw on the gas so it cant go fast. Then as she gets good on it move her up to a bike.