School suspends boy for sketching gun

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by bkt, Aug 22, 2007.

1. bkt

bkt New Member

This is sick. Schools should have in loco parentis (in the place of a parent) responsibilities while kids are at school. But when no actual harm is done and the parents don't disapprove of a reasonable act, the school is waaaaay overstepping its bounds to the point of indoctrinating kids against parents' wishes.

Source: School suspends boy for sketching gun
    Associated Press
    Aug. 22, 2007 06:34 AM

Chandler school officials have suspended a 13-year-old boy for sketching a picture that resembled a gun, saying it posed a threat to classmates.

But parents of the Payne Junior High School student said the drawing was a harmless doodle of a fake laser, and school officials overreacted.

"I just can't believe that there wasn't another way to resolve this," said Paula Mosteller, the boy's mother. "He's so upset. The school made him feel like he committed a crime. They are doing more damage than good."

The Mostellers said the drawing did not show blood, bullets, injuries, or target any human. They said it was just a drawing that resembled a gun.

But Payne Junior High administrators thought the sketch was enough of a threat and gave the boy a five-day suspension, later reduced to three days.

Chandler district spokesman Terry Locke said the sketch was "absolutely considered a threat," and threatening words or pictures are punishable.

The school did not contact police and did not provide counseling or an evaluate the boy to determine if he intended the drawing as a threat.

School officials issued the suspension Monday afternoon. They notified the student's father, Ben Mosteller. He met with school officials and persuaded them to shorten his son's suspension from 5 days to 3.

Ben Mosteller said that when he came to the school to discuss his son's punishment, school officials mentioned the seriousness of the issue and talked about the massacre at Colorado's Columbine High School - the site where two teenagers shot and killed 12 students and injured 24 others in 1999.

The Mostellers said the Columbine reference was extreme and offensive.

They have contacted the district's governing board about the incident involving their son.

2. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

What the hell?!?!? How is drawing a picture of anything a threat? Then they compare it to Columbine, which is as far fetched and asanine as is possible. That kind of crap really makes my blood boil, putting a kid through this for a harmless doodle.

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Compare this to the 12-year-old arab boy who recently beheaded a captive with a knife at the urging of a bunch of adults.

4. BLS33

What are kids supposed to look up to now-a-days?

5. ScottG

ScottG New Member

This is just a commentary on the sad state of affairs in our society today. Post Columbine, post Virginia Tech, post 911, authorities in many places were exposed as either incompetent or complacent.

The worst thing to happen to someone in power is to be taken lightly or as a fool by those they govern. Therefore to make leaders appear to be strong and in charge, many foolish laws and rules were enacted. We see daily the results of such things. Zero tolerance has stopped no great crimes but has enabled petty tyrannies to develop for the good of the children. They say, "we are protecting our children from insert choice here." They can then pat themselves on the back and congratulate themselves for their ingenuity. They've done nothing to secure society or their charges. Illusion of action is their primary goal. As long as another catastrophe doesn't occur, they can claim hollow victories. Strutting and preening in the press as heroes even though all their edifices are made of sand.

These things will continue until we as a society put a stop to them. When events such as these occur we must publicly ridicule those who overreact. Once you start laughing at those who think they know better than you and have a right to rule you, things can change.

6. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
    --Marcus Aurelius

7. Quigs

Quigs New Member

Better get rid of every history book that has pictures of war in them...

8. Taxpayer

Taxpayer New Member

What many people fail to understand is why government schools are doing these types of things. It is clear to me that they are conditining children to have a deep rooted aversion to weapons of any kind so that when they are adults they will be terrified at the thought of owning or even touching a firearm. Guns will be so much easier to ban then.

9. Pounce

Pounce New Member

10. bkt

bkt New Member

Here's the "threatening" sketch:
    [​IMG]

11. BLS33

Are you kidding me?!?!? I got to be honest I laughed at how ridiculous it is that he was suspended for that.

12. lilscot

lilscot New Member

Yea that is so retarded. After a test i drew a few stick figures of one stepping on the other and the principle at my school thought i was disturbed and i just laughed
    :D

13. Taxpayer

Taxpayer New Member

The principal must indeed be a sick puppy if he sees a gun in that.

14. BLS33

I see a road, a few smiley faces, and some stick men climbing on it, but hey they could be advanced blueprints to some sort of gun he will build and start mowing kids down.

15. Pounce

Pounce New Member

It IS...A happy :) looking gun!

16. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

At least the child is learning at a young age to distrust those that the govermant has put in charge!

I think the teacher and the principle need severe counseling if they see a gun in that!

17. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

This business of suspending a kid for drawing a picture of a gun really ticks me off. Back in the 50s, we regularly brought our toy guns to school so we could play war or whatever afterward; the worst trouble you could get into was having it taken up if you took it out in class, and that happened if it was a bag of marbles or a Yo-Yo. In junior high, I used to draw detailed pictures of firefights and tank battles, and when a teacher noticed, she sent me to the office--so the principal could ask me if I wanted to draw some posters for the school. (I was apparently pretty good.)

I don't recall any massacres taking place at school in those days. Gee, do you suppose maybe kids drawing pictures of guns isn't the problem?

The other thing I remember from my school days is that most, like 99%, of us kids behaved pretty well--because if you didn't, they have you three hard whacks on the butt with a big paddle. If you really screwed up, you got five--and if you really, REALLY got WAY out of line, they just sent you home till the following September and you got to start that grade over.

None of that happens any more. I was a teacher (middle school) for 23 years, and the courts and politically-correct administrators have basically abolished punishment for wrongdoing in the schools. Now, I'm not a big fan of paddling--it was often unfairly done, and often overused--but if a kid acts like a jerk, SOMETHING ought to happen to him.

Example:
    I tell the class to get out their math books. A kid says to me, and I quote, "F*** you, motherf***er, I ain't doin' no f***in' math!" I send the kid to the office, where they give him a "real good talking-to," and they send him back. He comes strutting back in and announces to the class with a grin, "They didn't do nothin' to me!" That sort of thing happened to me more times than I'd care to count.

Every now and then you win one, though with no help from the administration. I once had a kid transferred into my class because he'd threatened to beat up his former teacher, a petite woman right out of college. (The transfer was his only punishment.) On his first day, he put one of his friends up to asking, "What would you do if one of your students said he was gonna beat you up?" I looked the new kid right in the eye and said, "I'd tell him to give it his best shot." the first kid said, "They'll fire you," and I said, "They can fire me twice. I don't get paid enough to take that kind of stuff off some punk."

I got called on the carpet for this--and they gave me a "real good talking-to."

The kid never gave me any trouble, though.

Everybody blames the parents. Sorry, no dice. We had kids back then with lousy parents, too--drunks, hookers, you name it--who didn't give a rat's *** how their kids behaved. But they still behaved in school, because they knew they'd be punished there, no matter what happened at home.

100 to 1 that same school that suspended the kid for drawing a gun won't do it for cussing a teacher. We've got it backwards, and THAT'S where Columbine and Virginia Tech came from.

18. Pounce

Pounce New Member

cnorman18...Great post! I remember back in the 50's playing guns out on the play ground (a lot of marbles too) we even had toy hand grenades that you could put a cap in. When you threw it,it would go bang when it hit. Outside of 'killing' a lot of the 'enemy', nobody ever got hurt,nor went on a killing spree. It's a very sad state of affairs with the goings on now. Maybe that little kid might have got a paper cut?