school me on lock up and timing

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jca1, Sep 28, 2010.

1. jca1

jca1 New Member

How do you check timing on a smith and wesson revolver.

Also, how much play in lock up is acceptable?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Check timing

The timing I think is the cylinder and the barrel in line with one another. That's what i was told,to check before buying a used gun.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Lock-up, timing, alignment, barrel/cylinder gap and endshake all need to be checked before buying a used S&W or any used revolver.

Lock-up----Cylinder should not turn or have any excessive play when the bolt engages the cylinder cutouts.

Alignment----Checked with a range rod down the barrel, range rod should slide into the cylinder without touching the mouth of the cyilinder on either side. If it does, then the cylinder is out of alignment and needs work.

Timing----The cylinder should reach full lock-up just prior to full cock on single action and just prior to hammer drop on double action. This test should be performed with a slight amount of resistance applied to the cylinder.

Barrel/Cylinder gap----The distance between the cylinder and barrel. Should be a maximum of .008" and preferably .006" or under.

Cylinder endshake----The forward and aft movement of the cylinder. Should very little or no movement at all.

You should also check full cock engagement. Pull hammer back to full cock then try to push it off full cock with your thumb. If it remains at full cock, you are fine. If it pushes off, pass on the gun, it will probably need both a hammer and trigger replaced.

If you have a problem in any of these areas when checking a used revolver, pass on it or be prepaired to have it repaired

Hope this helps,
    Jim..........

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Jim,
    Is that with an empty cylinder? Or do you load the chambers with cases first?

Thanks.

5. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Here is a link to a video I found on the subject. The beginning is kind of weird, but lots of good info.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMOGVWB-QHw]YouTube - How to check the condition of a used revolver[/ame]

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I saw that video before and it has good info. JIM (masterPsmith) I'm taking you with me next time I buy a gun, just so you know!!! great reply.

8. jca1

jca1 New Member

Excellent info. Thank you.

Now a question:
    Smith 65, put in full lock up. Try to rotate cylinder to left(direction of cylinder rotation) will not budge. Try to rotate to the right(opposite of cylinder rotation) it does move a little tiny bit and then will move back to where it stopped at full lock up. So It's only moving in one direction right?

9. GNLaFrance

GNLaFrance New Member

Yes, that sounds like it's just fine.

10. jca1

jca1 New Member

Thanks GNLaFrance

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Most revolvers will have a very slight amount of play when locked-up, but should not "unlock" (bolt disengage from the cylinder cutout) when at full cock in either direction. If it does, you have problems..

Jim..................

12. jca1

jca1 New Member

please explain further.....I'm kinda stoopid.:D