School me on...LAND

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Mosin, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Anyone with insight on owning large tracts of land?...I'm looking, but can't narrow down.

What should I know, look for. Any advice on states.

Taxes?... mineral rights.... things like that. Anyone knowing or owning a large amount of land, lets talk...

I'm looking at around 100 acres, preferably wooded, or surrounded by woods.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What staye your looking in might also help people help you mosin-im just throwing that into maybe help you mon ami

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'm free to any RED state...

4. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I own a ranch so that I guess would quailfy pm with questions

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In Eastern states you usually buy the whole thing (except in coal and gas areas, mineral rights may already have been sold) Western states, water, mineral, riparian rights are frequently seperate.

You want to look at how land is classified, and what the taxes on the land have been. Agricultural is usually taxed MUCH lower than business/ residential. Look at cost of utilities (assuming you will want to do something with utilities)

See what easements there are- where someone or something has a right to cross the land (driveways, powerlines, pipelines).

What access do you have TO the land? Is there a clear title? What can you use the land for? May look pretty, but if the land will not pass a perc test, you are not building anything that requires a septic tank on it. Any environmental hazards from prior occupancies there?

Step 1. Find a real estate agent you like doing business with. Never sign a contract for more than 90 days- shorter can be better.

Step 2. When you buy it, get title insurance that protects YOU. Most protects a lender. It is cheap.

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Hell out west here I think im one of the few that havent sold off my water rights an mineral rights. Most got on that bandwagon an now cry about no water, well duhh.

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insights so far guys. I've been frequenting landwatch.com, looking for deals...

I guess I should start with my personal goals.

I'd like to build a home, on a large tract of land (which will obviously need septic, electrical and gas), have good hunting, privacy etc....

Some land borders National Forests, what does that mean, as a land owner? Is this a bad thing?

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Gas ??? Propane is the name out west, unless u want a large almost county property the u might get a nat gas tap .

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

What's the water situation out west? Say I wanted to farm a small tract for myself or enough to classify the land as agriculture use....

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

How much u wanna spend to. 40 acres at 1000$ per acre adds up quick with home build price. How big is big to u??? I own a total of well pm for more info if u want

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

C3 brought up some very good points.

i happen to know of a large tract in Texas that would fit all your needs. my father has about 60 acres for sale. even has mineral rights and water rights. i know there is water for a well underneath as he still has a well on his place. access to electric and community water, and telephone but no cable! wooded and some cleared. county road access.

plus it's in Texas! a red state for sure!

12. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Any land can be either dry land or irragated farm land, it depends if u own the water right when u buy or if they sold it already always make sure before u buy. As far as water out here its in serious short supply. Drought sucks

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Bad part about that would be having to smell your nasty breath every time the wind is from the wrong direction......not to mention on chilli days he would find out what a stay indoors wind advisory is;)

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya it really does. I'm not even in the desert.....yet

15. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

Land prices aren't too bad in Alabama taxes are favorable here because its farm country....but that kind of area....that aint gonna be cheap anywhere

16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I know NY is not in your sights but were planning on making it a red state soon! Keep your eyes on NY, things will be changing...

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Haaaaaa yea right keep wishing were gonna send our libs to ny keep the air out here smellin like gun powder

18. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Dont count us out yet. Repercussions from this new form of stupidity come every 2 years. Yes, by that time the law will be fully enforced but New Yorkers will be counting the days down so the insult will still be fresh when we vote!

Anyone who believes NY is Like the Albanizers from Brooklyn and The Bronx hasnt been upstate. Its not what you have imagined, we love our Country and our Rights and Freedoms and we love our guns and vote Republican most of the time but dont have the numbers to override NYC. Now that NYC Shooters are being outed, they might step up and cast the votes that change NY from Blue to Red!

I wont be chased out of my own state, Stand your ground means more than protect your home from a Non Political Criminal!

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

You got my support give em hell yonkers

20. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

When you say Red State, most states are red. Take Ohio for example, Obama did win Ohio, but he he only won 6 of the 88 counties. Ohio's House has 59 Republicans and 40 Democrats and the senate has 23 Republicans and 10 Democrats. And there is some nice rural land available.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013