Sccy

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by OldGunJunkie, Oct 9, 2014.

1. OldGunJunkie

OldGunJunkie New Member

SCCY: Good bang for the buck?

I've been looking at these for quite some time as a new carry pistol. I love my 92FS Compact Inox to death but it can be cumbersome to carry at times because of it's large size.

These pistols are relatively new to the market but from the people I have talked to about them they seem to love them. For the price you sure as heck can't beat them. Most expensive model is $250 or some. A local gun store has a special on one of the models for $218. The size is pretty nice for what little time I held it in my hand. Of course, that's subject to change if I actually fire and carry before buying or after buying.

Does anyone have one? If so, what are you thoughts on this firearm?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can use Google to search for reviews. I am sure one or two people own a SCCY pistol. But you may not get a large enough response to make a good decision.

Lots of mouse guns malfunction because you the shooter has a poor grip. I have a Kel Tec that is very grip sensitive. I have seen other plastic mouse guns that one had to grip the gun properly or the gun would malfunction.

I would try to shoot one. Ask your friend to borrow their gun. Over the years I have learned to like pistols by shooting them, not because it is a good bargain. You can get a Ruger LC9 with a laser for $300. The price being a bargain is relative.

Another issue is resale value. I know you don't buy guns to sell them but resale value is nice. You will never get a good price for an SCCY pistol. Many people have never heard of SCCY.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I would also check and see how much extra mags are and if their are any holsters that fit.
    I bought a Bersa 380 a while back and loved it so much I bought a Bersa 9mn a couple weeks later. Only gripe I have is that xtra mags are over 50 bucks and I had to try out several holsters before I finally found one that worked.

4. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

The SCCY is hardly a mouse gun. 9mm double-stack 10-round magazine.

I've owned mine for almost 1 1/2 years and I like it a lot.

It is my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is a vague category of small handguns that are both loved and hated throughout the world of shooting. They are called “mouse guns.” Rumor has it that the term “mouse gun” was coined by Massad Ayoob. It does not refer to firearms that are specialized for hunting small rodents or shooting computer accessories. Regardless of the origin of the term, it refers to small, weak caliber handguns that were designed with concealment as a priority, rather than “knockdown power.”

A 9mm pistol generates about the same amount of energy as a 22 wmr rifle. One can easily put a SCCY pistol in their pocket. It meets all definitions of a mouse gun.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say pocket gun, not mouse gun.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My daughter had one. She said it would not function. Constant jams. She returned it to the dealer and exchanged it for another of the same gun. She said that one did the same thing. She returned it again and got something completely different. She is happy with what she ended up with. Not sure what she finally got. I believe she was limp wristing. I read reviews on line. They seemed mostly positive. So I assumed it was shooter error. She did not tell me until it was all said and done. Her idiot boy friend took her.

8. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

I "could" put the SCCY in my pocket. It would not be very useful as a carry piece if I did.

Did you know that the FBI is switching back to 9mm?

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't know why you would say that. I pocket carry in a pocket holster just about every day. I can draw from my pocket just as fast as most people can draw from a regular belt holster. And the nice thing is if you are a little nervous about a situation you can have your hand in your pocket with your gun ready to draw and no one is the wiser. If you stand with you hand on your gun ready to draw from a belt holster everyone will know you are armed.

10. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

My CPX2 has nearly 700 rounds thru it and has been reliable. It is my carry gun.

The CPX has a long, somewhat heavy trigger but it is smooth and has a crisp break. The long reset requires a little getting used to, which doesn't take long to learn. Think DA revolver trigger and you've got it made. The gun comes with two 10 round magazines.

It weighs 15 oz. empty, so the recoil is a bit snappy yet quite manageable. The 3-dot sights are easy to see making getting a quick sight-picture easy.

It is about the same size as a Glock 26. Fitting in a pocket is up to the owner. However as an IWB carry pistol, it is a perfect size.

Note: most of the bad reviews on the SCCY are older models not the new generation models.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  11. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

10 not 19

12. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Thanks, I corrected that. It is 10 rounds. My typing is about as accurate as my shooting, there's always a flyer in there.

But you gotta admit, 19 rounds would be cool!

13. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

15's are not bad. 20's are so so. 30's are sucky.

I can sell them all.

14. Ironhorse944

Ironhorse944 New Member

I have one of the early CPX1's the issues with mine was the design of the safety switch/lever kicks up an on during firing the gun during recoil, you must hold very firmly so there's almost no movement in the hand, fat hands may be a problem. Safety actually broke because its plastic, company replaced for free and included a delete as well. Shot grouping is average, don't recall any other issues.

15. OldGunJunkie

OldGunJunkie New Member

From their website it seems there's plenty of holsters out there and more magazines aren't more than around $30.

I've watched a few reviews on YouTube and something that seems to be common was the recoil can be a bit snappy for a 9. The only only thing I found was it was ammo sensitive. Now, I typically only buy ammo that I know works well after seeing what works just because it works. So as long as I carry the ammo I know works that shouldn't be an issue.
    I would have to get used to the DA only trigger though. I've only shot DA to SA and striker fired guns so it'd take some getting used to.

Basically a summary of most of the things I found on the Web about it. It sounds like it's perfect for what I need, a good inexpensive IWB pistol.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Midway has one holster made just for a SCCY pistol. There are zillions of generic holsters that almost fit any gun. None of the generic holsters are comparable to a holster that is made just for your gun.

If you want a SCCY go and get it. It is your money. People are just trying to be helpful. There are a lot of guns that are proven to be reliable, have plenty of accessories and are in the same price range.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  17. OldGunJunkie

OldGunJunkie New Member

I like that advice haha. I think I might end up getting one. I'm gonna think on it more before purchasing. I don't want it to be an impulse buy just because I want an affordable carry gun that's more convenient. It's below a few other things at the moment but I appreciate all the helpful input.

18. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1413478506.732010.jpg

My FoxX IWB Old Glory crossdraw.

19. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Nearly all the info and reviews, good and bad, you would for the SCCY pistol.

http://www.sccyforum.com/

It is a very hold sensitive gun, IMO. The only problem I had with mine was a cracked trigger bar. Would not allow the trigger to reset. Sent it back and had back in my hands in less than 5 working days. Sent on Monday back on Thursday.

Lifetime warranty on the gun. Pay S&H and they will fix nearly anything that breaks. Very good customer service on the phone. They will connect you to an armorer if they cannot help you.

I will not say they are the best quality gun but they work well once you learn how to grip so the slide will function properly. You get two mags with each gun. If they can be found they usually are about $20-30.

There is plenty of holster's out there for them. The link I posted above has a whole thread dedicated to holsters.

20. GoesBang

GoesBang New Member

SCCY has been covering S/H on many repairs. I screwed up the receiver on mine and they replaced it. Cost to me was $0.