Firearms Talk banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
Even Hickok45 had malfunctions related to the gun not going into battery. Push on the rear of the slide. Slide goes fully forward. My reloads did pass the plunk test. Despite this, gun would not fully feed. If the gun is as finicky as it looks ammo may be the problem. I'll also see with the updated extractor. The jury is still out with me.
I had considered picking one up based on price. I handled one yesterday and it felt good in the hand, but the reviews of this brand are horrible.

It is not comforting to buy a new gun and then immediately have to return it to the factory because it does not work. There are too many firearms that have proven records of reliability to buy a brand that wears the label "Lemon." If you watch the Hickock45 video, you will see the number of failures he documented on the piece. The piece is not a target pistol and it is not a reliable weapon for self defense, so what is it's purpose? It is not just Hickock either, it does not take much research to find out about the brand.

A good gun at a higher price beats a bad gun at any price.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I love it. A custom four cavity brass mold. Hope it works out OK for you. My current project is a 308 and 300 Win Mag. Be patient. I've got very good loads for 45-90 and 45-110. Have shot and done well with 308 in local matches. Did very well with a rattly old Savage 110 and 2400 powder,

Loading for a rifle could get the better of Buddha. One thing that has helped me is
Google my questions at Castbollits. Take care and be safe. My apologizes for doubting you, If I can help get with me. Take care of the big lizard.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm gonna see. I have read both good and bad. When bad happens on any gun there is something to look for. One factor may be reports on the first generation of gun. Kimber has a big ticket gun in that size.. That gun comes with instructions for reliable cartridges.

These SCCY gun appears to be a good sellers. How many people carry these guns who have never fired a shot? I'd bet a sizable percent.

The lady who fielded my call said turn around was about one week. I'm not about to spend $100.00 for a box of 9mm. Trial run will be with lead bullets.There are no jacketed 9mm bullets in these parts.I still hold that the weak main spring is the main problem..Accuracy will be tested at 3, 5 and 10 yards.if the gun is a total dud you'll know. I'll share that also. Further comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
One thing I was told years ago is to fire several hundred jacked rounds through a gun before switching to cast bullets. Don’t know how true that is cause my 1911 and my 45/70 have never seen a jacketed bullet and they do fine. The MP mold looks to be very high quality but it’s going to be a learning curve cause I never had a brass mold. I’m gonna have to make a rest under the valve cause the mold is pretty heavy. It came with 3 different hollow point pins and a blank for a solid bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
One thing I was told years ago is to fire several hundred jacked rounds through a gun before switching to cast bullets. Don’t know how true that is cause my 1911 and my 45/70 have never seen a jacketed bullet and they do fine. The MP mold looks to be very high quality but it’s going to be a learning curve cause I never had a brass mold. I’m gonna have to make a rest under the valve cause the mold is pretty heavy. It came with 3 different hollow point pins and a blank for a solid bullet.

I have a similar MP mold but in 44 caliber. Same deal with the pins held in by tiny clips. These molds have a very good reputation.

Another brass mold I have is a replica of the Lyman 358156 also know as the Thompson bullet. named after its designer. This bullet is a traditional favorite in 357.My two cavity hollow point NOE mold. That mold is a copy of the Thompson bullet. I am thankful to have the NOE. I bought forty or molds from an estate. In there was an original of this HP bullet.

Right now I'm using Lyman molds for my 30 caliber rifles. When you go into a gun store always ask if they have any hidden away bullet casting gear for sale. You may hit the jackpot.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I started wearing "bibs" with no way to wear a belt. I had decided on an SccY. There was no way I would pay the going price for 9mm ammo.
As far as the reliability with reloads......don't use reloads in your carry gun. That's just asking for problems not only with the gun but legal issues should you ever have to shoot anyone.
The first thing the lawyer will do is say "he loads his own ammo so it has more kill power". You won't be able to deny it or explain it.
I keep a magazine of defense ammo in my carry gun. When I practice it comes out and I use reloads or a less expensive ammo.
If you feel the gun is not reliable, don't carry it.
I suspect a new spring will take care of the failure to go into battery. Maybe SCCY has a spring for it that they will replace, if not there are aftermarkets ones available.
I also wear bibs most of the time. My pocket carry is a S&W Bodyguard or a J-frame.
But I have carried with a shoulder holster, an ankle holster and with the Bodyguard a Fobus paddle holster clipped in the side of my bibs.
(Yes it is secure...secure enough for any speed a 69 year old man can get up to)
I don't run or jump......that's for kids.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
One thing I was told years ago is to fire several hundred jacked rounds through a gun before switching to cast bull
I don't know about breaking in a gun for lead bullets with jacketed. One standard suggestion is get the copper out of the barrel for best accuracy. I shoot a Smith a Model 19-5 regularly in our tribal matches. The gun gives excellent accuracy as is.I could not find a K-38. I got that 19 and never looked back, That gun has never had a jacketed bullet while in my possession.

The SCCY leaves lead fouling on top of the lands. I don't understand that.. I have a serious preference for big *** revolvers. Therefore, I have an interest in small handguns for concealment in my Bibs. We'll see on this used SCCY.

Added:Open Carry: I have a rig for the the cowboy matches. A Vaquero on each hip with cartridges in the belt. Some more open carry. Screw those tiny mouse guns.

Reactions: Seedy Character

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
As far as the reliability with reloads......don't use reloads in your carry gun. That's just asking for problems not only with the gun but legal issues should you ever have to shoot anyone.
The first thing the lawyer will do is say "he loads his own ammo so it has more kill power". You won't be able to deny it or explain it.
I keep a magazine of defense ammo in my carry gun. When I practice it comes out and I use reloads or a less expensive ammo.
If you feel the gun is not reliable, don't carry it.
I suspect a new spring will take care of the failure to go into battery. Maybe SCCY has a spring for it that they will replace, if not there are aftermarkets ones available.
I also wear bibs most of the time. My pocket carry is a S&W Bodyguard or a J-frame.
But I have carried with a shoulder holster, an ankle holster and with the Bodyguard a Fobus paddle holster clipped in the side of my bibs.
(Yes it is secure...secure enough for any speed a 69 year old man can get up to)
I don't run or jump......that's for kids.
We are about the same age and the run and jump left my legs years ago. I wouldn't run if a bear was after me. I don't wear bibs any more, got priced slam out of the market, and even expensive ones don't last long before the straps or buckles break. Four o'clock IWB carry works best for me, and that allows the carrying of a full-size firearm, although I recently transitioned from a full-size 1911 to a compact one in deference to my age.

I have been collecting sub-compacts lately, I am going to devise a method to carry the Baby Browning inside my ball cap that I usually wear. I had thought that the Browning would fit in a king-size cigarette pack, to carry in a shirt pocket, but it is a tad too big for that. Maybe it will work as a belt buckle? ;)

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
We are about the same age and the run and jump left my legs years ago. I wouldn't run if a bear was after me. I don't wear bibs any more, got priced slam out of the market, and even expensive ones don't last long before the straps or buckles break. Four o'clock IWB carry works best for me, and that allows the carrying of a full-size firearm, although I recently transitioned from a full-size 1911 to a compact one in deference to my age.

I have been collecting sub-compacts lately, I am going to devise a method to carry the Baby Browning inside my ball cap that I usually wear. I had thought that the Browning would fit in a king-size cigarette pack, to carry in a shirt pocket, but it is a tad too big for that. Maybe it will work as a belt buckle? ;)

View attachment 240320
The SCCY went to FedEx for a trip back to the home planet. Gun and three magazines included.

I have heard all sorts of comments of how ineffective 25ACP was. The person I saw shot with a 25 was down for the count. .His earthly concerns were how fast the ambulance could get there.

Reactions: Seedy Character

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
The SCCY came today. The gun was loosely boxed up with handgun and two extra magazines bouncing around in the box Thr paperwork showed showed mag bases; trigger, OM slide lock, and extractor being replaced.

The gun had been test fired. An old style flat "mag base" was also enclosed. The new base was larger with bigger hook for the little finger. The gun was shipped nine days ago and was arrived here today, 3/30/21. A trigger lock with two keys was also enclosed. There were no other changes or replacement parts that I can tell. Next, is to shoot the gun.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The SCCY came today. The gun was loosely boxed up with handgun and two extra magazines bouncing around in the box
I had thought of getting a SCCY. The prices are good and I have heard quite a bit of good things about them on various gun shows.
But the way it was returned to you? That's sloppy and gives me an insight to how the service dept. thinks.
How much longer would it have taken to wrap the gun in bubble wrap or even Kraft paper?
If the service dept. doesn't respect the gun enough to package it neatly and with a little pride that tells me the company has lax standards.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had thought of getting a SCCY. The prices are good and I have heard quite a bit of good things about them on various gun shows.
But the way it was returned to you? That's sloppy and gives me an insight to how the service dept. thinks.
How much longer would it have taken to wrap the gun in bubble wrap or even Kraft paper?
If the service dept. doesn't respect the gun enough to package it neatly and with a little pride that tells me the company has lax standards.
Of course it has lax standards, its a company that makes "cheap" guns;) It's not a Glock

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We are dealing with a handgun that has been on the market for some years starting in 2003. The trigger and extractor were replaced on my gun. Meaning that the gun has been upgraded. Building a reliable small gun to shoot all the 9mm in the market place must be tough to do. I would call the gun less expensive. The finish of the metal parts is decent. The ergonomics of the gun is good. We'll see how well it runs. I may be able to scrounge up some 9mm jacketed rounds. Otherwise, it's going to be lead. I have no idea of the age of my used SCCY. The gun is in excellent condition..

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
No, I meant cheap, as in cheaply made, sold at a cheap price, with a short life expectancy.
Yep, should have finished that thought.

"More realistically priced than Glock.", is what I should have posted.

Everyone makes a model that is pretty much a Glock these days, at a couple hundred less than Glock's price point.

And that's not even counting the 44, and all the things wrong with it, as it comes from the factory.

And before you defend them, I do own a couple, a 19, 26, 43, 2 81s and 2 78s.

But price that 44, at the same size as the 19, limited to 10 rounds, and not sold with a threaded barrel here in the US. For HOW much?

Especially when you can get a .22 LR conversion kit, WITH a threaded barrel, for a 19 or 17, for HALF that, if not even less.

I was interested when it came out, until the non-threaded barrel thing came up, as the only reason I could see getting it, is as a host.

So sure, SCCY's cheap, but it's not being marketed as anything more than it is, with a military and LE market, just to raise the price on a cheap, plastic, striker fired 9mm. Maybe because they realize that not everyone has $600 when they need that handgun, with them, not on layaway, to stroke the company ego, with a $200 markup, and a Perfection slogan (Don't get me started on that gem. What's the average owner have into one, in "Upgraded" parts?)

Don't get me wrong, Glock makes a decent pistol, and short of Hi Point, has one of the best warranties in the industry. Get used to the feel of trigger, they are accurate handguns, and their knives and tools, hell, I collect them for a reason. Gaston makes one hell of a good knife, that in over 30 years, I haven't found a way to break. And I've hammered 4 of them into a tree to make steps to a stand before. My first one has no coating left on the blade, and my 19 shows years of carry wear, that I didn't even put on it. Used gen 2, that I've had for 5 years now. Same with the wife's 26, and the 43 was part of a trade, with a friend's wife, looking for a 1911 for her husband. Wife loves it.

But the differences between the 26 and the SCCYs we own, dad and step mom own, Ain't that much.

Fires the same way, cycls the same ammo, same capacity, similar trigger pull and feel, same metal and polymer compound. So, other than the name, and LE and military marketing on some models, and a manual safety on one of the SCCYs, most can't justify paying more, for the same basic pistol.

Same with the Sigma.

I have no problem with Glock as a product. Like God, it's the fan club I just don't get.

Now, at the same time, when I look for a weapon, or someone asks about one, and them starts talking going as cheap as they can, I always hear this:

"Yes, I need something to defend myself, and my family, a small, handheld device, that needs to propel a projectile, and contain potentially thousands of small explosions, inches from my face, held in my hands, so what's the ceapest option I can get, because I need it ASAFP?"

And if it's an LE trade in or surplus, add the words "Made by the lowest bidder." somewhere in that question.

So keep that in mind, when we talk cheap, because at some point, Glock got their contract, simply because they were able t make a handgun that met Milspec and LE standards, for less than S&W, Ruger, or Colt could.

Not a bash, just saying they ain't all that, and a bag of chips.

When it comes to SD and HD, you get what you can afford, at the time, until you can get what you want, and that is why Rossi, Taurus, and SCCY exist, for that person who wants something better for carry than a Hi Point, but can't quite come up with $599 for that Glock, just yet, and doesn't want to go used, and mail it to Smryna GA, for an overhaul, before they can trust that used one, in their price range. Had no problem doing that with mine, but I already had a couple 1911s, a 92 FS, and a few .38 and .357 revolvers I could carry, until it had been gone over.

And for those who can't afford those, Hi Point and Jimenez exist for a reason. Because there are some who have to save up that $200, for a handgun and ammunition, that have just as much right to SD, as the guy that can drop $3,000 on a carry piece.

IOW, the "Cheap" pistol you have with you will save your *** far better, than that $600 one you are still svaing up for.

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I think that the SCCY and similar on the market has been an inspiration for other makers to come up with low end guns. Is this true of Ruger and Smith&Wesson? I'm looking forward to shooting my SCCY shortly.

My take on it is there may have been reports of malfunctions from non-updated firearms. Part of the dance with these handguns is to stay on top of modifications. Yes, I expect to hear screams of outrage. To which I point out there has been a recall on my-G20.3. There was an update on G23.4

41 - 60 of 82 Posts