Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Maybe you got good old American flu. Make illness great again!

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
View attachment 240231 View attachment 240231 This is my wife’s P95 which she will give me if I buy her a SP 101 . Not a good deal for me but I’m going to do it anyway.
Nice. Later production than mine, and it's the safety model. I have an 04 decocker model, no rail, with the M9 style trigger gaurd. Blued slide.

On lead in 9mm, when hand loading, you can always cast them, with a copper gas check. Helps solve some of the issues created with lead at higher velocities.

Same thing I do with my hard cast 147 grain loads, for the .357s.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks like there's many variations of these P series 9mm's. It was an excellent gun that was very accurate. It was tough as iron.My P89 was boringly ordinary,

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe you got good old American flu. Make illness great again!
Feel much better now. I don't know what it was about. We have waves of a twenty-four virus'a that would knock down your avatar.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Nice. Later production than mine, and it's the safety model. I have an 04 decocker model, no rail, with the M9 style trigger gaurd. Blued slide.

On lead in 9mm, when hand loading, you can always cast them, with a copper gas check. Helps solve some of the issues created with lead at higher velocities.

Same thing I do with my hard cast 147 grain loads, for the .357s.
It was just so cheap to buy 9mm I just did the hand loading to try it out. Frustrating would not even come close to explaining my experience so I sold the dies and bullet mold I had. Now in hindsight I wish I had them because I would try a little harder to find a suitable load . It was never a matter of needing a gas check but more of a problem finding the correct hardness to contact the feed ramp and not leave lead or lube residue. As nice of a gun as I can imagine I sold because it did not fire lead well . Big mistake now I gotta buy wifey a gun that costs twice as much to get a P95 again that I bought for her in the first place. I’m a loser🙁

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Frustrating would not even come close to explaining my experience so I sold the dies and bullet mold
I got two suggestions. First up, if you to try again study on Lee molds. I got several that work very well, Next, it might be worthwhile to study on water quenching. Also, check out Rotometals Super Hard, There are many ways to skin that cat..Your bullets were too soft. When I water quench the bullets are some softer than Linotype. That hardness is by a relatively crude way of measuring. So far, those techniques have worked very well for me. .Bullets being the right diameter is a given.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I’ll probably never try to cast 9mm again. Save the casting for the expensive rounds and the ones you can’t buy. I do have mostly Lee molds and I tried water quenching with the same alloy I use for full house 357 mag but always one issue or another. I’m generally a persistent sort but when I start feeling like I’m not getting anywhere I throw in the towel.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I wonder what alloy your are using when you quench your bullets. Unalloyed lead, I have been told, will not quench. If you want share some of your problems. Some of the folks in the peanut gallery can chip in with experience.Another problem loading for auto is COL. Too long can ruin your day.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I wonder what alloy your are using when you quench your bullets. Unalloyed lead, I have been told, will not quench. If you want share some of your problems. Some of the folks in the peanut gallery can chip in with experience.Another problem loading for auto is COL. Too long can ruin your day.
I use 3 different alloys the softest is 96% lead 2% tin 2% antimony mid grade is 93% lead 3%tin 4%antimony and hard is 90% lead 3% tin and 7% antimony. I usually only water quench the softer 96 2 and 2. These usually work good with everything I shoot but the 9mm just confounded me. I never tried a gas check mold but I didn’t think checks were necessary at those velocities. Maybe should have tried PC but at that time 9mm ammo was available and cheap so I simply gave up.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I don't mind doing some homework for you. There is a reservation. I need to know where the lead fouling was in the barrel. Which end or all had fouling. The real culprit most often is the bullet diameter. For me, your softest alloy has been used by commercial bullet casters. How about the diameter of your bullets.Focus on these problems. Give me a little more information.aside for the alloy you have given me very little to work with.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Leading wasn’t the real problem, feeding and bad accuracy was the problem . I sized to 357 a little over groove diameter and tumble lubed. Any sized larger would not freely chamber and all cases were trimmed to length. My mistake was not trying my reloads in my wife’s gun to see if it would handle them.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Slug the bore, Try grove diameter hard bullets, Use a taper crimp die. I you don't have an lube sizer use a Lee Push You can get Lee push through's fairly cheap.Try to find a thinner brass. I got four different size dies for my Lyman sizer's. An unsized crimp can do exactly what you describe.. That little SCCY would not fully chamber with .356 despite the "plunk test. All rounds got the"plunk test". The mold was the RCBS 356-115-RN at..356.My limited experience with Lee Tumble Lube has not been good. Finally, trade the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Sure,. glad to help. If you prefer shoot me a private email.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
You are trimming pistol brass? That's usually not needed.....unless you are really really overpowering your charge.
Yea I probably should have check length cause I probably trimmed very few with the exception of 454 and 357.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What bullet are you using. You are casting bullets I assume. What brand or mold number is ;your bullet Make some bullets 356 diameter.make dummy rounds to see if they fit. Also, what kind of gun is your 9mm?

Measure the difference between a factory round and you rounds that will not chamber. Did you check the case mouth on you loaded rounds?

Some of these pr0blems do not line up. Are you ****ing with me?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
MT I would never buffalo 🦬 you. Thing is I sold my P95 and 9mm dies and bullet mold a little while ago as I posted earlier. The picture I posted was of my wife’s gun which she will give me if I buy her a SP101. I was merely relating that I had problems with my cast loads in 9mm and it was never solved by me. I guess it wasn’t a problem worth solving cause 9mm ammo is so cheap and available (a year and a half ago). I’ve lately been casting and loading for 30/30 trying to get the heaviest bullet I can to work And also a new MP hollow point I’m just starting on .

21 - 40 of 82 Posts