Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started wearing "bibs" with no way to wear a belt. I had decided on an SccY. There was no way I would pay the going price for 9mm ammo. The handgun could not be blamed for not running. The loads were some that were left over plus some newly loaded with 115 cast bullets. The reloads were given and passed the plunk test. The most common problem was a failure to going into battery. Extraction was good. As a revolver shooter there was no problem with the long trigger pull. Despite problems the little gun is impressive.

Called the factory talking to a really nice lady. My gun had several undone updates. The gun is to be returned to the factory plus two extra magazines. Turn around time is a week for warranty work on a used gun.

I wondered of if anybody else has had recent experience with Sccy's handguns and service. I'm going to get their recommendation for ammo. Anybody that holds this 9mm piece to be a mouse gun has some pretty big mice. Comments appreciated.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I like the SccY for what it is. The finger grooves are too small for my hands for comfort but other than that I can recommend it. My wife LOVES it and I have two as a result. Great gun just not a good fit for me.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Ssucky, along with Taurus is one of those brands that won't darken my door. They both have a large out of box failure rate.
How good their service department is is worthless when about 1/3 of their production must be returned after the first shooting session.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ammo related?: This is the first experience I have had with SccY. I have seen a number of firearms with greatly divided opinions.There is something at work that causes some guns to work and other not. Kimber has a small 9mm gun that comes with specific ammo recommendations. If Sccy recommended cartridges much trouble may go away. To me, these guns are finicky about ammo. My gun did not have updates on the trigger or extractor. We'll see.I don't know.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It’s one of those that feel great, look good, and are priced right, but there’s too many horror stories to take the chance. Rather buy s&w, ruger, Springfield, glock, sig, fn, and have better chances. I’m not trying to take away from the ones that’ve had good luck with them though.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even Hickok45 had malfunctions related to the gun not going into battery. Push on the rear of the slide. Slide goes fully forward. My reloads did pass the plunk test. Despite this, gun would not fully feed. If the gun is as finicky as it looks ammo may be the problem. I'll also see with the updated extractor. The jury is still out with me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Even Hickok45 had malfunctions related to the gun not going into battery. Push on the rear of the slide. Slide goes fully forward. My reloads did pass the plunk test. Despite this, gun would not fully feed. If the gun is as finicky as it looks ammo may be the problem. I'll also see with the updated extractor. The jury is still out with me.
Try some factory ammo in it.
If you find any pop red smoke for the rest of us .

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: Wolfspirit

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
Dad,.my wife, and I have had no issues with ours past the first couple boxes. Hand loads or factory rounds.

Now, this is a general rule I learned early on, with experience with Ring of Fire pistols. They are ammo sensitive by their very nature. The lower the price, the better the ammo you use,.needs to be.

I won't run bulk .22s in a J 22, for a reason, only CCU Mini Mags. Same deal with our SCCYs. Same with what we load for them. They run well on Hornady, most Remington offerings, but hate bulk White box, and cheap reman loads.

Others I know, theirs will run well, even on cheap steel cased garbage. Find what it likes, stock up, and run that. The average from what others said us Privi Partisan, right at the line, where it runs reliably.

Want one that's cheap to buy and cheap to feed, buy a Hi Point or Ruger P Series, because, like Mikey, they like anything you feed them.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Want one that's cheap to buy and cheap to feed, buy a Hi Point or Ruger P Series, because, like Mikey, they like anything you feed them.
Just a Notion: A common failure is for the slide to not close. Slide get stuck on the way home. Has anybody tried an aftermarket recoil spring? I really do not like the idea of these things. Just asking for experience and opinions.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Registered
827 Posts
Never saw that problem on the SCCYs i know of.
They have great customer service . Instead of being out a aftermarket spring, id try factory ammo in it, make sure i had a firm grip and if it didnt straughten up id just send it in.

Ive seen about 15 sccy come out of the box and after being cleaned and lubed ive never seen a failure with one .

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I got the go back papers from SCCY this afternoon. The gun with three magazines are headed back for TLC. This gun was not new. The gun missed several updates. 😲

The problems of not fully closing appear to be pretty common. The way to separate real handloads from junk is with a gauge or "plunk test." These rounds passed the plunk test. If the gun will not work unless with factory ammo it's a goner.

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
Just a Notion: A common failure is for the slide to not close. Slide get stuck on the way home. Has anybody tried an aftermarket recoil spring? I really do not like the idea of these things. Just asking for experience and opinions.
The real question is, does anyone make a heavier spring set for them?

Most aftermarket springs are designed to lighten trigger pull, and reduce the strength needed to rack the slide.

However, if that many people are reporting that issue, if no one makes on, perhaps they should. The other side of that it, how many are reporting this, a couple mags in, and not running three or more boxes through it, bevore reporting it as junk? How many did a DCIOR, on the weapon, before taking it out, and firing it?

Most slide hanging up issues I have seen were lack of cleaning, lack of proper lubrication, or low round count, in a cheap gun, that was bought NIB. That being said, industry wide, even the vest, high end brands, experience about a 40% failure rate, in their products, so it could be a flaw from the factory.

Might be worth looking into, and if no one does, maybe some SCCY owners need to start suggesting it to companies like Wolf.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most aftermarket springs are designed to lighten trigger pull, and reduce the strength needed to rack the slide.
I did find one outfit offering aftermarket recoil and an trigger springs for the SCCY. This little pistol has an aluminum part that holds the insides. The steel slide rides on aluminum rails. I suspect problems with the recoil spring and extractor may be making mischief. Possibly some magazine problems thrown in. Maybe, we can find out.

I briefly had a 380 Kel-Tec with super strong aftermarket recoil spring. The gun nearly broke my middle finger. I would been a handicapped driver by local standards.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
MT when you load for most 9mm you have to keep them full power. The first time I loaded 9mm at starting loads I thought my p95 Ruger was coming undone. That was not a fussy gun , it just didn’t like lead bullets or low power handloads.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for you comments. As a class 9mm handguns function best at the higher pressures. It had to describe exactly what happens with a SCCY. The problem appears to be in the feeding. It may be the velocity of the slide going home. The paperwork came for return of my SCCY.

Bottom line is you don't like lead bullets do not use them.. It's personal challenge to get any handgun to run with lead bullets. So far, lead bullet have worked with an HK USP C and three Glocks. I regularly shoot lead bullets in my revolvers and 1911 plus a clone,. I have several handguns that have never seen a jacked bullet. Casting allows me to shoot until I run out of primers or lead. The first handgun I cast for was a Ruger P89. Oddly enough I never see a P89 or P95 for sale these days,.

Added: Hope you guys do not get fragged by the fifteen page intelligence report about Russia fiddling with our election.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 1911 never saw a jacketed bullet. My P95 was sold (big mistake ).
My super big mistake was trading off my Ruger P345. That was the only handgun I ever had that would accept a fired case into a case gauge.

As you can probably tell I am determined to are to get that SCCY right. That "right" would be good with jacket bullets. If the gun will not work with lead bullets off it goes to a new owner.

Years ago I did have an unusual post WWI Luger. That gun that would shoot Lyman 356402 cast bullets like a champ. The secret is that Lyman the bullet is very similar to the German truncated cone bullet of WWI. That mold is still in the Lyman line. It goes without saying the loads were heavy.

Back to SCCY. I'll take the gun to Federal Express on Monday. Sick today-it's not procrastination. It's not COVID-19 as I have had my second shot. I hope to get out sometime to shoot a 300 Win Mag with lead bullets this weekend..

1 - 20 of 82 Posts