Scary guy in CCW class

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Grog, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Grog

Grog New Member

My wife and I took our CCW class this past weekend. It was lots of fun and very informative. We are new to guns and have only been shooting 4-5 times total. We shot as well as anyone there and better than many. There was one guy that stated right up front that he had never held a gun before and the class was/is designed to teach at that level...no problems...right?

I gotta tell you. The thought of this guy carrying a gun scares me. One of those nervous types...talks fast, moves jumpy, skittish, like way too much coffee and cigarettes. I understand being nervous but his hands shook like Michael J Fox's.

2 hours of range time. The range is small and indoors but open. No stalls. There is room for 3 shooters at a time with small banquet type tables in front of each shooter. We start, sitting, with .22's using cheap gun stands made of wood. Load 1, shoot, make safe. Repeat. Loud long whistle means STOP and put down the gun. 2 short whistles mean fire. No problems. Scary guy is NOT in my group and everyone NOT shooting is watching from a room behind us with an open door and windows. They are not in the actual range.

After warming up with the .22's (sitting, standing, single shot, multiple shot) The range officers move downfire, into the range, to change our targets. Scary guy comes into the range, walks up to the tables and picks up one of the pistols. One of the officers reprimanded him....never touch one of the weapons with someone downrange.

His turn to shoot. My god...is he shaking a martini? I am actually uneasy with a loaded gun in his hand and my wife 2 spots over. The range officers give him all the guidance they can. At one point the sequence is...load 6, fire 2, hold in low-ready position, fire 2 more, hold in low-ready, fire 2, make safe.
    OK...fire on his command of 2 short whistles....Is the line ready?

BANG! Scary guys gun goes off.

Holy Crap! No whistle.

Range officer barks out a long hard whistle...all guns down. Scary guy is still holding his but at least he knows he did something wrong. His head is hanging down like a dog that crapped on the carpet.

Next is the bigger, qualifying, guns. He is shooting a revolver (borrowed) and the range officer is standing on top of this guy now. He is supposed to shoot single action, double, double etc... Eventually he understands and they help him get on target and even though he never stops shaking he does pass the class.

Now I'm shaking!!!

If I ever saw this guy with a gun in his hand I would leave the range. I understand that he was nervous...I was nervous... but you need to do EXACTLY what the range officers say when they say it.

2. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

grog, 6/14/10

Actually I kind of admire the guy. He obviously is terrified of guns and shooting but made the effort to make it through the course. He is the type of shooter who will need close supervision and much training but it is possible to make him comfortable with firearms. If we can turn one gun-hater at a time into a shooter, even if they start off badly, then it is OK with me.

Best wishes- oldandslow

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Dude you just made me laugh my ass off. I had so many people like this serving and qualifying with me. You would be surprised how many higher officials in the military don't know the dangerous end of the gun let alone know how to use it. Before we even fired every year we had to sit through 4 hours of instruction. Still they couldn't get it.

4. Grog

Grog New Member

I dont mind afraid or nervous...I am a little afraid of them. They make me nervous. It means I am going to be very careful when I, or anyone around me, is handling them. I think it is more than nerves with him. He reminds me of one of those little dogs that just shakes all the time.

Seriously...I would leave the range if he was shooting. Hopefully he signs up for more training. I could see him being on the news because he thought his car was in reverse and he drove right through the front window of a store by mistake. I know it sounds mean. Thats not my intent. He just happens to be THAT guy!

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Nothing wrong with that. It's called wisdom. There is an open public range a few miles north of my home (DNR). It is very often not monitored by anyone. The first time I took my wife up there I told her you have to expect that sometimes you'll just have to turn around and leave if there are any yahoos. I've had to do it on several occasions. There's no way I'm going to stick around when someone who looks like they stepped out of a Monty Python skit has a gun.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

But the guy now has his CCW. What says he's going to get more supervision and training???

7. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I had someone just like that in my class several years ago. I thought I was nervous, then I saw this guy with Situational Parkinsons. :rolleyes: Thank goodness there was no required range time with my class, I probably would have been scared for my life just like you.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The biggest thing here is that the State obviously will issue to and untrained citizen. That is irresponsible. It endangers her/him and the general public.

There should be a prerequisite class for untrained gun owners that affords time for them to get familiar with firearms and comfortable with their use. I think a two week class with plenty of range time is necessary!!

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Agreed. In MA, adding range time to the class is optional and determined by the instructor. As I said, there was zero range time for my class. I feel that I was taught enough about firearms safety, but wish I had some supervised trigger time. I ended up asking the instructor (good friend of my father) to accompany me with my first time to the range.

10. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

I'm appalled that the ROs didn't handle things correctly. We run a line of ten to twelve (twelve is maximum for the class) and have an individual instructor for each person AND an over-all RO to control the full range.

Before anyone gets to handle a gun they are all told that the individual instructors are there to assure every individual follows the rules and that ANY serious transgression will have an arm coming over their shoulder and grabbing the gun. If that happens, they are done shooting, end of discussion. The last part seems to get everyone's attention and we have not needed to do that in at least the last ten years.

We have had a few that you really wonder about, but with an instructor standing right behind each student, it has not been an issue. :)

11. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

And maybe the state should require a competency course for each specific gun you wish to purchase to make sure you are only going to safely use it for the right reasons. We could keep a list of all the safe and qualified gun owners, you know the ones the state approves of.:rolleyes:

My state is a shall issue state, anyone not legally prohibited(felons, mentally incompetant,etc) shall be issued a License to Carry Firearms. No classes required, no range qualification, no written essays or multiple choice questions. Safe gun handling and marksmanship training is the responsibility of the individual. Not provided by the nanny state.

The right is the citizens, so is the responsibility.
    We don't seem to have too many problems.

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

You know, I agree with this 100%. There are those in our society who did not grow up with guns, weren't in the military, are unfamiliar with guns and are therefore dangerous when around or when handling guns.

You've seen them at the gun shop, waving the barrel around the room while customers try to get out of the shadow of the muzzle. Most States require a basic firearms safety course or prior military or law enforcement training before even issuing a hunting license, why not for CCW?

I guess if you want to add to the CCW requirement that the applicant demonstrate their ability to safely handle a firearm as well as pull a trigger, that would work for me too. No nanny State BS, just an common sense injection for those in the population who would seek a CCW without weapons familiarization training.

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Did he look like this......

[​IMG]

Jack

14. Grog

Grog New Member

I do not think they handled it poorly...as a matter of fact there were 2 instructors for 3 students. A pretty good ratio (imho). The only people in the proximity of the weapons were the shooters and officers...except for when he walked up and picked up the .22 while they were changing targets.:eek:

Out of 12 people he was the only one that needed (and received) special attention.

15. Grog

Grog New Member

Just as a side note...

Took the CCW class this past weekend. Applied for permit Monday. Have license on Thursday. It just doesnt get any faster/easier than that.

16. bizy

bizy New Member

Agreed

If a person is that fearful of guns and wants to carry a gun, he must live in a scarey neighborhood. That goes to show people are afraid of the future.. My wife has a CWL but she will not fire the gun. I ask her every few months to practice with me but she never does. If you carry a gun and don't know how to use it, it might be better to leave the gun at home.

17. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I actually had a similar person to the subject of this story in the CCW class I took in North Carolina (before I moved back up here to VA). I say "similar" because the guy was very polite and personable during the classroom portion and he paid very close attention, but once the shooting started I was a little concerned.

We had a wide variety of pistols and revolvers at the class. I shot with a Glock 22, my two buddies with XD's, one guy had a Bersa .380. The person I was concerned about was shooting a single action .22 revolver. Not a bad idea, if for no other reason than becuase you'll save money on ammo. ;) Problem was, this guy really didn't shoot it that well. Single action .22 revolver, and after following the instructors...um...instructions and shooting at 3, 7 and 10 yards, his target looked like it'd been worked over with a shotgun. I mean with a .22 revolver this guy shot like lightning: he never hit the same place twice. If it weren't for gravity he couldn't have hit the GROUND. I can't help but think that with a larger caliber firearm, should he ever have to use it in self defense, the safest person in the world will be the guy who was actually trying to take his wallet.

I'm all for people exercising their Second Amendment rights, but at times you do have to wonder if the guy next to you at the range knows which end of the gun goes "Bang."

Hope everyone has a great day!

Josh

18. Grog

Grog New Member

Lake county Ohio. Suburb of Cleveland. The instructors said we could go to Cuyahoga county (Cleveland) if we did not mind waiting until X-mas for our permits. :rolleyes:

19. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

I've had this kind of thing happen to me at the range a while back. A buddy and me went to blow off a few rounds at an indoor range in town. In the lane next to us is some white trash thug trying to teach his 97 year old grandma to shoot a 357!

She couldn't pull the hammer back to well and shots were hitting the floor, the wall, the ceiling, just anywhere but the target! We couldn't get out of there fast enough, told the range opperator what was happening on the way out and just left.

I don't blame the old woman, her idiot grandson should have known better or at least the range opperators. :confused:

20. ET1

ET1 New Member

Georgia evidently is just like Pa. If you can pay the fee and pass the background check you have a CCW permit. The only qualifiers are that you have to be 21 and have no felonies or drug possessions on your record. Barney Fife would have no problem getting his permit here. I've got to believe that there are permit holders in Ga. that CC but have never fired a handgun. Those guys and girls will get themselves killed with their own guns. Survival of the fittest and smartest I guess.