Scar17's are HOT!!

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by JonM, Nov 21, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6idOZDG-2M[/ame]

2. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

The 17 is chambered in .308 and the 16 .223?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes. the 17 is marked 7.62x51 on the reciever the manual says you can use both 7.62nato and and 308win loads.

ive only had mine for about a week and only 100 rounds or so through it so far but ive been running it in suppressed gas setting using 308win load data and its cycling just fine. accuracy is damn good.

i dont see much use for the scar16 since there are plenty of much lower priced ar15 that run just fine with the 556. but in 308 there arent that many out there and all the REALLY good ones are close enough to scar prices to make price a moot point. the scar17 is one of the few 308 semi that meets military standards for durability reliabilty etc. and isnt a M1a. im not ahuge fan of the M1a ive owned two and while fun to shoot i find them clumsy and not readily or easily setup for optics. the iron sights are too fiddly and not easily or quickly adjusted for elevation for me as well.

4. FullautoUSA

That is one thing about the m1a, for people that want to use it in a "sniper" type set up, they either need to get really good with irons, which is possible but not easy, or they need to use one of those awful mounts. Plus the SCAR is just awesome looking. Have fun with that awesome new toy you got, I'm going t a range where you can rent guns, maybe I'll rent one o those.

5. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

So... that's you, right "Jon":p

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

lol no. i just stumbled over that on youtube

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Lies!!!!! We all know you dress in Drag:p (this would be in green but the app doesn't allow it)

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

not cheap at all

but when compaired to a larue or other high end 308 semi its in the same price ranges and its the only milspec 308 semi i know of. i fence sat on 308 semis for years. but the recent elections and the wife taking my savage model 10 decided it for me

but if i looked like her in drag i would not hesitate to admit it lol

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. FullautoUSA

Just got back home from the Firing Line in NH, and you're right, SCAR's are awesome. I used the SCAR 16 but it was still the coolest gun I have ever fired. Fired 100 rounds and only malfunctioned 3 times, all failures to chamber, we were using cheaper ammo, Remington, so that may have contributed. I have to say FNH has, like always, done fantastic.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not a huge fan of the scar16 i think its more of a solution looking for a problem. but the 17 is a whole other animal. the factor that makes it different is there really isnt much filling that gap between 556 and 50bmg in terms of semi auto battle rifles. i know lots of folks love the m1a but its not that great a rifle in my opinion. fun to shoot but not terribly well balanced very heavy and other issues with sighting and recoil

11. FullautoUSA

The M1A makes a hell of a good deer rifle, target rifle or long range "sniper" type rifle, but as a combat rifle it pales in comparison to the AR, AK, SCAR, FAL, MSAR or FS2000. I still loved the SCAR 16.

12. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Big fan of the SCAR 17 so I bought one! yes, plunked the whole 3K down for one. The recoil is just a hair more than my Spikes AR 15. It is still a massive weapon but also why I like it.

FDE is the best IMO. I put a 1-4x scope with 308 bullet drop. I need to take a new picture.

[​IMG]

13. FullautoUSA

Could you put for example a Magpul MOE pistol grip on a SCAR.

14. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I'll bet you could. I have magpul pistol grip on my other rife. This one is every bit as good.

Even though this is a light weapon for .308 I think there are some areas they could have lightened the load.

There is WAY-too much plastic on the buttstock. Can tell that just by looking at it. Could cut at least 4 oz there. Look at how little plastic is used on the mil-spec ar 15s.

Also the bolt carrier is crazy big. (excluding barrel) it's probably 1/2 the weight. I would re-machine that and save another 4 oz.

Turning an 8lb rifle into a 7 1/2 lb rifle.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

im using a magpul moe+ on mine unmodified. the bcm gunfighter wont fit without modding the grip or reciever

i dont see a need for the cheek riser at all in the up position. but i do wish it had a storage space in the stock. i like the design of the buttstock as it gives an excellent place to hold the butt with the left hand while using a rest.

the bolt carrier is big but thats the major reason why it has like zero recoil. it absorbs a ton of that recoil force just because of the mass of the carrier. shave weight there and you increase recoil a LOT

right now im running a vortex 4-12x its the wife's scope off her ar15. ive got it on a adm qd mount. i like the adm's better than the larue mounts. they hold zero and return to zero just as the larues do but they dont tear up my rails the way a larue does. if you take a larue qd off and on a lot it WILL change zero as it digs chunks out of your rail section.

im replacing my larue qd acog mount with an ADM one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

True, that's a good point. that's why i'm not designing these weapons and FNH is. =D

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

18. brettc

brettc New Member

Can I ask why you would not want a chromed CHF barrel? Just curious, still learning. Thanks

19. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

That's a nice package. I need to go wander around the desert!