SCAR or ACR?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Broke124, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Looking to get a new assault rifle, but have never owned one. I have shot the SCAR but not the ACR. Anyone have any input on pros and cons of each?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

2. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I'm going to take that you have a price range of like 2500 bucks or so am I right? U probably won't find a scar for less then that but if you have that kind of money look into the H&K 416. If its not out for civilian use yet it should be soon. Look on YouTube for the episode of future weapons that it was in. You can bury it in sand, throw it in the pool and shoot it upside down with no problems. Oh and it's a piston system so u can shoot 1k rds and the bolt will stay cold and clean!

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

they arent assault rifles. please please please dont use media definitions of firearms. they are sport utility rifles.

the acr isnt very adaptable since there isnt a whole lot, almost nonexistent, aftermarket parts. the sample i got to try felt clumsy off balance and not very ergonomic. i would lump it into the same category as a galil. if you want the look of a futuristic gun but the adaptabilty of a AR15 then just build an AR15 and put on a bunch of magpul stuff since thats basically what a acr is.

im not a huge fan of piston ARs but thats more personal taste. i just dont see the need to add weight to do the same job as the gas tube does with less weight cost

i have the same opinion of the scar

just my opinion.

4. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

You guys have to excuse me. My AR experience is very limited. Forgive my ignorance. That's what I'm lookin for though, people that have experience and know the details on them. Keep it coming...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I agree with staying with a gas tube system, you wouldnt think that a piston system would add that much more weight, but believe me IT DOES. To me its enough to make it uncomfortable to lug around for very long. I like the looks of the ACR but from ive heard on another thread,most of them have been having slamfire problems. My advice is that if you like tinkering on guns then build your own how you want it, or just buy a complete rifle of a reputable maker..here is a pic of my Stag/ Magpul M4

ForumRunner_20111124_153213.jpg

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Of the two Id go w/ the Scar

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Hey John... Since when is a scar not an assault rifle? Pretty sure it stands for Special operation forces Combat Assault Rifle? And to me if any military uses a semi auto rifle it's and assault rifle... But that's just my 2 cents.

8. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I would love to build my own but I have no clue as to the quality and durability of the company's parts I would have to use.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Did the manufacturer assault someone with it to get that label??

Maybe thats why they cost so much. Paying all those assault charges from the workers being arrested. Heh.

Assault rifle is a political term used to demonize firearms in order to help the antigun agenda further down the road.

10. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Guys please don't turn this into a bickering match...just need info on good parts

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

my preference for decent ar parts is rock river atm. i know daniel defense pof stag colt and a few others are also decent.

12. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I second rock river. All their parts can be shipped to your house except for the lower recover since it has the serial number on it. That you need the ffl for. I didn't build mine but this one is all rock river.

Attached Files:

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Of the two, I would go with the Scar. However, you might wanna wait a bit. Beretta has a new rifle that's not available in America yet, but should be soon, and from what I've seen should be an outstanding rifle. I believe it's called the RX160 or something along those lines.

The SCAR that civvies can buy is not an assault rifle.

They're not. The real SCAR is select fire.

Take this for example, there are all sorts of cars that people race with professionally, for my example I'm going to use a Corvette. Tons of professional racers race with Corvettes. Now say I go buy a 'Vette, is my car considered a race car? No, it's not.

The same applies to rifles. The military uses assault rifles, civvies have what we like to call Sport Utility Rifles.

-Fred

14. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ok I see what u guys mean now that u explain it..

15. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Okay so explain to me why you would get one lower from one manufacturer, one upper from another...seems like you would just buy a complete rifle straight up.

16. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

And also how does a guy know which parts are compatable with others?. For instance could one put any Daniel Defense upper on a RRA lower and everything be fine?.

17. Wilder

Wilder New Member

As far as getting parts from different makers and piecing an AR together, some people enjoy doing research for each part, and love to tinker with their guns. Don't let that overwhelm you if that isn't something you do. The shop I work at sells a lot of rock river and lewis machine and tool ARs. Go with a reputable maker and spend a little extra and get a quality model.
    I personally own a LMT 16" piston with a monolithic rail platform, I went with the piston because I run it with a suppressor, which creates extra gas blowback in the barrel. Making the added carbon and heat from a gas impingement system worse. I opted to add the weight to reduce a potential problem caused by other attachments. The gas impingement system is proven, pistons have their advantages, but there is a tradeoff for everything.
    If this is your first ' battle rifle' get a quality basic package, you can play with extras as you have the money to do so, but you'll be well set spending a little extra on a good rifle right off the bat. If you like the look of a particular rifle, go for it.

18. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I'm thinking that I may just buy a Daniel defense complete setup. Are they pretty descent?

19. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

I was actually in the market for a SCAR or an ACR come next year, but after reading this ill just stick to my M4.

And a +1 to getting a DD setup, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. Had it for over a year and a half now with zero problems.

20. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Broke, I'd lose the SCAR and definitely the ACR and term "assault rifle" unless you're buying a select fire.

Yes, DD is decent, in fact one of the best. I'm very happy with mine and many others here are as well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011