Scam or not a scam. Any thoughts

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 24, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Around 6:25 p.m. was relaxing on the loveseat and a knock on the door, no door bell ring. The individual, young possible mid-twenties or early twenties. He was wearing polo shirt with Honeywell and had a badge with Honeywell and his picture.

He was selling alarm system change, told him in the sleepy tone no thanks. He was representing Honeywell.

After waking up, decided to check on this via internet.

I know Honeywell does not do door-to-door sales. If it was a company that sold Honeywell security systems, they would be in their company attire and their company badge, not Honeywell badge.

Found this from Armed Response Team from last year.

http://www.armedresponseteam.com/security-system-scam-hitting-albuquerque-neighborhoods/

I called Albuquerque Police and notified them of the contact and slight description. They called back to confirm my address.

I called them and gave them a better description and vehicle plate number. The plate was not commercial, civilian.

The police arrived, ran plate, nothing was coming up at the time. I mean nothing! Police waited, wanted to check registration.

They were in my neighbors down the street house.

My view is never let anyone in your house you do not know.

Any thoughts from the forum on this situation?

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Good instincts, let us know what happens. Maybe your instincts could have kicked in a bit earlier, but as long as the police were on to him is all that matters. Maybe if it happens again pull out a camera and take his pic. Then ask for his badge so you can go inside and call the police.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Yea, I do not let strangers in my home either.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good instincts.

my dogs don't allow strangers in the house!

my guns are to put the survivors out of their misery!

6. Bigcountry02

Thanks all! Will post once I hear something back. The Albuquerque Police (only 1 unit) showed up less than 30 minutes (estimated).

I came back after 2 hours, they were gone.

7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Good call. i would have done the same.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You did good.There are many variant of the alarm scam going on all over the country. They sell you piece of mind long enough for them to take everything else.

9. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I've heard the same thing. They will pose as alarm sales people, to be able to go in and case the joint. I'd have told him, "Sorry, I can't afford your alarm system, I just bought windows and siding off the guy on the phone 5 minutes ago."

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Slightly off-topic, but my wife was accosted in Sears by one of those cutesy college girls pushing resurfacing of kitchen cabinets. As the girl babbled and walked backwards to match our walking speed, my wife looked her straight in the eye and dead-panned, "I'm sorry, we don't have cabinets."

The girl tripped slightly, stopped, and stared at us as we continued on.

That response was obviously not in their binder of customer responses.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I wonder how many other houses he cased?

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a rash of this in Florida ten or so years ago. They were just finding out which houses have alarms to avoid them.

13. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I had a call once to sell us an alarm. I told them I was very happy with my security system. When he asked me what company I told him SIG Sauer. I had to explain to him what meant. I suppose I should have said Smith and Wesson, he would have better gotten my point since its a more well known brand but at least I was honest.

14. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

this same thing just happened at my brothers house,the guy asked what kind of alarm system he had and if he wanted to install there system

15. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

You did the right thing. This situation has SCAM written all over it. I poster a "NO SOLICITORS" sign and do NOT let in anyone I do not know.

I had an alarm systems guy come to my door once and asked if I had a system and what type it was. I told him I had more than one system, Colt, Ruger, Beretta, etc. He kind of smiled but I could tell he got kind of nervous. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

If I don't know you, you don't come in. It's that simple. I will also call all maintenance companies upon arrival to ensure the person is who they say they are. It's a little over cautious, but better safe than sorry.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You want to get them gone in a hurry tell them you are not the home owner and only rent. It will usually make them go away fast. It's not near as fun has meeting them with heavy mouth breathing and saying you really like it when people come in the house because you like to be able to shoot them and it saves a bundle on your meat bill:eek:

18. Bigcountry02

Not sure; however, from what I observed later when I got the detail information to APD, they were going to alarmed houses. The main guy had an ipad and was doing something with it. What I remember about that vehicle, it has been down our area earlier in the week.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Es tut mir leid. Ich spreche kein Englisch. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Works for most annoying people- face to face or on the phone.

20. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

My neighborhood does not allow solicitors, but we do get some church groups that go house to house. The town has informed the residents by mail/net that they are not solicitors but become solicitors when they request a donation and should be reported immediately.