SCAM issue

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 5, 2010.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was watching local TV news Albuquerque News, Albuquerque, New Mexico News, Weather, & Sports - KOAT Albuquerque's Channel 7 here in Albuquerque, regarding a scam that had taken place and it is going all over the country from what the FBI and the Attorney General said in NM.

Snopes even had the information - very scary.

The site is People Search | White Pages | Phone Book | FREE!

Here is the Snopes breakdown:

snopes.com: Spokeo

Claim: Your personal information may be viewable through the Spokeo web site.

Also, Free People Search by ZabaSearch! is another site!

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

they have my name address and phone number but apparently im 50 and retired, i am only 34 and work my *** off.

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

If you want your eyes opened up, try Pipl.com

4. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Damn Glashartt that is scary. They have addresses I forgot I used to live at listed on there. With accurate phone numbers too. Some of those are places I rented and until recently I have never filled out a forwarding address so for them to know that it's the same me in Alaska and Virginia is impressive.

5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Not only acurate phone numbers, but unlisted ones.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I went to that Pipl site with my name. Thank goodness I have a common name. That site is a tad scary, thanks, Glasshart. :eek:

Ok, my name and different cities where I lived turns up accurate addys but not dates and years. Hell, one put me at the correct addy then but said I was 8 years older than I am. What the hell?

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

8. suprdave

suprdave New Member

That site will end a few marriages. You can see all Facebook and Myspace accounts...:eek:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What goes on the web, stays available on the web. Those engines merely dig thru what is out there. Try this- go to Google, and type in your area code and phone number.

Of course it is much harder to find info on me since I entered the witness protection program. :rolleyes:

10. ALSGUN

ALSGUN New Member

Scary site, really need to keep info to yourself as much as possible.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

You can easily opt out of Spokeo by going to their website.

It said I was Asian and my home was worth over $1 million....neither of these things is true.

12. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Thanks, thanks a lot, just when I thought they couldn't find me anymore, you have to show me this! It's not that I'm paranoid or anything, wait what was that! Did you hear that? They're commmiiinnngggg!!!! RUN! Never mind it was just the mailman, I guess I'm gonna need ANOTHER new mailman, they should know better than to just walk up and knock on peoples doors like that!!
    Seriously though, Thats way too much PUBLIC info floating around.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn! That site just shot the shi*ite out of my whole "off the grid for so many years" personna. :eek:

They have a couple of my old addresses. They have my parents names' right ( both deceased ) and they have my sister's name right.

They don't have any accurate, up to date info, unless I pay for one of the services they offer, but that was still scary.

They found a customer's blog posting where he referenced working with me, by name, a few years back and company I worked for. Now that was scary.

Glasshartt has effectively burst the collective incognito bubble around here... LOL

14. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Click what is your recent location, etc.! It has your current underneath it!
    Holy Crap! This is beyond scary!

It had the iformation listed in the www.whitepages.com

15. orangello

orangello New Member

LOL! The last thing spokeo has on me was about three houses ago in another state. They do still have a cell number that i use; of course, it is a different area code than the one in which i currently reside.

edit* Not sure i did the pipl.com site correctly, but it didn't seem to have anything on me.

I was surprised than neither turned my name up as a past instructor at a certain community college.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

When I typed in my name, this is what I got:

We could not locate 'Derek XXXXXXXX'.
    Are you sure you spelled the person's name correctly?

Sweet. LOL

I just tried my full name and spokeo has NOTHING on me.....

17. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

SCARY indeed.

Looked up some names.
    A lady I knew passed away.