SCAM- Foundation for American Vets

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by c3shooter, Feb 4, 2011.

1. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I am generally a fairly laid back person if no one is dead, wounded too badly to keep up, etc, but at the moment

I AM PISSED AND WANT TO DO GRIEVOUS BODILY HARM TO SOME PEOPLE !!!

My lady got a telephone solicitation from the Foundation for American Veterans. We have a few local charities we support, plus Fisher House. I have coached her that you do not give ANYBODY a credit card number that YOU did not call in the first place. She agreed to a pledge- send me the paperwork, will send you a modest donation. They describe themselves as providing help for Vets in hospitals, care packages for GIs in Afghanistan, and medical equipment and clothing for VA hospitals.

Tonight, I ran them thru the computer. Yeah- right. Approximately SIX BLEENING PERCENT of what they collect goes to any sort of veteran's charity. 85% goes to professional fundraisers. What is left is divided just about evenly between admin costs, and salaries for the Director and his wife.

I am so angry at these jerks I am seriously considering calling in one of the few serious favors I am owed, and asking some folks in North Carolina to pay them a visit and improve the human race.

Run a Google for "Foundation for American Veterans" and see for yourself. If you spend time on any OTHER forum, please help pass the word.

C3

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That is just discusting.

3. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Yep. As soon as you ask for something in the mail, they hang up. Any legit charity is not shy about how much of the money goes to the real cause, and by law they all have to send you the disclosure stuff.

There is a special place in Hell for the people that prey on the goodness of people trying to acknowledge the service of Veterans.

Does anyone audit this stuff? I'd be curious about how they determine 6%.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Charitywatch.org does a decent job of sorting sheep from goats. While a "non profit" does not have to file a lot of paperwork, there is a form 990 they have to do- shows monies collected, and what it is spent for.

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Those how endeavor to make a living on the suffering or plight of another etch themselves a special place in hell, and if I can start the party rolling while they are still walking the earth; I'm game!!

emails sent!!

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The sad thing is that people will not check an official sounding name.

Thanks for the heads up.