SBR Upper Recommendations

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AndyRexia, Oct 11, 2012.

1. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

I'm starting my SBR build and I need recommendations. Was thinking about the 10.5" upper from PSA. Anyone have any other recommendations? I already got my lower and lpk so I just need the upper and a stock. Also, what optics work best for sbr's? I obviously dont plan on shooting great distances with it. It's more for home/yard defense. Was thinking a micro eotech would do the job. I have a 552 eotech on my 16" and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well maybe an acog lol. I need input! I'm excited to be doing another build. Did my first build a year ago and had a blast.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

if i was going shorter than 14" i would look at a different caliber that works better in a short barrel than 556. maybe a 9mm or 300blk and run surpressed under a middy or rifle handguard. but you got a while before you can buy the upper takes months to get the stamp then the engraving.

3. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Well JonM I want as short as I can go without getting an AR pistol. 14" is that? I want 5.56 so I can use ammo I already have. Yeah, I'm going to have to wait on the paperwork. Any suggestions on uppers? I've never delved into the sbr world before.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

16" is the legal length in the states without a stamp or pistol lower. 14" in nothing more than my opinion is the shortest length a 556 is reasonably useful.

to be a legal sbr and you dont get to serve time in the "federal pound you in the ass prison" you need a NFA tax stamp. they cost 200$ and a 3-9 month wait after filling out and submitting the proper paperwork to batfe. check out the nfa/ffl subforum for more info on sbr tax stamps etc

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I got Spike's complete 10.5" URG for $500 shipped from Aimsurplus.com. u might want to put your email on the item's notify list.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a.../.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=spike

Have u installed the stock on the lower yet, even once? If you haven't, don't put the stock on. Register it as AR pistol so that u can shop for the SBR upper and play with it, while waiting for the stamp.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  6. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Ok so I did a 180 and decided to get the Dissippator upper from PSA. The only thing I can't decide now is should I get MOE handguards or grind down the FSP and free float that bitch. I'm also undecided on my stock. I'm wondering if I should just go with Magpul as usual or the VLTOR IMOD clubfoot. Any input?

7. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Or should I just get a middy, grind the FSB off, and get a long railed handguard?

8. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

The Dissipator already has a gas block under the hand guard. they put a FS at the end. So you could take off the Front Sight and put a New Rail.

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yup this is what a Dissy looks like naked . Im not 100% sure but Im thinking a 12" and possibly a 13" handguard will fit behind the FSB

Attached Files:

10. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Oh nice. Thanks for educating me. That would make things much simpler. So I'm guessing that's a middy gas system?

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes and a 9" handguard leaves about 3/8" between it and the FSB on a mid gas so 12" should fit the dissy for sure , just not sure about the 13"

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  12. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Ok tyvm. Now I just need to decide if I want a rail or leave the FSB and go Magpul.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

all depends on how much money you want to spend . These things are forever endless money pits :D

14. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Well money isn't really a problem. Recently divorced so I can spend my money on what I choose now. Ok trying to figure out what would be easier. Get a middy upper from BCM and put a VTAC rail on it (which would require removing the fsb) or getting a dissy upper from psa, removing the fsb, and putting same VTAC rail on it. I've decided either way to remove the fsb, just not sure which upper to go with. Either way I'm going to need a gunsmith. If for some reason I decide to keep the fsb, I'll probably just slap some moe handguards on it. I want a 16" barrel with as little of the barrel sticking out from the handguard as possible. I want asd much sight radius as I can get and I want to be able to grab the rifle as close to the muzzle as I can.

15. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Or, get a middy upper from PSA and do the rail thing. PSA is cheaper than BCM without sacrificing quality IMO. That damn FSB is going to be a PITA no matter what. Other members here have said taking a Dremel to the FSB is not hard at all. Don't know if I trust myself enough to do it though.

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I'm in the process of building right now. I was debating to get middy upper from BCM. And thinking removing the fsb and removing the delta ring and springs. But i changed my mind. Instead, i got Spike's stripped upper, DD lo pro gas block and DD cfh barrel. It turns out cheaper or about the same. Now i'm waiting for my MI SS G2 rail.

17. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Really? Where did you order from? Sounds like the way to go. Aim surplus?

18. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Rogtactical.com (X-Mark). He always ships on the same day you placed the order. But i think the DD LW Midlength 16" is out of stock as i ordered his last one. PM him for parts and how soon he can get them in.
    Then order gas tube from anywhere else :)

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

So if your just going to change the hand guard out why does it have to be a middy ? why not just go with PSAs cheap $269 16" carbine, cut down or change out the fsb and put on the handguard you want ? You are truely not going to notice any difference between in recoil between the 2 of them with just the gas system alone and the carbine has more than proven itself over many many years . I have both middy and several carbines , realistically no difference between the 2 for what your doing you might as well go the cheapest route if your going to remove the FSB

20. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Best and cheapest suggestion! I agree!.
    But.. for a compensation.. get to wait weeks for PSA notorious long shipments. :)