SBR questions

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by TankTop, Sep 23, 2014.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

As a married man I don't have an unlimited money tree. I want an SBR, can I get a stripped lower and file my form 1 (obviously decide on a length) and build the firearm at my leisure?

"We compromised in ways that sometimes we didn't sleep well at night but we did it so people could be free, this isn't freedom, this is fear".

The Winter Soldier

2. TankTop

Thanks for all the help, going to meet with a lawyer tomorrow and fill out some paperwork.

"We compromised in ways that sometimes we didn't sleep well at night but we did it so people could be free, this isn't freedom, this is fear".

The Winter Soldier

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

SBR- Sesame Breaded Rabbit. It's delicious.

Also stands for Short Barreled Rifle. A stocked firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches, and/or overall length less than 26 inches. Regulated in a similar manner to machine guns.

sbr.jpg

6. indy36

indy36 New Member

When my Draco was built it was done so with being an SBR at some point. I had the builder weld and pin an A2 extended flash hider on it that made it not an SBR in the eyes of the law. I get to shoot it NOW and at some later point, when I get around to it and pay the fee and such, I can remove the A2 and it will be an SBR.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1411605859.227167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Thank you.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

when you submit the forms to the batfe you will need the serial number of the lower and other wording to be engraved. so you need to be in posession of the lower.

also posessing a shorter than 16" barrel before you have the stamped and proper engravings on the lower receiver is a legal no-go. constructive intent.

best way to do it is buy everything but the barrel. run your paperwork. while the paperwork is in process find an engraver familiar with batfe sbr engraving. get the engraving of your trust or name depending on how your applying for the stamp and i believe location of the trust engraved on the receiver to the correct depth and font size.

once you get the stamp THEN buy the barrel but not until you have posession of the stamp.

9. TankTop

Thanks JonM, I'm also trying to figure out how to measure properly for OAL. How exact do you need to be, I see pictures on this forum of people changing buttstocks all the time which I'm assuming would change the OAL by 1/2" plus or minus?

The Winter Soldier

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

when you sbr the oal doesnt matter anymore.

barrel length is measured from the closed bolt face to the crown of the barrel.

the information you put on the application is the shortest length with the stock collapsed or folded. and the length of the barell your using. this can all be changed after you get the stamp. they just want an initial description of the firearm as built. they dont care if you mod it later.

remember im not an expert on sbr. you need to consult an attourney or knowledgable nfa dealer familiar with the sbr process

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014