Saying Origin?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MCarter788, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MCarter788

MCarter788 New Member

What is the origin of the saying Kentucky Crosswinds? I understand what it means, but why Kentucky? Does it have some crazy cross winds there? Or is there some kind of historical reference to it?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

actually it's Kentucky windage. IIRC, it means to estimate the wind downrange and adjust accordingly.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Perhaps it is in reference to the "Kentucky rifle?"

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Kentucky windage is adjusting your side to side point of impact by guessing where you need your point of aim to be to achieve that point of impact without adjusting the sights. It could be to compensate for crosswinds on a long shot. Early precision marksmen used rifles instead of muskets, many of the early riflemen came from the hill country around Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky, as well as Pennsylvania. One of the more popular firs of rifle was the Kentucky Rifle which may have had a smaller bore and thus shot lighter bullets that could be more affected by the wind. Early sights didn't have a quick easy way to adjust side to side compensation or windage, some had some elevation adjustment, though most did not.

Put it all together and the origin is probably somewhere in there.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Primitive sights on the early American Rifle AKA Kentucky rifle were not adjustable. The rifles were zeroed at maybe 50 yards. On targets beyond that the shooter had to know where the rifle "Threw" the ball and hold off right or left to compensate for distance. The rifle shot a patched round ball and would "Yaw" or drift according to the pitch of the rifling.
    The hold over for drop was refereed to as Tennessee elevation. Humm? On that one your guess is as good as mine?:confused:

6. SSGN_Doc

My post was mostly speculation based on multiple clues.

Now if you want to know how the phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey", is a nautical term, I can tell you for sure.

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Run with it Doc!!

*grabs popcorn and prepares to be regailed yet again with origins of nautical terms* :)

8. SSGN_Doc

Back in the days of wooden ships and iron men...

On the gun decks cannon balls were arranged in pyramid shaped stacks on s brass plate with indentations or holes cut in them to keep the foundation layer of cannon balls from rolling around as the ship would pitch in the sea. These plates were referred to as brass monkeys. Brass and iron being metals if differing densities would expand and contract at different rates as temperatures would change. Brass contracts considerably more and faster than iron. When temps got cold enough the holes or indentations would contract to a small enough diameter that they would force the still larger iron balls up and off the plate, sending them rolling around the gun deck. Thus the weather had gotten cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass monkey.

Learned while touring the USS Constitution in Boston Harbor.

9. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I believe it has something to do with Kentucky being the best state, and all the other states wanting to be it.

:p

10. SSGN_Doc

Or being aware of which way the wind is blowing so you aren't down wind of all the horse ranches there.

Blue grass doesn't smell any sweeter after its been through a thoroughbred.

11. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I don't smell the horses, just the dairy farm down the road.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The term "Kentucky" during the time of the Over the Mountain Men referred to any Frontiersman. Lewis & Clark had a number of "Kentucky" hunters on their expeditions. These woodsmen were recruited in Southern Illinois.The term Kentucky rifle in todays speech would be a wilderness rifle.
    It may be of interest? The Common Wealth of Kentucky during the Jacksonian era passed some of the first most restrictive gun laws. They were so bad the Common Wealth was sued and lost to the Supreme court. The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was returned to the residents of Kentucky. Sounds like some of the states today.:(

13. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I always suspected that was the case since the term Kentucky was used so often before the state even existed. Thanks for adding that. :)