sawing off shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by shooter88, Nov 17, 2011.

1. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Hey guys i just got a used mavrick model 88 from a friend and ive allready got two shotguns so i wanna saw this one off as short as i can legaly. It has a 28" vent ribbed barrell. I want it to look pretty decent and all i can use is a hack saw. I can use a hose clamp as a guide but im still leary of it since I've never done this. Ill be very thankfully for any advice thank you.

2. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

aieeeyah.

Why do you want to saw it off?

3. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

If all you can use is a hacksaw, then I'd just be happy with a 28" vent ribbed bbl. Sawing off a bbl is difficult enough without the vent rib, but you'll never get it to "look right" with the vent rib using a hacksaw.

...of course, the Mavericks are lower-end shotguns anyhow, so it'd be just as good a gun as any to try it on. You can order new bbls for them just as easy, though.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I thought it was illegal to saw it off, even if it's kept to legal overall barrel length.

5. Slugo

Slugo New Member

maybe we should rename this forum, MoronsTalk.com

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't push the limit, stay at 19" minimum for margin of error. Also, realize that sawing the barrel may leave uneven edges or burrs that could make shooting the gun much less safe.

Personally, i would save up the ~$80 for a new 18.5" barrel with a nice lil sight bead and everything. Actually, that is about what i did with my Mossberg500; now i can take it hunting or set it up for HD pretty easily. Barrel change is quick on these.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  7. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

Not at all (at least on the federal side... check with state and local laws...)

Is long as the bbl length is AT LEAST 18 inches, you're good. Most folks who saw them off measure out 18.5 inches. It gives them a little margin of error in case they booger up the job and have to take more off to correct their mistakes...

8. wjkuleck

wjkuleck Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

...and the overall length is 26 inches. This Remington Model 11 is legal:

[​IMG]

Regards,

Walt

9. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Yea i know the lengths and stuff and it is legal to saw it off as long as the barrell is atleast 18 and the overall length is 26. My mossberg 535 is allready set up with a 28" vent ribbed barrell so im not worries about this one ive some hacksaw jobs that looked really good after fileing and reblueing i think i can do it ive seen to many of them cut and im good enough with my hands to not think i can do it lol i just want a sawed 12 gauge lol

10. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

I think mine will turn out right at about 19" or so

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

slugo seeing this post you are so right

12. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

How do you figure?? Are you seeing something I'm not?? I saw a legitimate question (that may should've been asked in the gunsmithing/DIY forum), and I saw legitimate answers.

What's so "moronic" about any of this??? :confused:

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I cut my mossy 500 down to 19 inches. I was going to do it long just in case. But it came out so nice I just left it. Why not give it a try since it is a cheap gun? Just leave yourself a little extra in case you booger it up. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel. I then used some really fine wet sand paper on the end. I needed to reblue the whole thing anyway.

14. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

I think i will rick thanks for your input. Its just a mavrick anyways i still have my big mossy 535 thats still like brand new with a 3 1/2" chamber and 28" vent rib barrell and i also have old faithfull my first gun i bought with my own money lol a remington single shot 12 gauge... So im good on shotguns if anything happens to this one lol

15. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Were do i get the stuff to reblue the end of the barrell??

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Big 5 sporting goods stores, brothels, midway usa.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I used Birchwood Casey's "Perma Blue". I bought it at a gun store for around $5. It looks pretty good. If you really look at it hard you can tell it is not a factory job. But it was a rust bucket to start with. I am very happy with the finished job.

18. shooter88

shooter88 New Member

Lol OK can I get it abusers in tx lol

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Autocorrect. LOL. I meant brownells.

20. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Doesn't matter if it's a Mav or Mossberg. The barrels are the same.
    Were you have a vented rid just trade a 181/2 barrel with one of your bodies. I've never had to cut down a barrel on a 500 because the barrels are readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk