sawed off

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by SlimBillyJimBob, Mar 31, 2011.

1. SlimBillyJimBob

SlimBillyJimBob New Member

I am curious as to why for years I have seen many sawed off double barrel shotguns but never and over/ under it would seem to make more sense to have one of these ... I would like to hear comments and feedback from this subject please I myself would think that an application like this is practical for the simple fact that it could be holstered if one so desired

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Why would it make more sense to cut down an O/U verses a SxS?

Welcome to the forum, Slim. Stop by the intro area and let everyone know you are here.

3. SlimBillyJimBob

I am not sure as to why ? The question is why not ? it seems that everyone always wants to do something different and not follow the normal routine of others I was curious and figured I would ask a few people who have been around guns and have had experience with the many different aspects of shooting it seems as practical for nothing else the simple fact that a handgun holster could be worn and the said weapon could be carried in an environment that is appropriate to do so

4. spittinfire

You know shortening a shotgun to anything shorter then 18" is illegal, right?

5. SlimBillyJimBob

yes I do and don't have any immediate plans of doing such was just curious as to why in our quest to reach new goals and to do things that haven't been done I thought some one might have done or seen this done before

6. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I can see where you may be coming from a SxS would take up a more square shape, where an O/U would be flatter.
    I wonder about how they are built if it has anything to do with it.
    Best of luck

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just saw a Browning Superposed that had been cut down to about 18" or 20". the barrels had been damaged so the owner had it cut to salvage it. If you want to cut one down, get a Condor or one of the new Mossberg Mavericks. The SBS coach guns are probably more for tradition than function.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I've always thought of SxS's as less expensive and more "common man" tools than the over/under shotties. I don't duck hunt or shoot clay pigeons, though.

I do remember a movie in which one of the lead characters carried a sawed-down-to-a-nub shotgun, but i can't recall the name at this moment. The character was a black man, and the scene i recall involved a quiet, polite bank robbery with the assistance of a young lady. I believe the bank teller got locked in the closet.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esff0_yiJHU[/ame] not the movie

This website has a list of some movies in which sawed off over/under's were used: http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=SU-16_rifle_series

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Check out lock stock and two smoking barrels

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

the reason you dont see it much is because of helliwood. they used SxS. criminals got the idea from bad gangster movies. the shorter the shotgun barrel the more useless it becomes.

if you wanted something wicked a class 2 double shotgun with 8inch barrel and choke tubes. that is if you can have a legal licensed shortbarrel shotgun.

11. SlimBillyJimBob

thanks to all that posted a reply just never saw one knew they had to exist though

12. Colossal Urprising

Colossal Urprising New Member

The guy in that video is a complete idiot.

13. spittinfire

All 3 of them are, not just one. The guy kicking the gun is an extra special complete idiot.

What really worries me is that the girls in the video sounded impressed so that means we have complete idiots breeding with complete idiots which results in total idiots....This explains the current political & economic climate in our country.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

In the movie "Buck and the Preacher" Sidney Poitier carried 2 sawed off O/Us in twin holsters a la Hollywood Buscadero style. It was an entertaining show, tho possibly not Poitiers finest effort.

15. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

It is the end of the gene pool that that group is in that is in desperate need of chlorine. Bunch of morons that shouldn't have firearms. They obviously have no respect for them.

16. SlimBillyJimBob

I watched vid and was amazed @ how stupid the "BOYS" were its scary what dumb things people do when shooting:confused: There is an open gravel pit here where all the locals go and I and it amazes me that people don't get hurt up there everything from 50 cals. to the tiniest of some tactical ??? what ever they are My daughter and I go there walk thru the woods and down to the far end just to stay away from the crazies :eek:

17. DocWard

DocWard New Member

18. DocWard

DocWard New Member

19. powg

powg New Member

Imo the reason you ''see ''more double barrels sxs than o/u is that most o/u are in general more expensive shooters /high grade collectables thus not conducive to being sawed off /shortened or in some pompous circles "ruined''. I saw in a gun mag the new guns for 2011-2012 someone has a o/u short barreled,syn stock utility gun . In hollywood the movie Sharkey's Machine ,featured the bad guy (sylva) using a sawed o/u ...very bad ***.

20. Paltik

Paltik New Member

This is not quite true. Acquire the appropriate permit from the BATFE ($200 NFA tax) and you may saw off your shotgun, IIRC. It's just that anything with an 18"+ barrel doesn't require the permit.