Sawed off shotgun laws

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by molonlabexx, Mar 25, 2014.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

A sawed off shotgun is legal in Ohio (18.5") but something that is fuzzy to me, and I think this is pretty much national (except in that state that starts with a C and ends in "sh^$%") so don't let the state fool you. Does a sawed off need a front bead sight to be considered legal? Mine is a break action single shotgun, model 37 winchester and a few months ago I sawed it off to 18.5".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

whether it has a sight, or bead has nothing to do with it being legal as far as i know. the barrel length and OAL are your main concerns per BATF regulations, but some states may have other restrictions.

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

^^^^Correct. Sight doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I meet the requirements for length but I always thought you had to have a bead sight or some sort of front sight for it to be legal. I KNOW I saw this somewhere but can't recall where, That would be awesome if I don;t need it, because I don;t have it. So far I have kept the gun locked up because if it didn't have the bead on it, it would be "illegal". So hopefully I don't need it!

5. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Upon further research, I technically do not have a sawed off, even though I took a hack saw to the barrel, if it is over 18" it is just a shotgun (and the 26" overall. So I guess I just have a shotgun. My my I have learned so much tonight....