Saw one of my unicorn guns today

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by aandabooks, Jul 11, 2014.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Brand new on the store shelf available for sale was a Coonan. It was absolutely gorgeous and felt so right in my hand. Read a magazine article on these guns about a year ago and never thought I would actually ever see one that wasn't already owned. Wait list is supposed to be a year or more. Unfortunately, I'm about 4 hours from home and with Illinois' waiting period I can't buy the gun. It was in the $1400 range.

What unicorn guns are out there for some of you?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

pair of sequential serial 45colt 4.25" barreled colt SAA new manufacture brand new

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

New England R22 .22 magnum revolver. if I could get one with a 6 inch heavy barrel, that would complete my collection of calibers NEF made: 22LR, 22 mag, & 32 H&r mag

last I looked on gunbroker, there were 2 for sale but both in rough shape. I'm waiting on a good one.

4. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

I used to have a list of 'unicorn' guns... then at one time or another I owned all the important ones. Now I just keep my eye out for something that might catch my fancy.

I still keep my eye out for pre-Model 27's and early highway patrolmans, early j frames, 2nd model Woodsmans,

The hunt ultimately has been much more rewarding than the acquisition.

Here were some of my unicorns over the years...

1st year production 1911 issued to the signal corps (later to become the fledgling U.S. Army Air Corps of the expeditionary forces in WW1).

[​IMG]

1902 American Eagle

[​IMG]

C96/16 "unissued" reported to have belonged to August A. Wiess, head of Mauser small arms from 1910(?) to 1945.

[​IMG]

Mod. 1886 in 50-110

[​IMG]

1st year production AR15 (1964)

[​IMG]

There have been many more. Some took decades to find, most were gained before the internet became such a misrepresentation of values and before the costs exceeded the worth.

The last unicorn gun I found was a 1st year production Centennial (1952) -- found last year at a gunshow. Guy selling it either didn't know or didn't care about it's low 4 digit serial #.

[​IMG]

5. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I sold one about a year ago that you'd die for. Another collector, this one has about a dozen NEF and H&R guns, in Lansing, Mi .

Attached Files:

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

.50-110 :eek: what a beast!

No offense and none taken

7. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

What can I say? I saw Quiggly Down Under and initially wanted a .45-110. Then the NRA sent out commemorative 50-110 silver plated bullets and I thought "I need me a gun that shoots this..."

Got it. Shot a moose with it. Sold it.

8. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I really want a Korth revolver.

I really like Colts, but if I'm going to drop several grand on a .357, I want a piece of steel artwork.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Me- I'm not picky. Any of the double rifles you can see in the NRA Museum.

:p

10. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

And I thought my tastes ran a little on the expensive side. You want a Holland & Holland Bespoke side lock, too?

11. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

Holland & Holland is so cliche. I'm sure C3 is referring to a Purdy or Rigby or maybe even a VO...

... Perhaps even to stoop to the VO Falcon. Though a bolt action, with an $850,000 price tag and interchangeable barrels (one in 30.06, the other 6.5x55),
    you'll sure to be the only fellow at the club fielding one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The only one I regret missing out on was a Mateba Unica 6 Autorevolver... Found it for $1000, wish I woulda bought it.. Money is easier to come by than a Mateba... :(

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As I said, I am not that picky. Maybe this one...

NRA 070.jpg

or even this one.....

NRA 068.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  14. indy36

indy36 New Member

Most of mine are shotguns now, and they don't even have to be old or rare. They are just guns that I can't afford that I'd like to own. There is the K-80, the Kolar Max Skeet, the Guerini EVOlution, and one pistol, the artillery Luger.

Attached Files: