Savage???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mrb1982, May 2, 2011.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I've been kinda out of the latest and greatest of guns lately because I have shot a lot of archery. Now I am bored of archery and back to guns. When I last bought a rifle, Savage was a descent gun but I always regarded Remingtons and Weatherby's to be a little nicer. I am hearing things now that people are saying the Savage's have really stepped up their performance and quality and the Remington and Weatherby's have kinda come back to the pack a little bit. Anybody got any info or input on this one? I'm looking for a reasonably priced 22 250 so I am just kinda of weighing my options. Thanks for any input you might have.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Savage rifles are probably the best bang for the buck. Always have been, but they now have a cult following.

3. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Savages are great guns... well... they are very accurate guns. Which is all that really matters imo, that and weight. When it comes to bolt actions anyway, they are pretty hard to make unreliable :p

Also, Savage has so many different models now its like getting an ar-15 you can pay as much or as little as you want... unlike ar15s you will always get a quality firearm regardless of which model you get.

Sidenote: 22-250 has better steel penetration than a .30-06 inside of 150yards... food for thought

4. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I got a 7mm Rem Mag that I use for most big game. Best gun I've ever bought, it's just comfortable to me and I shoot it well. I am going for a a 22-250 for a few prairie dogs here and there, some coyotes, and for meat hunting. I want to put a high power scope on it and plop some does in the head.

5. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

savage is a great buy for the $$$ IMO

I really like the accutrigger in there rimfire rifles...............I love my winchester wildcat but wish I would have got a savage after shooting one. my wildcat is crazy accurate for a $220 russian made riffle but that accutrigger that savage has works great IMO as the one I shot was an even more ridiculously accurate riffle for that price range.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You can't go wrong with a Savage.I have 5 of them.

If you want a great shooting rifle,take a look at the Model 12.They have a 26" heavy barrel and they are tack drivers.If that is a little to heavy for you,the Model 14-Blued,or the Model 16-Stainless are also great rifles with a 22" traditional Tapered barrel.You will lose a little accuracy and fps with the taper barrel,but unless you get it really hot,they still are very accurate.

7. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I have no intention to carry this rifle long distances at all, it is strictly a bipod gun so weight isn't a big issue, actually, would prefer the heaviness. Sounds like a dandy of a gun to me. Put a high mag scope on and start filling the freezer.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I bought a Remington 700 for my most recent bolt gun. IT WAS TOTAL CRAP!!! A co-worker bought a Savage Edge (both were .300 win mag) around the same time. . . he is still happily shooting his rifle and took game with it this season.

Mine on the other hand was sold as quickly as possible (for a loss of course) in order to fund a decent project. My 1st AR build. . . :)

9. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

What was wrong with the Remington 700 that made it crap?

10. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Uh oh, this is going to get ugly fast now....

inb4flamewar:cool:

11. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I didn't mean for it to end up down that sort of trail. I have been a member of Archerytalk now for a few years, and see this sort of thing happen frequently. I was just asking for the sake of curiousity I guess. I'll just close it if it starts to get out of hand.

12. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

It's not your fault, its just that typically what happens with these threads about savage is 1 of 2 things.

1. someone comes in and says savages suck and are absolute garbage and the r700 beats all models of savages hands down because the r700 is obviously the greatest rifle ever produce and will continue to be the greatest rifle ever made for the rest of human history (I'm exagerating but you get the picture). Which is... Dumb and incorrect. Then a whole bunch of people get on and say #2.

2. someone comes in and says the r700 sucks and is garbage and is the worst rifle ever made and will continue to be the worst rifle ever produced for the rest of human history (again im exagerating). Which is also dumb and incorrect. Then a whole bunch of people come on and say #1.

But we may get lucky and avoid all of that and have a nice civil discussion about what you are looking for information on. Bottom line is that savages are excellent rifles, so are r700's and its largely personal preference.

One of the major downsides of savages is that the lower end models have lackluster stocks on them, they do the job but they arent pretty. There are models available with much better stocks (last I checked they were McMillan stocks) but they are quite a bit more dough as well. IMO looks are the last thing that matters when you are purchasing a bolt action rifle. IMO when I look for a bolt action rifle (and its not for my ww2 bolt action rifle collection) I prioritize accuracy, ergonomics, then looks. Which naturally puts savage pretty high on my list as they are one of if not the most accurate out of the box rifles you can buy.

It's really personal preference, All of the companies you mentioned make very good firearms so find what you like that fits your budget and go with it. Though my recomendation is to savage.

13. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Thanks for the honest opinion, it is very much appreciated. I am a fan of the Remingtons, but I think there are also a lot of other really good guns out there. I kinda like the Savage 12 series. they have some nice heavy barreled stuff. I would go with either the sythetic or the laminate. The laminates look nice, but the synthetics tend to be a little more durable so I have to decide if I am going to use this gun for show or work. lol When you say lower end models, are the 12's considered that or what's the story on that? I have seen some nice thumb hole laminates they make that aren't the worst price either, just a couple thoughts. any input you have would be great. Thanks.

14. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

also, like you, accuracy is number one. I try not to be a fanboy. If I can get a highly accurate gun for a good price, that is what I am going for. I know that some of the more expensive stuff is nicer, but if I can get a good accurate, heavy rifle for a good price, that is what it is all about. I want to put this thing on a set of bipods, put a high mag scope on it, settle in and smack some deer in the head with it. That is waht I am truely going for.

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I agree, a little more detail would be helpful when making such a bold statement.

Tell you what, I recently bought a Rem 700 Classic, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites. And my rifles run the gamut of different makers.

16. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

The 12 series is around medium area i guess. In every series except for the edge/axis they have a wide variety of options available. I'm not a savage expert so I can't really tell you the pros and cons of each individual series, But generally speaking their synthetic stocks arent very pretty.

17. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I would have to agree. I think personally, in general, that synthetic stocks aren't really the most beautiful things in the world, but I do enjoy the durability feature of them. Bouncing around a pickup a little bit at the ranch and they don't even notice it. I fear buying a nice wooden stock type bow that it may not hold up as nicely, just a thought I guess. My favorite "looking" gun is the laminate stock with a blue/black barrel. Limits my selection cosmetically, but next I would kinda like to buy just a straight all black with synthetic. I don't care how pretty it is, I just want it to be accurate. Plus, if I use it for coyotes or anything like that, it won't be as easy to see as a stainless steel would be.

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

700 Classic is a cut above. The new 700s I've played with in the last couple of years have been rough and crude compared to the older ones which are very smooth and nice. I like the 700 just fine, but prefer other rifles. Mainly due to the price variance.

If I am picking a bolt gun for serious use, it will be a M70 controlled feed, or a CZ550. Mauser action for the win.

But for punching holes, the Savage is as good as any rifle made, and very affordable.

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

mrb,

Giving both rifle manufacturers credit where credit is due. I have three Remington Rifles. One is an older Remington ADL in 243 Winchester, a 40X Sniper Rifle in 308 and a newer 700 Remington CDL in 7mm Remington Magnum which I hunt with. All are fine rifles and the new 700 CDL shot less than 1/2 MOA groups on the bags at 100 right out of the box when the old man is having a good day. So it is hard for me to knock the new 700s except they could certainly improve the trigger pull. I set the new 700 CDL's trigger at 3.5 Lbs before zeroing it. On the other hand I have owned a few Savage rifles in my day. And they too were all fine rifles. I presently have a Savage 10 Series Predator Hunter in 223 cal. It also is a fine shooter. Less than a MOA Group at 100 yards. So I guess you could say it seems to be a personal preference as to which weapon you like the feel of and fits you!
    Good luck! And I do not think you could go wrong with either. I will also agree that the Savage is a great rifle for the money.

20. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. To be honest, it will probably end up coming down to what I can get for what money. We'll just have to wait and see. A lot of good gun manufacturers out there really. I think if I do a good job of finding a good load for the gun, it will make a big difference and be alright.