Firearms Talk banner

Savage Stevens model?

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Txhillbilly 
#1 ·
I would appreciate it if anybody could give me information, like model, of this gun. My dad got it for me for Christmas. Never got to use it and somehow my dad lost it in the back of his closet.

I am not able to find a serial number anywhere on the gun. The only info I can get off the gun is:

Proof tested-20 gauge-2 3/4 inch Chamber
(etched on the bottom end of the barrel)
and
STEVENS Savage Arms Corporation
(etched on the receiver frame)

It is a 20 gauge pump with a pump lock on the back joint of the trigger guard. Barrel length is approximately 27 inches and stock length is approximately 13 1/2 inches.

I would appreciate help from anybody with info on the model of this gun. I have searched for 20 gauge pump Savage Stevens firearms but without a serial number it has proven difficult.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a Stevens 520. Designed by the master himself, JM Browning.

Made with several variations in safety location etc., they were also
popular as "house branded" guns. Good solid shotguns, IIRC they
do not have a disconnector, so you can hold the trigger back and
pump/fire it. Some of the old oned have a problem ejecting plastic
hulls. They were designed for roll crimp paper, and the ejection
port is a bit short.

#3 · (Edited)
BillM is correct,It is a Savage 520.It looks like yours needs a little TLC,but these are great old shotguns.It is also a takedown gun,pull the slide back and turn the magazine tube to release the cam lock in the bottom of the receiver. Then wiggle the action arm loose from the bolt,and slide the forearm assembly forward. Hold the receiver/buttstock in one hand and push straight down on the barrel right in front of the receiver,and the gun should come apart.
If the gun has been dry fired,you will not be able to cycle the slide until you put forward pressure on the slide to release the bolt locking mechanism.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.