Savage stevens 200 .308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

2. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Reconsidering already

Ok, so ive done some more extensive research and found a gun that is supposedly supposed to deliver a lot more bang for my buck.

Weatherby Vanguard .308 Winchester for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $395.00

- is the new thought im having.... anyone with a good or bad review 4 that rifle? I definitely think it is a more attractive rifle, and most of the gun is made by howa for weatherby from what i understand, and i trust howa more than stevens.

Still probably gonna go with the scope in the previous post tho :p

3. TexasPatriot.308

TexasPatriot.308 New Member

I got a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08, after boresighting, and a few tuning shots I shot a dime size group with factory Hornady ammo, scope is a 3x9x 50 Nikon that cost more than the gun, it aint pretty but it outshoots lots of my friends high dollar guns, the Weatherby $399 rifles I hear shoot just as good, I am gonna get me another .22-250, tossup between these 2 brands.

4. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I have a Stevens 200 in .223 with a burris fullfield 2 and some trigger work that shoots 1 in groups at 100 yds(probably better with some one who knows how to shoot:D)

5. ymmas

ymmas New Member

ihave a 26/06 and a 308 by savage /stevens they came with 3x9 scopes and shoot VERY good out of thebox, a little trigger work and a scope change brought the 25/06 too a clover leaf groupp at 120 yds the 308 got a new scope and just a little trigger work brought the 308 to a sub 1 in group at 125 yards 3 in at 250 yards and will put 5 rounds ina 3.6 group at 457 yards this is lazered range and me on a poncho, the stocks or a little flimsy but you shure get your moneys wort h, do not go cheap on optics i use burris Xtreme tactical,s in 6x24 with the mill dotmatte, works great and these scopes last

semper fi
    ymmas

6. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

ok, so the stevens is worth the money. any opinions of the vanguard? aesthetically i prefer it 2 fold, but that doesn't count for much if it cant shoot the same as that stevens can.

7. ymmas

ymmas New Member

good afternoon, i have never owned one but have shot a few, they are and allways be a great wepon but a little pricey never used to be able to finf them even close to cheap putting one next to each other is realy strecthng it, I think i gave 285.00 for the 25/06 and 345 for the 308 but to tell the truth if they were all the same price id more than likely bought somthing beside the savage steven
    ymmas

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You will be happy w/ either. I shoot a Howa in .308, great rifle. The Vangaurd is a Howa w/ a different stock.

9. Zacsquatch

Zacsquatch New Member

The stevens will be your best bet. They have alaways been extremely accurate out of the box. Weatherby has recently tried getting into the mid range rifle pricing but in doing so has loss accuracy. Stevens and Savage do this so well because its how they have always been. Weatherby has always been a high end hunting/safari rifle maker. Now that they trie to make a "cheap" rifle, they have lost a lot of their thunder.

I have a .243 stevens and it is a varmit shootin fool out to 350 yards.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have no idea where the thought that Weatherby has "recently" gotten into anything. The Vangaurd has been made by Howa since 1970. 40 years!
    Weatherby has an MOA Gaurentee! Both are good rifles, you should try a Howa or Vangaurd. The Stevens will need a new stock and trigger to come close to the Vangaurd. Still the Stevens is functional and accurate.

11. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

I'm really thinking vanguard, but i still have a little time to research before i can afford it anyways

12. Wambli

Wambli New Member

The Howa/Vangard is a great gun and every single one I've owned has been an outstanding shooter. That one I can personally recommend highly.

I don't have any experience with the Stevens but someone I know who wrote a review for a major publication sent a check for the gun when he was done testing and this gentleman knows firearms rather well.

So I guess it all comes down to which one you like better in the looks department.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Either 1 will serve you well. If forced to a choice between those 2, I'd choose the Vanguard. It's more bang for your buck at that price and you'll like it more since you like it's looks better.

14. TexasPatriot.308

TexasPatriot.308 New Member

the Vanguard is a whole lot prettier especially the sporter models. and a great guarantee of accuracy. not much more than a Stevens, I love the Stevens, bothof mine are tackdrivers but butt ugly. maybe one witha cammo stock might look better.

15. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

16. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

i like them both (yes i have both ) . the howa is a nicer looking rifle but does not group any better . my howa is a wood stock model and the blueing is very nice ,so it looks pretty . like the others has stated spend the extra money on your glass .