Savage rifles

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by michael345, May 30, 2012.

1. michael345

michael345 New Member

Am I the only person on this forum who isnt a real big savage fan? Translation: Am I the only sane person on this forum. I'm only kidding they are good shooters but that's about where it ends and considering that almost everyone here is a .308 shooting range ninja it makes sense you all like savage rifles. Aaah it feels good to get that out. Btw I don't mean to hurt feelings here I would just like to hear about why nearly everyone but me loves savages.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

okay so the jist of your post is you don't like Savage rifles. okay, that's your right. Savage makes very good rifles and pretty decent accuracy can be obtained from mot of them. i too have a Savage in 17HMR and out to about 150 yards, pretty accurate. my 308 is a Marlin XS7VH and it's pretty dang accurate. people like the Savage riles because they are a good rifle at a good price. i personally like many different brands of bolt actions and not really comfortable shooting the Savage centerfires as they don't fit me as well as other brands. but i will give them their due, they are very accurate and well built.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There are many popular guns that I don't really care for. I pretty much keep that information to myself. To me there is only two different bolt-action rifles, accurate ones and the not-so-much ones. To me they all look pretty similar. So if I find one that shoots good that is all I ask for. It happens that often Savage rifles do shoot good.

4. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

They are pretty "OK" in my book.Do understand how folks find their bolt actions looks.......well,challenging.

Ours have been used,and by some....just short of "abused" in the hunting fields.As a guide's gun,they've proven their worth.So am a bit ambivalent twds how a rifle "looks".Like the safety location and their bolts feel,and design(floating head).

I understand the difference between controlled...semi-controlled....and push feed actions.The Savages are about avg on feeding.Their cheap plastic stocks are about on par with other manuf.(read that,like rubber).

Haven't broke one yet....and they easily meet accuracy requirements.So will prolly keep the "few" that are around here,haha.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtNWwLcZL4[/ame]

6. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I have a .22 savage bolt action. I love it, accurate at 100 yards is an understatement. Affordable, good shooting rifle out of the box, good trigger.... What else does a shooter need?

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

What dont you like about them??

its fine to say something sucks but its irrelevant unless the person says why.

Ive got a savage model 10 fcp-sr in 308 and its a half moa all day. They are easy to work on. From rebarelling to changing triggers stocks etc.

My complaints is less than steller customer service in my actual experience with a out of spec firing pin assembly. Sometimes the trigger trips on loading but i had the tension set too light. Wasnt the guns fault.

Recommend: yes, just dont expect a good looking gun. They are hardware tools not works of art

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Even if you didn't mean to offend anyone calling the majority of people who own Savage rifle less than sane and shooting range ninjas is less than nice. That aside, I don't know what you don't like about them. Mine shoots great and I took a deer last year with mine in .308. I like it because of the out of the box and very consistent accuracy. Have you had a bad experience with one? Maybe they aren't extremely pretty, but they do get the job done.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Kidding or not ,savage builds a solid all around rifle today. What is your fav-O-rite label of rifle?? Or do you have one. I Don't. I do own a great old 788 remmy that I would not trade for a new 700, A also have a custom ruger 77mkII thats a 1/4moa rifle and a couple savage .22lr rifles that with good match grade ammo will shoot sub-moa. Those 2 are not annys but good .22's. I don't own a new savage centerfire but if was looking to buy a rifle today, an accurate rifle it would be a model 12 LRP . That for me would make a fine hunting rifle and have the accuracy I look for.

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Obvious troll post.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a cheap savage axis in .223 , My wife bought it for me for Christmas last yr , I was more than impressed with the accuracy of it , the trigger however not being a accu-trigger was terrible , it took some work but its a nice smooth 3.18# pull now and it shoots .5 MOA ,3 shot groups you can cover with a dime @ 100 yards. Impressive for such a cheap rifle

12. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

How much was it? I've been wanting a good 223 to pack in the truck when I'm do farm work around the house.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yes, if the op doesnt come back by tomorrow to participate its getting locked

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Agreed... I hate folks that do that..

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

She said she paid $299 for it and that was with the scope and scope mounts. The scope really was a POS and I replaced it with a much better Bushnell .
    If I had to do it again I would buy it without the scope for around $259 and use that extra money towards a nicer scope . it also comes in a variety of calibers .

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

lot of times they put a rifle and scope combo together to get someone out shooting or hunting. makes good marketing sense. lots of times the scopes are bought in bulk from different makers and are usually good enough for basic hunting distances. i too prefer to buy without a scope and choose one that suits my needs and of better quality. at $40, you wouldn't expect a Zeiss!

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well I really never gave Savage much thought growing up.My first deer rifle was given to me by my grandfather-a 1903A3 sporter(30/06) built by Paul Jaeger in the 1960's.
    I used that rifle for many years in the 70's-80's,and then started buying some Winchester 70's.The Winchester 70 is probably one of the finest factory made guns that was ever built.
    Being that I have always shot Left-Handed,I always bought RH rifles and dealt with the bolt being on the wrong side.I've owned a gun from every American mfg at one time or another.I've liked some,and hated others.
    No mfg builds the perfect rifle.You always find something that needs to be tweaked or changed.

The first Savage that I purchased was a Pre-Accutriggered 110FLP heavy barreled 300WM for long range shooting.It was used,but I bet it didn't have 2 boxes of ammo thru it.With the factory stock on it,that thing kicked like a pissed off mule in any position you shot it in.
    Now,I'll be the first to admit-Savage factory synthetic stocks SUCK!.So one of the first changes was an aftermarket stock.It had a decent factory adjustable trigger,it just needed to be smoothed up a little.
    It amazed me that a bare bones Savage 110 FLP with just a new stock and smoothed trigger would shoot 1/2 moa groups almost every time I took it out.
    My next Savage was a used 12FLVSS 223,it shot around moa completely stock.I reworked the trigger,replaced the stock with a Laminate thumbhole stock and put some decent optics/mounts on it,and it now will shoot under 1/4 moa groups if I do my part.
    I have since purchased 4 more Savage's,3 brand new-93GL 22WMR,10FCP 308,110FLCP 25/06,and a used 12FLV 308.

Why do I like Savage? They shoot very,very good and I don't need a gunsmith to work on them.In just a few minutes,I can change barrels/calibers without the need of a gunsmith for anything.

If I wanted a pretty rifle,I'd buy a Blaser 93.I want one that shoots where I aim it,and Savage does that very well!

Dallas53 likes this.
  18. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

That's a good price.

19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I like Savage Arms and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
    I own two Savage rifles,one older 06' bolt action very nice accurate rifle and would love to own a Savage model99.
    That being said,my very first rifle I purchased in the early 70s was a semi auto Westpoint 22 rifle built by Savage Arms sold by True Value Hardware store,I have to say that is the worst rifle I ever purchased.It turned out to be a jam-o-matic and not very accurate at all? I still own the 22 rifle because it is such a POS I wouldn't wish it on any shooter lol :D

I grew up with Remington which out number all my other rifles and shotguns,I guess it's just what you get use to?

20. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've had a stainless steel Savage 116 in 7mm Rem. Mag. for years that is without a doubt the MOST accurate rifle I have and I have a bunch. It came with a inexpensive factory scope setup, but it works great. It was around $350 as I recall.

My feeling is that the OP is just all butthurt because he spent 3 or 4 times the money for a Remington. It's the same type of snobbery we get in the AR Forum from the Colt, BCM & Daniel Defense guys who look down their noses disgusted by all other "lesser" brands.

Here's a picture of my Savage rifle for the OP to enjoy: :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012