Savage Model111 sprg 30 06

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Bocephus, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Bocephus

Bocephus New Member

I've always grown up around firearms, but have just recently became interested in high powered rifles. I have several things to learn. Was hoping I could get some insight on what kind of distance/yards I could expect to get from this rifle( Savage Model 111 with Simmons 3-9+40 scope . I'm hoping I could zero the rifle in at 400 + yrds. While keeping a pattern good enough to hit a target area of the size of a pumpkin (best thing I could come up with to explain the accuracy I'd like). I have a fairly cheap Simmons scope ( 3-9+40) & realize there are several factors involved with making that kind of shot. I shoot mainly for a hobby. My question is can I expect this performance from this rifle and if not or if so, what would be the maximum distance I could expect with some practice on the range. Appreciate any insight. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and we will give you a proper welcoming.

3. Bocephus

Bocephus New Member

Still trying to figure out the app. Will do as soon as I figure out how. Thanks

4. Axxe55

just look under the listings of sections of the forum. or better yet, here's a link to the introduction section!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/

5. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I don't know much about long range shooting, but I do know that that scope is going to give you issues. Cheap optics = bad shooting. 30-06 will get out there, it's just a matter of how much you have to adjust your elevation/holdover. You'll also have to figure out exactly what your rifle likes, so handloading would probably be recommended. Again though, I don't know much about shooting distances like that. I'm sure someone more experienced will stop by soon. Welcome to the forums!

6. Bocephus

Bocephus New Member

Appreciate all the advice I can get. Thank you sir.

7. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Congrats on the rifle. Do yourself a favor and get another scope. Nikon, Leoupold, and Vortex all make quality scopes that won't hurt too much when purchasing. Midway has a nice sale on the Nikon Buckmaster no for 250 ish.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

This about says it all about a Savage 111 & a good scope..........(Quote) What I mean by that, sir, is if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile from Adolf Hitler... with a clean line of sight... Pack your bags, fellas. War's over. Amen. Welcome Aboard Bocephus..................

9. Bocephus

Bocephus New Member

Appreciate the advice. So basically the rifle has every bit of that potential just not with that scope.

10. Axxe55

the 30-06 has plenty of potential and your Savage has the potential to be plenty accurate at longer distances.

a general of thumb i like to use when it comes to shooting is this, it's pretty hard to hit, what you can't see.

so my simple suggestion is to buy a higher quality scope and start realizing the potential of that round and your rifle.

11. Bocephus

Bocephus New Member

Appreciate the advice. Looks like my next investment is going to a higher quality scope.

12. Axxe55

check out the Nikon ProStaff scopes. big on quality, but still decently priced. personally, i would step up to a 4-12 power for that 30-06.

13. Bocephus

Bocephus New Member

I'll do that now!

14. Axxe55

i paid a little over $200 for my 4-12x40 Nikon and i think they might be a bit lower in price now.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you bought the rifle, well it is just a quality scope and mounting system you need. I would go further the the Nikon. Repeatability is very important in shooting distance. Up 10 clicks, down 10 clicks and scope returns to original zero. Less expensive scopes do not do that well. This is a better option for that magnification range.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-4-16x42mm-riflescope-sii416x42md.html

If you have not bought the rifle yet, check this out.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...-combo-howa-model-1500-walnut-and-zeiss-terra
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/how...ackage-new-gun-review-shot-show-2014-preview/

https://www.legacysports.com/hogue-zeiss-package

16. jasonvdb

jasonvdb New Member

I agree you need good optics and finding what works best in the rifle such as hand loading. My cousin is big into makeing his rifles shoot straight and true. Put three nails in the the target at a 100 yards and drive all three all day long. Hand loading good optics very important

Sent from my HTC One using Firearms Talk mobile app

17. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I have the Savage 111 in 30-06. Mine has the accutrigger but not the accustock. As far as accuracy it stands at the top in my collection. I was surprised to see the accuracy it gets right out the box with a sporter barrel. After a good bit of trigger time behind this rifle, at 400 yards with a pumpkin size target I'd make that shot 9/10 times. I have a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmasters with BDC reticle. Good combo. I have had great luck with Hornady 165gt Superformance ammo. Not the cheapest for target( it's my hunting load), but that is the factory ammo that has been most accurate out of my rifle. The rifle itself should be more than capable for you. As others stated it's the scope that will limit you.

18. screach

screach New Member

I bought my savage 111 (.300 Win Mag) back in October, and recently purchased a Leupold VX-3 for somewhere around $450-$500, and it has preformed flawlessly. I really want to test it out at 600 yards, but so far 200-300 yards is a breeze. But the scope has played a major part in accuracy.