Savage model 99

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by robertb6112, Jan 21, 2015.

1. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Does anyone own are have experience with a savage 99? Are some years better then others?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. TLuker

TLuker New Member

99's aren't tack drivers but they are great hunting rifles, and I hope to add one to my collection one day. Like almost everything else the earlier the model the better it was made. The down side to that is you are getting an older rifle which makes it more likely to have a lot more wear and tear. There are various collector sights that will explain the differences in the various models and years but all of them are good rifles. :)

3. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I want it as a hunting rifle. I mostly own military surplus rifles and I don't really wanna take them out.

4. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Have owned a couple and still have one. Other than the fold down rear site that is always down when you don't want it to be and the crappy slide safety they are a fine gun. Still my favorite.

5. Control

Control New Member

I have shot and hunted with a 99 Savage since 1966.

It's my primary big game rifle and I have taken deer and other game with it since then. It's very accurate and reliable.

They made a million of these 99 Savage rifles! That's twice as many as the (pre) 64 M70's!

The Savage 99 is control round feed and mine has a top tang safety.

[​IMG]

6. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

What's the average price? I want one in .308 or 300 savage. I wouldn't be opposed to other calibers.

7. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The "Break" in models is pre-1950. The post 1950 Mdl. 99 were not the quality or cosmetics of the pre-1950 99s. The checkering bluing and the trim Schnabel forearms are unique to the early rifles and .410 Mdl. 99 shotguns. The rifles with brass counters are also more sought after. Brass and aluminum counters may occur on any Mdl. It depended on what was in the parts bins. It is easy to check the history of your Mdl. 99. These were very accurate rifles. Way ahead of their time. The Military tested the Mdl. 99 Musket in .300 Savage. They did not choose the Musket. They did however like the improved version of the .300 Savage Ctg. It became the .308 and was chamber in the M-14 rifle.

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

8. Control

Control New Member

Look for a 99 that's drilled and tapped on top for scope mounts. I never liked the side mounts.

Also the tang safety is easier to use.

The 300 Savage cartridge is excellent however those rifles are older.

I see them in gunshops and the prices have gone up.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Dont turn your nose up at a 250/3000 aka 250 Savage. Similar to the 257 Roberts in ballistics. The 303 Savage was an unnecessary answer to the 30-30 but very expensive and scarce ammo so I would not go there.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Good luck finding one for less than a GRAND !..............

11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a soft spot for the 99's. I killed my first deer with a borrowed 99 in 300 savage with open sights. I have never owed one of my own but I have shot/used others and like them a lot, but like I said, I have a fondness for them!;)