Firearms Talk banner

Savage Model 99 Accuracy?

22K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Durangokid 
#1 ·
The model 99 just seems to be a great lever action and I was just wondering what kind of accuracy they were capable of?

#2 ·
Only been around one model 99. It was a 308 of unknown model but about a 1988 - '89 I think. The hunter had a redfield 3-9 on it and was a 2" - 2 1/2inch 100 yard rifle. Just remember it because it seemed pretty good concedering how he was shooting it. The hunter was just checking has new scope and was not shooting from a bench. It was over a ATV seat at camp. Alway wished I had bought one when cheaper and more avalible.

#3 ·
Only been around one model 99. It was a 308 of unknown model but about a 1988 - '89 I think. The hunter had a redfield 3-9 on it and was a 2" - 2 1/2inch 100 yard rifle. Just remember it because it seemed pretty good concedering how he was shooting it. The hunter was just checking has new scope and was not shooting from a bench. It was over a ATV seat at camp. Alway wished I had bought one when cheaper and more avalible.

Thanks, I'm thinking hard about picking up one. I can't imagine they're ever going to get any cheaper. So I figure if I want one this is the time to do it. My buddy had one in .308 and best I can remember it was about a 2" gun as well, but that's been awhile.

#4 ·
The one I see around here are over priced even for a real beater ,, but so are most rifles used. Cheaper to buy new it seems. If you find one for a deal ,,Yea it might be worth while. Just give it a good going over. I ain't worried about a well seasond rifle so long as it was take'n care of.

G
#5 ·
I wouldn't want to use one in a bench rest competition, but they should be capable of good hunting accuracy. After all, they were made to be hunting guns. A 99 in .308 should be able to shoot less than 2" groups at 100 yds. w/ good ammo. I would say even close to 1" may be possible.
cottontop

#7 ·
My grandfather and grandmother each had a 99. My grandfathers was in 300 savage and with my father's pet load it shoots 1" -1 1/2. That rifle is my brothers now grrrrrr...... my grandmothers 99 is in 243 and I have shot 1/2" groups with it and with Barnes varmint grenades no less. That rifle is still with my father but I will probably be mine at some point.

#9 ·
Bench? Using rifles very rarely ever see a bench, they are lucky if they find a fencepost or tree limb. I can tell you that a Yucca plant makes a pretty good steady rest when you are prone...kick the chit out of it first to make sure there aint no rattlers in it though.

#10 ·
Bench? Using rifles very rarely ever see a bench, they are lucky if they find a fencepost or tree limb. I can tell you that a Yucca plant makes a pretty good steady rest when you are prone...kick the chit out of it first to make sure there aint no rattlers in it though.

fer shur fer shur:D:D:D:D

#11 ·
The .300 Savage is used for everything by folks in the Rocky Mtns. The .300 Savage was the parent of the .308. It is very easy to reform a .308 to a .300. Back some 50 years ago the 250-3000 Savage was considered to replace the .30 Caliber U.S. Military rounds. Too bad the Armalite M-15 was chambered in the 5.56 the bastard child of the failed old Remington .222 Mag. But hey Remington belonged to E.I. Dupont Co. the mega military contractor. See any connection here. We could have had a 6.35 driving 120 grs bullet at near 3,000 with modern powders.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.