Savage model 93 rear sights

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bernielink, Jun 30, 2012.

1. bernielink

bernielink New Member

Hi Friends, I have a Savage Model 93 22wmr that I want to put a scope on, but the rear sight deprives me of putting the lens cover on. Anyone know how to take the rear sight off? Thanks, Bernie

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I could not find a pic of one with sights. But if the sight is not screwed on then it is dovetailed to the barrel. With a hammer and punch, tap the sight out from left to right. A padded vise makes the job easier. A brass punch lessens the chance of scratching anything.

3. bernielink

bernielink New Member

Thanks

Thanks Hiwall, mine is dovetailed, I'll try your recommendation. Thanks again, Bernie

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Also make sure to spray a LITTLE bit of some type of penetrating oil on it and let it set for a few minutes first. Preferably NOT wd40. 3n1 oil works well wo damaging your bluing.

5. bernielink

bernielink New Member

Glad you told me "not wd40" cause that would have been the first thing I would have used. I have some oil for my electric clippers, would that be OK or do I need to buy some 3n1? Thanks for the advise, Bernie

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Any oil. Pull the dipstick out of your car and rub that on the sight base.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I must say after removing/installing hundreds of dovetailed sights, I have never heard of putting oil on them first. Certainly not a bad idea but not really necessary.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I do it because it makes it just a little bit easier and gives you a better chance of not screwing up your barrels/sights finish.