Savage Model 6C

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Crazvet, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I inherited this rifle from my grandfather's collection, my grandfather asked my dad to pick any gun from the many he owned right before he passed, my dad picked this .22 cause he could shot it lol. I grew up shooting this rifle, remember not even being able to hold it up and dad holding it up so I could pull the trigger:) great memory(as he has passed as well). My question is I've looked up this rifle and have learnt Savage made them for sears in the 50's but the Sears models didn't look as nice as mine, can't find any info on it, any help would be helpful

2. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Well, I can tell you that it has a about $100 rear sight.

4. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Thx for the info, I love the peep sight on it:)

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Good choice!!!!!!

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes called a "gill gun" for the slots right at the breech, or "Click Clack"- when you fire, bolt stays open until you release trigger. You could manipulate the bolt handle (push in, pull out) to switch from manual single to semi-auto

7. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

It does resemble gills to the left of the bolt, as for the sights its as was when my grandfather owned it. Its a great rifle, only problem I've had w it is firing 3 round burst and jamming on the spent casing(due inexperienced cleaning it) other wise it eats cheap bricks of ammo like a champ.

8. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Anyone know the basic history of these rifles?

9. Brant2409

Brant2409 New Member

I have the model 6B and it shoots awesome. I got the gun in really beat up condition and disassembled it and replaced springs and a few screws that where rusted out. Oiled up and put back together I have gone through about 400 rounds and have had no problems with it at all and it can't believe how well it groups. If it is firing 3 round burst sounds like something could be worn out so it is not cycling properly.

10. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm pretty sure it wasn't cycling right due to being dirty, while I had it apart the bolt and carrier are hard chrome(I guess?) It had a little discolor but running my nail across it there's no noticeable wear.

As a teen I would burn tru the cheap 550 blocks of ammo like it was going out of style, then it spent many yrs stored, after something like 9yrs of setting is when the problem started. I've since learnt how easy it is to field strip(turn of the cap), I'm hoping my next range trip will go well

11. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I took her and my shiny new SA XD-S to the range, the XD did great but the old Savage fired a few rounds fine then three round burst and then a round stuck in the feed tube. My biggest issue is I don't have the extra money for a gunsmith, I'm very mechanically inclined I'd love to repair it myself but have no ideal where to start??? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

12. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm still having issues w my old Savage, it will fire maybe a few rounds semi then will do a three round burst and a live round will get caught between the feeding arm and the chamber. This happens w any ammo I've tried from cheap 500-550 blocks to CCI mini-mag. This gun means a lot to me, I currently have no funds to pay a gunsmith to repair it and I have three children I wanna introduce to shootin w the same rifle my dad taught me with

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  13. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

That is a common ailment with those old Savage auto's. They have many parts that wear and need replacement to fix them.

14. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Do you know if it's mostly springs or actual parts of the bolt and carrier? I see wear on the bolt but to my untrained eye doesn't seem to be excessive, it really appears that the bolt is chromed. Also are there places that sell the parts needed to repaired?

15. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

16. 1kcender

1kcender New Member

I too have inherited this model savage from my grandfather. Mine also has done this in the past. What I found was causing mine to do this was the screws attaching the trigger group to the barrel had loosened up. A little blue lock tight and problem solved. Hope this helps.

17. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Thx 1kcender, I'll check those suspect screws when I get a chance!

18. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

The east answer is very often the correct one. I'm sorry I assume too much (I would have checked many things first before replacing any parts). Thanks 1kcender.

19. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

When(if ever) my budget permits may be a good ideal to buy high wear parts, so even if they quit selling them won't have ta worry bout it wearing out! And of course I haven't tried the screws yet, so it very well could be wore parts